Squad for next season

chris85mcfc

Just picking up on a point Tolmie made in the Pellegrini thread about being ruthless this summer as far as shipping out is concerned

Personally I wouldn't argue with getting rid of Nasri, Dzeko, Garcia, Rodwell, Nastasic, Richards, Clichy, Boyata, Barry, Lescott and to an extent Hart

This made me think about which current players id be happy going into next season with

Goalkeepers
Hart
Pants
Wright

Defenders

Zabba
Vinny
MDM
Rekik?
Kolarov

Midfielders

Fernandinho
Yaya
Silva
Milner
Navas

Forwards

Aguero
Jovetic
Negredo

That's a squad of 16 so far, and I very much doubt we will be looking to ship out the 10/11 names listed at the top.

I know we brought 5 players in last summer, but I think this summer could be huge in terms of players leaving and an overall replenish of our squad.

We could definitely replace Pants with a homegrown keeper to fill one of the spots.

aguero93:20 said:
We could definitely replace Pants with a homegrown keeper to fill one of the spots.

You do know that we don't need to have any homegrown players, don't you?

117 M34 said:

You do know that we don't need to have any homegrown players, don't you?
As long as we fancy trying to get through the season with only 17 players yeah.

Yea I thought that myself, I can see him moving to Italy and seeking first team football

It's becomes even clearer this season that our squad players just simply don't cut the mustard, whether that be down to them not being of the standard required or not fitting in to the way we play. Either way i can see this being a pretty busy summer

IanBishopsHaircut said:
Personally I wouldn't argue with getting rid of Nasri, Dzeko, Garcia, Rodwell, Nastasic, Richards, Clichy, Boyata, Barry, Lescott and to an extent Hart

The ones in bold won't be going anywhere

I'm fairly certain we won't be getting rid of Nastasic either. Richards is touch-and-go, depending on whether he wants to leave. I'd keep Rodwell as well. Barry and Lescott will obviously go, not really arsed either way about Boyata.

As far as I'm concerned, we certainly don't need the mass cull many are suggesting. It's about getting the best out of the players we have, and adding one or two top drawer players - ideally a centre-half, and a fast, direct wide attacking player, capable of playing on both sides and who poses a goal threat.

Hart, Pantilimon (or new back-up keeper)

Zabaleta, Richards, Kompany, NEW, Nastasic, Demichelis, Clichy, Kolarov

Yaya, Fernandinho, Garcia, Rodwell, Milner, Nasri, Silva, NEW, Navas, Sinclair

Aguero, Dzeko, Negredo, Jovetic

Use that squad smartly, and get the requisite luck with avoiding injuries, and we'd be more than capable of not only winning the league, but also competing in Europe.

sh249 said:
IanBishopsHaircut said:

I'm fairly certain we won't be getting rid of Nastasic either. Richards is touch-and-go, depending on whether he wants to leave. I'd keep Rodwell as well. Barry and Lescott will obviously go, not really arsed either way about Boyata.

As far as I'm concerned, we certainly don't need the mass cull many are suggesting. It's about getting the best out of the players we have, and adding one or two top drawer players - ideally a centre-half, and a fast, direct wide attacking player, capable of playing on both sides and who poses a goal threat.

Use that squad smartly, and get the requisite luck with avoiding injuries, and we'd be more than capable of not only winning the league, but also competing in Europe.

So your saying a new centre half and an attacking wide player is all we need, considering the players that are going to be leaving this summer.

Nasri and Dzeko are going into their final year, id be staggered if Dzeko is offered a new deal so can see him going this summer.

Some of our squad players still fall way short of the standard required at the top level

chris85mcfc said:
sh249 said:
IanBishopsHaircut said:

So your saying a new centre half and an attacking wide player is all we need, considering the players that are going to be leaving this summer.

Nasri and Dzeko are going into their final year, id be staggered if Dzeko is offered a new deal so can see him going this summer.

Some of our squad players still fall way short of the standard required at the top level

Fair enough on Dzeko, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes, nor would I be too disappointed, as good a job as he has done for us. And then obviously he would need replacing - perhaps with a young striker, perhaps with a midfielder (if the new wide man we sign is also capable of doing a job upfront). I don't see Nasri leaving.

And I don't think our squad players do fall well short. Rodwell, for example, showed regularly at Everton that he can perform in the Premier League, and in the only semi-sustained run he's had in the team with us (towards the back-end of last season), he looked good and was our best player on a couple of occasions. Even Sinclair showed at Swansea that he can do it in the Premier League - he's obviously only ever going to be a fringe player for us, but he could be used on occasion. As for some of the others people are suggesting we flirt: Garcia is absolutely fine, used in the right way; Clichy and Kolarov are as good a pair of fullbacks as anyone in the league.

There's no way we will ever have a squad with players of equal ability who can fit in seamlessly, with no drop-off when the top dogs are missing. All teams miss their best players when they're not available - even Bayern. The key is having a balanced squad and making use of it wisely - something which I think has been a bit of a failing of both Mancini and Pellegrini in the past couple of years. Ferguson spent years managing to get by with fairly average squad players contributing to success (Brown, O'Shea, Phil Neville etc.); our squad players are as good as any of them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.