Slaughter and the dogs

Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
I think Morrissey and Billy Duffy were members of the band for a very short period.

Not quite.

There was another Wythenshawe band, Ed Banger & The Nosebleeds. When the singer of S&TD left, Ed jumped ship and sang for S&TD.
Morrissey and Billy Duffy then joined a new look (and shortened name) The Nosebleeds, doing only 2 gigs (one supporting Magazine at The Ritz, the other one bottom of the bill with S&TD and John Cooper Clark at The Poly) before breaking up...
Billy Duffy then joined S&TD and when Ed Banger left S&TD (are you all keeping up!!), Duffy recommended Morrissey as replacement. Apparently he went down to London for an audition but never heard back!

As for Slaughter &TD, they started out as a glam band, all Bowie heads. Then they went punk after the Sex Pistols first gig at The Free Trade Hall in June 1976.
Buzzcocks (who's Pete Shelley and Howard Devoto organised the gigs) asked them to join them on the bill at the Free Trade Hall for the second Pistols gig in July 1976, 4 weeks later.
S&TD agreed to be bottom of the bill and also offered to print the tickets for the gig. This they did, but cheekily placed S&TD top of the bill above The Sex Pistols and completely ommitted Buzzcocks name, much to the annoyance of Shelley / Devoto!
Here is a link to the ticket - <a class="postlink" href="http://www.mdmarchive.co.uk/archive/showartefact.php?aid=7142&vid=6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mdmarchive.co.uk/archive/sho ... 7142&vid=6</a>

City fan and future Joy Division / New Order manager Rob Gretton managed the band for a while as well as also producing a S&TD fanzine.

A very good book to get covering this period is Dave Nolan's ''I swear I was there'' about the 2 Pistols gigs at the Free Trade Hall and live performance on Granada's 'So It Goes' programme. Has interviews with band members and others, discussing S&TD amongst every other bands on the scene at the time.

der bomber28 said:
Bought this months city mag, and there's a piece by Kevin Cummins on Tony Wilson.
Anyway there is a pic of my uncles old band (slaughter) with Tony, And it got me wondering. Have any older blues on here heard of the band, and if so what did you think of them. my memories are a bit fuzzy as I was a bit young when they were about. I have their albums and quite a bit of memorabilia, but it would be nice to hear your thought's or memories of them.

Cheers.

yes.....I had a few of their singles....cranked up really high was one but can't remember the others..........

Ducado said:
Where Have All The Boot Boys Gone? A classic of it's time

I had that on a 12" single and swapped it for some old shite, then I found out it was worth a small fortune :-(

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
I think Morrissey and Billy Duffy were members of the band for a very short period.

Not quite.

There was another Wythenshawe band, Ed Banger & The Nosebleeds. When the singer of S&TD left, Ed jumped ship and sang for S&TD.
Morrissey and Billy Duffy then joined a new look (and shortened name) The Nosebleeds, doing only 2 gigs (one supporting Magazine at The Ritz, the other one bottom of the bill with S&TD and John Cooper Clark at The Poly) before breaking up...
Billy Duffy then joined S&TD and when Ed Banger left S&TD (are you all keeping up!!), Duffy recommended Morrissey as replacement. Apparently he went down to London for an audition but never heard back!

As for Slaughter &TD, they started out as a glam band, all Bowie heads. Then they went punk after the Sex Pistols first gig at The Free Trade Hall in June 1976.
Buzzcocks (who's Pete Shelley and Howard Devoto organised the gigs) asked them to join them on the bill at the Free Trade Hall for the second Pistols gig in July 1976, 4 weeks later.
S&TD agreed to be bottom of the bill and also offered to print the tickets for the gig. This they did, but cheekily placed S&TD top of the bill above The Sex Pistols and completely ommitted Buzzcocks name, much to the annoyance of Shelley / Devoto!
Here is a link to the ticket - <a class="postlink" href="http://www.mdmarchive.co.uk/archive/showartefact.php?aid=7142&vid=6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mdmarchive.co.uk/archive/sho ... 7142&vid=6</a>

City fan and future Joy Division / New Order manager Rob Gretton managed the band for a while as well as also producing a S&TD fanzine.

A very good book to get covering this period is Dave Nolan's ''I swear I was there'' about the 2 Pistols gigs at the Free Trade Hall and live performance on Granada's 'So It Goes' programme. Has interviews with band members and others, discussing S&TD amongst every other bands on the scene at the time.

THIS
was just trying to think this through to post but glad you beat me to it

saw The Dogs in Edinburgh a few times ,a bit too glam for me,but good live

Swales lives said:
Among the the Manc bands of the era, they were pretty much vilified as scumbags, they would nick other bands equipment at gigs and generally be a bunch of cunts.

Sorry OP if that doesn't fit in with what you wanted to hear, but that's what I understand to be the case.

I liked em though, but I was justa kid.

No need to oppologise mate, didn't expect everybody's memories to be all sweetness and light. It's nice to hear both sides, as like I said in my original post, my memories are a bit fuzzy. I never expected for one minute, for everyone to have good things to say about them. Like I said, it's nice to hear all opinions both good and bad.

did they not attract a bit of a NF.skinhead following for a while or am I just getting them completely confused with Skewdriver?

On the Morrissey connection, there is a brief clip here and interview with Mick Rossi at 4 mins 20 secs. Seems his Wythenshawe accent has gone!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG0Gi5KeWLI[/youtube]

PS go to 28 mins and 10 secs, yours truly makes a (slim) appearance ;)

Saw them at rafters 76/77 they came on at midnight only 16 got home about 2 in the morning (192) bus then walked to reddish dad went mad it was city and scum lot ! had a top night seen them loads after that !!

Saw them in 76 or 77 at Belle vue Elizabethan, Eater were also on the bill. Not sure who else as i was off my head. `Where have all the boot boys gone` top tune!<br /><br />-- Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:21 pm --<br /><br />
aka blue jambo said:
did they not attract a bit of a NF.skinhead following for a while or am I just getting them completely confused with Skewdriver?
skrewdriver were the nazi scum shite bastards whose lead singer donaldson is now dead. fuckin scum.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.