Sunday trading

tidyman said:
Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
bellbuzzer said:
essential services do not have a chance to " keep sunday special"

those who oppose it are not content to not shop on sundays themselves, they want to impose their will on those who believe it is a relic of an age long gone, when going to church was socially compulsory,
The hilarious notion that families need sunday bonding is pitifully desperate. It is also undemocratic, like having unelected bishops in the house of lords.
Again if you believe shops should be shut on sundays, then dont shop, but spare the rest of us the preaching.

Yer right, BB. Much of the agitation we find today is from people who want other people to do something they do or don't do! Make yer own personal choice and leave other fuckers alone!

It's not always quite so easy as making your own choice though is it? If your boss suddenly says to you, as from next week we're changing your day off from Sunday to Wednesday, take it or leave it, not many people can afford to choose to turn it down.

It isn't just religious nutcases who like to spend time with their families at a weekend. For a lot of people, Sunday might be the only day they get to spend more than a couple of hours with their children.

I would think your boss would be breaking all sorts of employment laws if you have a contract. Just as a counter though you would get plenty of time with your children during school holidays and the Saturday as well.

Im not really bothered with the Sunday trading laws as they dont seem to hamper either the nation or the economy of the nation but they are only set up so we can spend the day worshipping some thing that may not exist

hilts said:
bellbuzzer said:
essential services do not have a chance to " keep sunday special"

those who oppose it are not content to not shop on sundays themselves, they want to impose their will on those who believe it is a relic of an age long gone, when going to church was socially compulsory,
The hilarious notion that families need sunday bonding is pitifully desperate. It is also undemocratic, like having unelected bishops in the house of lords.
Again if you believe shops should be shut on sundays, then dont shop, but spare the rest of us the preaching.

In fairness why should people be forced to work because some halfwit can't be bothered shopping on any of the other six days in the week? religion shouldn't come into it anymore, most of us work hard enough nothing wrong with a chill out day

Im pretty sure you do get days off. Just,not when the business requires you to work. Nobody is forced to work, but the man paying your bills gets to dictate when you are needed and that is why he will pay you. Chill out days are the other days off you get through the week on which you are not required by the business to work.

And as for people refusing a job for having to work sundays, fucking right they should lose there benefits!!!!!!!
Why should they get money from the state if there is an opportunity to work, but they don't fancy working a weekend.

I might quit my job, and start claiming, ill go for interviews but i don't fancy anything with long hours, manual labour, talking to people or cleaning up. Im after a job where i can sit and play xbox, eat shit and get drunk all day. If i cant find that job ill just keep claiming.

Im not bashing people on benefits, because most WANT a job, but there are some people, (i have interviewed) that have this notion that they will work monday to friday 9-5 and nothing else. Unfortunately thats not how the world turns for most people.

Believe it or not, sunday is a massive trading day for some types of business, and without it a lot would go under, causing job losses and a thread about unemployment and how we are not doing enough to create new jobs. (As long as its not the weekend)
Beggars cant be choosers and all that.

Anyway rant over

Just out of interest what is the rough estimate of people claiming benefits because their religious beliefs are preventing them from working days that the sort of work they're after requires?

I'll have a pop at nine. Maybe 14 if we're including Northern Ireland. It's not the biggest threat to the countries economy is it?

Cant see the problem with Sunday shops being open for long hours, Businesses should not ask there current staff to work these extra hours but advertise instead for unemployed people or those on benefits to work on a Sunday.

pominoz said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
pominoz said:
What about separated parents that can only see their kids a weekends?
How would changing the working hours on a Sunday effect that?

People will be made to work weekends, this "they have a choice" is bullshit, as you know.
Most businesses dont work Saturdays although there is no restriction on that. Unless you work in retail etc Saturday and Sunday is overtime rate.

Cant see it being changed though as we are a Christian country apparently

Archaic laws in this country relating to Sunday trading. Shops should be able to trade when they want.

BoyBlue_1985 said:
pominoz said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
How would changing the working hours on a Sunday effect that?

People will be made to work weekends, this "they have a choice" is bullshit, as you know.
Most businesses dont work Saturdays although there is no restriction on that. Unless you work in retail etc Saturday and Sunday is overtime rate.

Cant see it being changed though as we are a Christian country apparently
Why should retail be exempt?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.