Supermarket Whisky Pricewatch

I recommend to all of you - have a trip to Aldi and buy a bottle of Glen Orrin malt. It's dirt cheap - £11 odd for 70cl - but tastes lovely.

I've been priced out of the malt whisky market - and Irish whisky too. I am a lover of Glen Fiddich, Glen Morangie, Bushmills (nectar!) and many others (any others!) but, £30 + for a bottle of malt is just too much these days, I'm afraid.

If, like me you love your whisky, give this cheap one at Aldi a try.

Do you really like the taste of whisky? It tastes like a 100 year old sweaty sock imo. I've tried numerous times to aquire a taste for it but I can never get used to the taste or smell. I do like the smell of Talisker but still think it tastes rank.

Is whicky something you appriciate more as you get older?

jacko74 said:
It never fails to astound me how alcohol means so much to some people and is such a dominant factor in their lives.

for the past 5000 years as well, though the majority of that time it was because it was safer than water to drink, gave people time to perfect some truly classic beverages, like whiskey, port, cognac. etc/ not all drinkers are drunks

Has any one tried Stillspirits equipment??

Love brewing.co.uk stock it. Others outlets available.

Basic kit £188

Make your own spirits for £2 a bottle.

I have tried some of the various drinks you can make and they are very good. (Hicup)

urban genie said:
jacko74 said:
It never fails to astound me how alcohol means so much to some people and is such a dominant factor in their lives.

for the past 5000 years as well, though the majority of that time it was because it was safer than water to drink, gave people time to perfect some truly classic beverages, like whiskey, port, cognac. etc/ not all drinkers are drunks

It's not so much the actual DRINKING of alcohol that I've got a problem with, we've all got to have some crutch to blot out the misery of our sad, pointless existence.. it's peoples constant need to tell the world what they're fave drink is, what they're currently drinking, why they're drinking it, where they're drinking it, where they buy it from, how much they pay for it etc, etc, etc......

jacko74 said:
urban genie said:
jacko74 said:

It's not so much the actual DRINKING of alcohol that I've got a problem with, we've all got to have some crutch to blot out the misery of our sad, pointless existence.. it's peoples constant need to tell the world what they're fave drink is, what they're currently drinking, why they're drinking it, where they're drinking it, where they buy it from, how much they pay for it etc, etc, etc......

Fair enough, wasn't having a go by the way, was pointing out Alcohol consumption has been a factor of life in many places for many millennia, and has been a prominent factor in the social habits of British people for centuries so I suppose , that as with anything in life if you find a good deal on a decent product you let people know as there will be a lot of like minded people who enjoy a drink who would appreciate the info. I understand if what you mean if you were on about those who have to tell everyone that they had 10 pints the night before.

NeilYoungIsBack said:
wireblue said:
Have you tried askaig or ileach? Sell it in an independent shop near me called corks out. They're islay but I've never had them.
Great thread by the way.

Thanks for the positive feedback, it's encouraged me to carry on...!

A number of Islay single malts are bottled by independent bottlers:

Finlaggan = cask strength Lagavulin
Port Askaig = Caol Ila, available at varying strengths including cask strength
The Ileach = cask strength Laphroaig (although I don't think you'll find that confirmed in writing anywhere)

These independent bottlings are sometimes quite a bit cheaper than the official releases from distilleries, so are worth looking out for.

BTW, I forgot to mention Morrissons at all...they've got Balvenie Doublewood discounted by £4/bottle at the moment....

Cheers - I may give one of them a go then. The askaig was £47 but the ileach was only £32. Was just intrigued as I thought I knew all the islays

The Ledge said:
I'm on the look out for Ardbeg 10 Year Old. Can't believe the days existed five years ago when you used to be able to buy this beauty for £23 from Tescos... wish I'd bought a pallet of the stuff!

You speakamalanguage, Ledge.

Just what has happened to the price of (certain brands) of Islay, in the last couple of years.
Up to a couple of years ago, when it was on offer, you could pick up a bottle of Laphroaig for £20-22 after discount. When it's on discount now, you're lucky to see it under £30. Did they have a bad year 14 years ago, which made them ramp their prices up. Ardbeg was ALWAYS a luxury purchase for me, but a deserved one. Now you never see it under £40.....scandalous.

I also resent paying £30+ for Penderyn. It's nice, but not £30 nice.

Anyway, great thread OP
I always tend to look on Sainsbury's/Tesco's website (to save petrol and a wasted journey) to see what they've got on offer. I NEVER buy malt without a reduction, I'd rather wait. Apart from what I've got next to me, now. Ben Bracken (Lidl, £20). Not fantastiche, but kindish to the pocket, and drinkable

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.