Sheffield Wednesday

Not really.

I still fucking hate red.

What do you think of Sunderland?

I hate the redshirt Establishment cartel and Tottenham, but have no particular issue with Forest and I have always liked Sunderland.

What do you think of Sunderland?

I hate the redshirt Establishment cartel and Tottenham, but have no particular issue with Forest and I have always liked Sunderland.
I’ve had a soft spot for the.mackems, ever since the 1973 FA Cup final

Similarity with Forest, as they were led by Brian Clough, whom I regard as the greatest British manager.

My hatred of red is totally irrational, in certain ways.

I’ve had a soft spot for the.mackems, ever since the 1973 FA Cup final

Similarity with Forest, as they were led by Brian Clough, whom I regard as the greatest British manager.

My hatred of red is totally irrational, in certain ways.

I agree about Clough, especially you see what he achieved from very little initially at Derby and Forest. In my Sheffield student days I went to watch his mid to late 80s Forest team sometimes when City weren’t playing. Usually a good watch.

I agree about Clough, especially you see what he achieved from very little initially at Derby and Forest. In my Sheffield student days I went to watch his mid to late 80s Forest team sometimes when City weren’t playing. Usually a good watch.
I know Peter Taylor was a huge part of Clough's success, but Brian was the figurehead.

Their success was no fluke, either, as proven by what they achieved at Hartlepool and Derby.

Have you read his autobiography?

I know Peter Taylor was a huge part of Clough's success, but Brian was the figurehead.

Their success was no fluke, either, as proven by what they achieved at Hartlepool and Derby.

Have you read his autobiography?
I've read Jounalist Duncan Hamilton's book on Clough
" only if you kiss me "
Very enlightening ,and very funny..

Ive the up most respect for a manager who saw the potential in Birmingham City,s violent centre forward Kenny Burns ,signed him and promptly played him at centre back,where he was voted Player of the year in his first season by his fellow professionals ( or was it football writers ?) When forest stormed the league...Burns continued being violent at centre back but also showed great genuine ability in his new found posistion.

Plucking striker Gary Birtles from non league Long Eaton Town and throwing him into a European Cup 1st round 1st leg v European Champions Liverpool at the City ground ,when Unkown Birtles terrrorised England international centre backs Phil Thompson and Emlyn Hughes...scoring the 1st goal in a famous 2nil victory..

Signing Roy Keane from amateur outfit Cobh Ramblers in Ireland for a reported 40k and putting the 19 year old in for his debut away at Liverpool ,where by all accounts he was outstanding ...and I've heard that from Liverpool fans.

ridiculously brave, inspired signings like that maybe defined his managerial career..together with the trophies.

Cloughs playing career is often overlooked too..an astonishing 251 goals in 274 games for Middelsborogh and Sunderland ....

Last edited:
I've read Jounalist Duncan Hamilton's book on Clough
" only if you kiss me "
Very enlightening ,and very funny..

Ive the up most respect for a manager who saw the potential in Birmingham City,s violent centre forward Kenny Burns ,signed him and promptly played him at centre back,where he was voted Player of the year in his first season by his fellow professionals ( or was it football writers ?) When forest stormed the league...Burns continued being violent at centre back but also showed great ability in his new found posistion.

Plucking striker Gary Birtles from long Eaton town and throwing him into a European Cup 1st round 1st leg v European Champions Liverpool
at the City ground ,when Unkown Birtles terrrorised England international centre backs Phil Thompson and Emlyn Hughes...scoring the 1st goal in a famous 2nil victory..
Signing Roy Keane from Cobh Gamblers in Ireland for 40k and putting the 19 year old in for his debut away at Liverpool ,where by all accounts he was outstanding ...and I've heard that from Liverpool fans.

ridiculously brave, inspired signings like that maybe defined his managerial career..together with the trophies.

Cloughs playing career is often overlooked too..an astonishing 251 goals in 274 games for Middelsborogh and Sunderland ....
His first Forest side was full of rejects. Larry Lloyd, John Robertson, Burns, as you said, Ian Bowyer, etc.

It was only after they’d become successful that they were able to buy players such as Trevor Francis and Peter Shilton.

His description in his autobiography of how he and Taylor went about selling their vision to Dave MacKay of how they wanted to utilise him is fascinating.

It’s probably out of print now. I picked up a copy for a quid in Tesco.

Wednesday have been a bit like City over the years, nicking defeat from the jaws of victory and fucking up spectacularly.

Share their town with a bunch of sour faced losers....remind you of anyone ?

His first Forest side was full of rejects. Larry Lloyd, John Robertson, Burns, as you said, Ian Bowyer, etc.

It was only after they’d become successful that they were able to buy players such as Trevor Francis and Peter Shilton.

His description in his autobiography of how he and Taylor went about selling their vision to Dave MacKay of how they wanted to utilise him is fascinating.

It’s probably out of print now. I picked up a copy for a quid in Tesco.
Another reject in Clough s 1st side at forest was ex City left back Colin Barrett.

Yeah, I’d forgotten about him.
Easy to forget about Barrett, until you see his brilliant goal against Liverpool in the European cup 1st leg " 'he's the left back remember "

Whilst Liverpool players,were shocked at being 1nil down In the first leg,they were no doubt confident of over turning forest at Anfield.

The Barrett goal made Souness mcDermot Case etc etc look round at each other and any confidence left ..,visibly drained away...
0-0 at Anfield and the champions of Europe were out at the 1st attempt.

A good way of remembering Barrett is The BBB .holy trinity..the 3 players from City s late 60s youth team who left and all won European glory .with Forest.

Stan Bowles, Ian Bowyer and Colin Barrett.

Bowles " only " won the super cup with Forest , Bowyer and Barrett the European Cup.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.