Sturgeon wants another referendum

Yet a few voted to leave the eu for those same nationalist reasons, not you, but there is a group o brexiteers I come across every day who voted for a hard brexit and amongst their other conversations is is how much we should cut foreign aid, and how Somalia should sort itself out. How foreigners are over here scrounging yet still managing to steal all the jobs. Every sort of phobia going gets ticked off, they could be Daily Mail headline writers.
Now lets be clear in no way am I saying its a majority or even a large number that voted leave that think like this but it does exist as I'm sure it does with Scottish nationalism. But it's not the whole story, and the only reason some of us may vote yes.
For me the deciding factor and the only reason to vote yes wouldnt be nationalist at all . i would only vote yes if staying integrated in the EU was guaranteed.

I agree but there is a reason why UKIP and its members are rightly rounded on and the same should apply to those within the SNP with the exact same wants and outlook.

As an Englishman living and working in Scotland, i see the arguments on an almost daily basis now and the fall out between people who have been friends for years yet are now divided over this issue.

Nationalism is divisive and it leads to men and women thinking and sometimes doing unspeakable things and history tells us that.

Economically, I think Scotland would be insane to vote for independence. It doesn't always boil down to money, of course. Britain would undoubtedly have been better off in the 40's if we'd acquiesced with the Nazis. I also think England and Wales would be better off financially if the Scots went their own way, but it doesn't mean I think it would, on balance, be a good thing. As I said, it isn't just about money.

As a footnote, I think anyone talking of independence from London for the North is equally deluded, if they think it won't have a serious detrimental impact on economic wellbeing in the North of England. Insane notion.

Last edited:
You miss my point.
May says the Scots cannot have a referendum because they don't know enough details about what they would be voting for. That didn't seem to stop the UK having one.

I get your point but as I stated no one was going to know those details until after we leave and they are decided. But the Scots have the chance to see if they like it. Personally I would like an end to the bribery and appeasement of the Scottish before any 2nd referendum. A fair deal for all people of the uk. I think that is more important than seeing what a brexit Britain looks like. Then if they want to leave so be it.

Economically, I think Scotland would be insane to vote for independence. It doesn't always boil down to money, of course. Britain would undoubtedly have been better off in the 40's if we'd acquiesced with the Nazis. I also think England and Wales would be better off financially if the Scots went their own way, but it doesn't mean I think it would, on balance, be a good thing. As I said, it isn't just about money.

As a footnote, I think anyone talking of independence from London for the North is equally deluded, if they think it won't have a serious detrimental impact on economic wellbeing in the North of England. Insane notion.

You're right, a desire for self determination isn't just about the money.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.