Sturgeon wants another referendum

Just bumping this thread as the usual suspect(s) that cannot seem to restrain themselves from loading important threads with their pet topic - despite that it is a niche and not particularly important subject at this time of momentous events

If you look through the other thread you will see it was other people who introduced her.

My fear is that the calling of a general election yesterday will strengthen the nat position in Scotland. Ruth Davidson will have to play a blinder to make inroads up here for a manifesto that includes hard brexit. If SNP win another landslide there will be no argument about a second referendum and I can see it being held within months. So I am finding it hard to see how May is attempting to unite the Union by this act.

My fear is that the calling of a general election yesterday will strengthen the nat position in Scotland. Ruth Davidson will have to play a blinder to make inroads up here for a manifesto that includes hard brexit. If SNP win another landslide there will be no argument about a second referendum and I can see it being held within months. So I am finding it hard to see how May is attempting to unite the Union by this act.

The argument against the second referendum is that it has to be ratified by the UK government. I see no reason to ratify it now when the Scots had an independent referendum very recently and they won't know what the UK will look like outside the EU until we've actually left. May can tell us what she wants from negotiations but the negotiations are also heavily dependent on the EU.

Perhaps you should have politely reminded them that they were going off topic and that there is a specific thread for indyref2?

Telling to see you're still blaming me.

You couldn't make this up.

Tory Boys bring it up, I respond, but it's my fault it is being debated on that thread?

Go figure :)

The argument against the second referendum is that it has to be ratified by the UK government. I see no reason to ratify it now when the Scots had an independent referendum very recently and they won't know what the UK will look like outside the EU until we've actually left. May can tell us what she wants from negotiations but the negotiations are also heavily dependent on the EU.
Make no mistake - if the SNP wins this election in Scotland, and the Tories don’t, then Theresa May’s attempt to block our mandate to hold another referendum when the time is right will crumble to dust.

Read more at: http://www.scotsman.com/news/opinio...urn-may-s-blocking-strategy-to-dust-1-4423805

Sturgeon is being clear that voting in Scotland at this election will be about the right to hold a second referendum. The result in Scotland will give May the ammunition to either stick to her guns or back down. I fear it will be the latter.

Being someone that has spent a lot of time in Scotland in the last couple of years, I am not so sure at all that the SNP is so well set.

Apart from their obsession with Indyref2 I have heard a lot of concerns expressed about their delivery on the rest of the key domestic areas they should also be focussing on. I have definitely picked up views that the SNP are so obsessed with independence they are not applying themselves to the day job.

Also given a lot of people voted Leave and there is a majority in Scotland (according to the polls) that are against Indyref2 - they could in fact be in a much more precarious position than their fan base on here would have you think. They cannot really win anymore seats - they are 'maxed out' and if people that are disappointed with their delivery on domestic issues and those that wish to leave the EU place their votes elsewhere - come June, they may not be sounding so 'triumphant' and demanding as they have been in recent years.

It will be interesting to see what the strength of the rhetoric is like should they lose, lets say 7-10 seats. All this air-time she gets to 'bang the drum' might become more challenging as she gets asked uncomfortable questions rather just given free rein to bang on.

Being someone that has spent a lot of time in Scotland in the last couple of years, I am not so sure at all that the SNP is so well set.

Apart from their obsession with Indyref2 I have heard a lot of concerns expressed about their delivery on the rest of the key domestic areas they should also be focussing on. I have definitely picked up views that the SNP are so obsessed with independence they are not applying themselves to the day job.

Also given a lot of people voted Leave and there is a majority in Scotland (according to the polls) that are against Indyref2 - they could in fact be in a much more precarious position than their fan base on here would have you think. They cannot really win anymore seats - they are 'maxed out' and if people that are disappointed with their delivery on domestic issues and those that wish to leave the EU place their votes elsewhere - come June, they may not be sounding so 'triumphant' and demanding as they have been in recent years.

It will be interesting to see what the strength of the rhetoric is like should they lose, lets say 7-10 seats. All this air-time she gets to 'bang the drum' might become more challenging as she gets asked uncomfortable questions rather just given free rein to bang on.
They will lose a few seats it's almost impossible to stay at such a high of 56, but even if it is 7 they would still be at a very high number. But the SNP vote is so high because it has defected from labour, so were is it going to go ? Back to Corbyn's labour, doubtful, to the anonymous lib dems again doubtful . All the way over to the Tories unlikely except for a small handful. So where else can the 50 % SNP vote go to ?. Think I'll be staying with the SNP, as an ex labour voter.

Make no mistake - if the SNP wins this election in Scotland, and the Tories don’t, then Theresa May’s attempt to block our mandate to hold another referendum when the time is right will crumble to dust.

Read more at: http://www.scotsman.com/news/opinio...urn-may-s-blocking-strategy-to-dust-1-4423805

Sturgeon is being clear that voting in Scotland at this election will be about the right to hold a second referendum. The result in Scotland will give May the ammunition to either stick to her guns or back down. I fear it will be the latter.

Sturgeon cannot make that promise as she does not and can not have the power to enforce it.

It's like Labour promising a pet unicorn to every little girl in the country. It might win votes and voters may feel that they deserve to receive what they voted for, but granting that promise is outside of the party's power.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.