supporters in general

fathellensbellend said:
football fans have definately changed over the years, and i guess it boils down to how much each and everyone of us pays to watch out team.

when i first started watching city i was always amazed at how the support always steadfastly clapped the team off no matter how shit we were, especially away.

i remember as a kid going to ipswich, we lost 4-0, we were 3 down in 12 minutes, and yet the city support sang and sang.

again at leicester under jimmy frizzell, we lost 4-0, perry suckling letting one in through his legs, and yet the city fans sang oblivious to the hammering being dished out.

as an impressionable kid, i thought city's support was marvellous, somehow unique, a fanbase that loved the club regardless of the shit being dished up.

fast forward 20 years or so, and now we seem to be supporters only up to the point of winning, or achieving our goals, we struggle to see the bigger picture, we have money so why are we not in the top 6.

now this weekend liverpool and chelsea got booed off, so its not unique to city, but i beg the question are we only supporters when we are winning, and anything less is not good enough.

city have mitigating circumstances this season, we have lost johnson and petrov, and we simply dont have the back up, not until january, where i guess if we sign players and start winning we all become city supporters again.

the team and the manager need our backing now, so instead of ripping our club apart amongst ourselves lets get behind city, because we are in hell of a position for the forseeable future.
fantastic post from a seasoned fan.

football fans have definately changed over the years, and i guess it boils down to how much each and everyone of us pays to watch out team.

when i first started watching city i was always amazed at how the support always steadfastly clapped the team off no matter how shit we were, especially away.

i remember as a kid going to ipswich, we lost 4-0, we were 3 down in 12 minutes, and yet the city support sang and sang.

again at leicester under jimmy frizzell, we lost 4-0, perry suckling letting one in through his legs, and yet the city fans sang oblivious to the hammering being dished out.

as an impressionable kid, i thought city's support was marvellous, somehow unique, a fanbase that loved the club regardless of the shit being dished up.

fast forward 20 years or so, and now we seem to be supporters only up to the point of winning, or achieving our goals, we struggle to see the bigger picture, we have money so why are we not in the top 6.

now this weekend liverpool and chelsea got booed off, so its not unique to city, but i beg the question are we only supporters when we are winning, and anything less is not good enough.

city have mitigating circumstances this season, we have lost johnson and petrov, and we simply dont have the back up, not until january, where i guess if we sign players and start winning we all become city supporters again.

the team and the manager need our backing now, so instead of ripping our club apart amongst ourselves lets get behind city, because we are in hell of a position for the forseeable future.

I’ve been thinking similar things recently and I think there are various reasons for it.

Football has become more gentrified as a whole for one.

I think the passion our fans used to have came from defiance, we knew we were shit but that we should be so much better, so that brings out passion and loyalty. We’ve never been the sort of fan base who revels in the success of being the best like that other mob.

We’ve got the highest proportion of fans who’ve been going for over 25 years in the country. That’s great testament to loyalty, but it’s not great for atmosphere. No one is as loud at football in their 50s as they were in their 20s.

It’s a similar problem away from home. You used to see loads of kids in their teens and 20s on away days, they’re usually the rowdy ones wanting to create an atmosphere. Now it’s middle aged men in their 40s and 50s. They’ve all earned the right to go, but how are we going to get the next generation of die hards coming through if they never get chance to go to away games?

It’s essentially a closed shop now on aways. I totally understand the idea of loyalty points and it was a noble idea. But the unintended consequence has been an ageing of our away, die hard fan base, and unfortunately it’s led to a lost generation of City fans who have never got the chance to go away and be consumed with that passion.

The obsession the club has with supporters clubs for away days as well. It’s a different kind of fan who goes to meetings and gets a coach to games than the kind of away fans we got in the 80s and 90s at away games.

Safe standing might help, but the club need to do something to attract more fans in their teens and 20s with fire in their belly to come and be the next generation to create an atmosphere. Maybe 25% of away tickets should go to 16-25s? I don’t know, but they need to do something.

It was about 10 years ago this thread first surfaced and things have just got worse .20 odd years ago Bury beat us but we stayed to the end .Arsenal always gave us a spanking but we always stayed .The price and availability of match day prices play a big part .not being to sit with your mates dont help .Having a family stand that is never full does nowt for the atmosphere sames as all the corperate hospitality places
The club needs a serious rethink and has to get back to basics to embrace the fans .We were gettting 30.000 passionate fans in the old 3rd div .most of the passion has sadly evaporated now

I've never sat with my mates who are scattered around the Etihad. If we could sit together - there'd be more noise - would rub off on other nearby fans = even more noise!!

The calibre of city fans has definitely changed over the years.

There was a loveable rogue with great humour and hope in the fan base. Now, the majority of city fans who are growing up around this club don't know the meaning of soul.

It was always going to happen, with success comes different types of fans.

When players earn millions and have no local connection, and entry prices and kits are exorbitant, you tend to be more detached and demanding.

When you pay 1/6d to sneak into the Kippax schoolboys entrance, age 21, you tend to be more sanguine.

When you pay 1/6d to sneak into the Kippax schoolboys entrance, age 21, you tend to be more sanguine.[/QUOTE]

Those were the days, no shame at all. !

I’ve been thinking similar things recently and I think there are various reasons for it.

Football has become more gentrified as a whole for one.

I think the passion our fans used to have came from defiance, we knew we were shit but that we should be so much better, so that brings out passion and loyalty. We’ve never been the sort of fan base who revels in the success of being the best like that other mob.

We’ve got the highest proportion of fans who’ve been going for over 25 years in the country. That’s great testament to loyalty, but it’s not great for atmosphere. No one is as loud at football in their 50s as they were in their 20s.

It’s a similar problem away from home. You used to see loads of kids in their teens and 20s on away days, they’re usually the rowdy ones wanting to create an atmosphere. Now it’s middle aged men in their 40s and 50s. They’ve all earned the right to go, but how are we going to get the next generation of die hards coming through if they never get chance to go to away games?

It’s essentially a closed shop now on aways. I totally understand the idea of loyalty points and it was a noble idea. But the unintended consequence has been an ageing of our away, die hard fan base, and unfortunately it’s led to a lost generation of City fans who have never got the chance to go away and be consumed with that passion.

The obsession the club has with supporters clubs for away days as well. It’s a different kind of fan who goes to meetings and gets a coach to games than the kind of away fans we got in the 80s and 90s at away games.

Safe standing might help, but the club need to do something to attract more fans in their teens and 20s with fire in their belly to come and be the next generation to create an atmosphere. Maybe 25% of away tickets should go to 16-25s? I don’t know, but they need to do something.
You have hit the nail on the head, some reductions in price to the supporters are long overdue instead of higher wages for players from the TV deals. When City score listening to the radio you would be hard pressed to know if they have scored.No passion and gentrification. Why this hasn't happened at other clubs is the puzzle. Other supporters manage better than us at the moment and it's a fact.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.