Supermarket Whisky Pricewatch

NeilYoungIsBack

Blue moon sinking from the weight of the load...
As a service to Bluemooners I am monitoring malt whisky prices (and maybe one or two blends) at least between now and Christmas. This time of year the supermarkets tend to discount malts to try and entice (typically male) whisky drinkers into their stores in the hope we'll load up our trolleys with other things. In my case it's usually a forlorn hope, but I can't blame them for trying.

Anyway, things haven't hotted up properly as yet, but there's a few interesting offers to be had:

First, Tesco. Only one really interesting offer in my view: Old Pulteney 12 yo is currently £7 off the usual price, £32 down to £25. That's 22% off, so I'll be after a couple of those as I do like this whisky.

Tesco also have a few quid off various of the Glenfiddich and Isle of Jura ranges, but TBH they usually do so I am not sure to what extent these are 'specials': and in any case I'm not so bothered about either of those .

Next, to Sainsburys, where they have 20% off 12yo Highland Park and also 20% off litre bottles of Glenmorangie 10 yo: I'm well stocked on both off those, however, so I wont be bothering this time.

For those who like their malt to be a bit more peaty, Waitrose have £6 (15%) off Talisker storm.

Islay malts appear not to be discounted by any of the supermarkets this week, but it surely won't be long.

For those a little more adventurous, Waitrose also have cask strength Aberlour A'bunadh (60.7% ABV) quite heavily discounted at the moment: £8 off a bottle normally priced at £41.50. Note: this is Batch 47 stuff, which has been criticised in some quarters: I cant comment as I haven't opened and tried mine yet...

Finally, apart from the usual Glenfiddich discountings, Asda have Balvenie Caribbean Cask £5 off at £40 per bottle.

Happy shopping, and another update in maybe 1 week's time...

It never fails to astound me how alcohol means so much to some people and is such a dominant factor in their lives.

jacko74 said:
It never fails to astound me how alcohol means so much to some people and is such a dominant factor in their lives.
Our lives are empty.

Great work many thanks,i'm not really into Whiskey but want some Lagavulin 16 year old for my dad.Just under £40 at the moment at Costco but normally this price,hoping to pay around £30 and may try some myself,if I can get a decent deal .

NeilYoungIsBack said:
As a service to Bluemooners I am monitoring malt whisky prices (and maybe one or two blends) at least between now and Christmas. This time of year the supermarkets tend to discount malts to try and entice (typically male) whisky drinkers into their stores in the hope we'll load up our trolleys with other things. In my case it's usually a forlorn hope, but I can't blame them for trying.

Anyway, things haven't hotted up properly as yet, but there's a few interesting offers to be had:

First, Tesco. Only one really interesting offer in my view: Old Pulteney 12 yo is currently £7 off the usual price, £32 down to £25. That's 22% off, so I'll be after a couple of those as I do like this whisky.

Tesco also have a few quid off various of the Glenfiddich and Isle of Jura ranges, but TBH they usually do so I am not sure to what extent these are 'specials': and in any case I'm not so bothered about either of those .

Next, to Sainsburys, where they have 20% off 12yo Highland Park and also 20% off litre bottles of Glenmorangie 10 yo: I'm well stocked on both off those, however, so I wont be bothering this time.

For those who like their malt to be a bit more peaty, Waitrose have £6 (15%) off Talisker storm.

Islay malts appear not to be discounted by any of the supermarkets this week, but it surely won't be long.

For those a little more adventurous, Waitrose also have cask strength Aberlour A'bunadh (60.7% ABV) quite heavily discounted at the moment: £8 off a bottle normally priced at £41.50. Note: this is Batch 47 stuff, which has been criticised in some quarters: I cant comment as I haven't opened and tried mine yet...

Finally, apart from the usual Glenfiddich discountings, Asda have Balvenie Caribbean Cask £5 off at £40 per bottle.

Happy shopping, and another update in maybe 1 week's time...

I bought a bottle of A'bunadh.
The first malt I did not enjoy. No matter what I did with it.

jacko74 said:

You're one of them then im guessing, seeing as you clicked on a thread called "Whisky Pricewatch"?

dronefromsector7g said:
jacko74 said:
Our lives are empty.
But our glasses are always (briefly) full!

denislawsbackheel said:
I bought a bottle of A'bunadh.
The first malt I did not enjoy. No matter what I did with it.

The early batches were very good, the later batches have been more variable with less mature spirit. They may also have skimped on the quality of casks used in maturation.

Of course, it needs a lot of water even when its at its best.

Glenfarclas 15 or 18 and Glendronach 15 yo Revival are more dependable sherried malts, but you wont find them in supermarkets.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.