Spurs (H) 2nd Leg - Post Match Thread

Managed to curtail a few lads chucking stuff from 110 (think one thing was a lighter) at the celebrating Spurs players after the game. Cut it out, we're better than that. And if you don't need your lighter it can go in my collection.

Incidentally, VAR aside, I thought the ref was pretty good last night. Certainly better than I expected.

totally agree. he was better I think. He was though let down by UEFA and it's stupid one-dimensional use of the VAR system. The only good that will come out of this is that it may make UEFA change the camera angle shots so the ref gets a clearer picture.

To have the ready available angles for all watching at home immediately, and alienate the actual official on the pitch to just the one image is scandalous.

I honestly believe that had he seen the other angles that goal wouldn't have stood

I've been like this all day.

28this.jpg

seconded

Well that was a breath of fresh air, absolutely to the point. None of the smoke & mirrors of other pundits.

I'll only add why if Sergio offside is given by the VAR team as they have drawn a line & he's a mm offside

why did the VAR team not have Sergios penalty retaken after Lloris encroaches forward by a yard? I have

yet to see VAR review any penalty for keeper encroachment, why is this?

Next season in the PL every headed goal scored from a corner or from free kick cross into the box will be

subject to VAR review to see if any player not just the goalscorer has blocked, obstructed, held, pushed etc.

Actually I have immediately seen on the original angle in slow motion that Llorente's arm muscles were still kind of shaking/wobbling
when the ball hit his hip and then it was clear the only reason could have been the impact of the ball.
Ref didn't have the guts to decide that indirect way without seeing the ball touching the arm.

Even under VAR those decisions will happen as long as we have match officials without proper knowledge of players' anatomic movement patterns.

It's kind of funny, we always voted for VAR and once in place it's killing... us! (for Sergios's last minute offside)

Anyway, we should have played 1st leg away like yesterday and score goals.
More determination next time please, Pep.

On the other hand, after watching so many years of CL knockouts, the basic rule is:
clean sheet at home (as long as that away rule exists).

Actually I have immediately seen on the original angle in slow motion that Llorente's arm muscles were still kind of shaking/wobbling
when the ball hit his hip and then it was clear the only reason could have been the impact of the ball.
Ref didn't have the guts to decide that indirect way without seeing the ball touching the arm.

Even under VAR those decisions will happen as long as we have match officials without proper knowledge of players' anatomic movement patterns.

It's kind of funny, we always voted for VAR and once in place it's killing... us! (for Sergios's last minute offside)

Anyway, we should have played 1st leg away like yesterday and score goals.
More determination next time please, Pep.

On the other hand, after watching so many years of CL knockouts, the basic rule is:
clean sheet at home (as long as that away rule exists).

SPOT ON

Are you sure about the rules? Until the rules spell it out next year you can’t infer a decision from an offside rule for a handball decision. Five-live also stated the same, it is hard to take, but take it we must. Last year we were shafted by the referee, this year we were unlucky, but credit to spurs they earned their luck. We are not arrogant rags or self entitled dippers we are Man City and we fight to the end, we celebrate our successes and take our setbacks on the chin with a touch of manc humour and come back stronger.
It's not just me saying it Clattenburg has said you can't score with your hand deliberate or not and Dermot Gallagher has gone into why the general consensus has always been that it's not allowed even though it's not spelled out.
Willy Boly goal IS illegal under handball rules says former referee Dermot Gallagher
So what he's saying is even in his day if a ref sees it 99% of the time they will chalk it off, they don't like you gaining advantage in a goal with the use of the arm and it's been that way for donkeys years.

The problem is with the introduction of VAR and doing things by the book, because it's not spelled out people are using it as a get out clause. So City's frustrations with this decision are in a way being ignored for something they should have cleared up before they introduced VAR. In my view the ref sees it he still rules it out, even before they spell it out for everyone next year for the TV studios to explain to the viewers by the book. The problem is he didn't see it.

Would Spurs have really complained much if it's ruled out? A handball goal against the run of play..."Oh but he didn't mean it..." I mean honestly even as a City fan the minute I saw the behind the goal angle I'd take it on the chin, it should be like the offside rule(I took that last night as painful as it was) and next years "new" rule says that everyone agrees already on that view. The common response is "I thought it was already spelled out that you can't use your hand full stop". I have argued when a keeper kicks it into an attackers hand from point blank range and claims handball to bail himself out, that should be his own fault(Lloris on Sané for example) but it sounds like that wont be allowed either, which is fair enough to stop goals like last night which they didn't deserve lets face it.

It's like claiming a defender who messes up a simple tackle shouldn't concede a penalty to me, if you take the player down without getting the ball first even if you didn't mean it you've messed up as a defender and a penalty should be given. As an attacker if you waste a good ball by bundling it in with your arm or hand directly or indirectly you've messed up, Llornete messed up that chance and it should have been chalked off.

Also there's nothing arrogant or "raggy" about calling out a bad decision(that's a lame copout that's overused on Bluemoon, to force ones opinion onto another), I'm not into the posturing and point scoring. I care about my club, I love this team, they were by far the better team on the night and DID deserve more than they got. There wasn't much in the first leg so on balance they deserved to go through no question for me. It should have been clearer with the squad we have but if they had got that decision right City scrape through, making harder work of it that it needed to be as usual.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.