Terry Venables RIP

R.I.P Terry Venables

Euro 96 - what a time to be alive.
I was fed up with football after another City relegation, but those three weeks in the summer were fantastic and I loved football again.

As a someone in their mid twenties at the time, who was a huge Oasis fan, as I said, it was a great time to be alive and I'll always be grateful to El Tel and that England team for giving me a great summer (up until the Germany result obviously - but even during that match, the 'high' of going - 1-0 up after two minutes was incredible)

There aren't many managers that transcend football club rivalry.........but I think Terry Venables does.

Was genuinely moved when I heard the news of his passing on Sunday.

It truly nearly came home that summer

Summed up really nice

I was 10 during 1996 and I'm not if sure i'm romanticising it through the lens of nostalgia but I've genuinely never seen a better vibe and sense of unity in this country. It seemed like everyone was just absolutely buzzing. The music, the football, the weather. El Tel was a big part of that and has ever since been my favourite England Manager. RIP.

For thise that didnt get the comment, the lad in the track suit is one Pep Guardilla aged 15.
One of the most interesting connections between City and Barcelona is Malcom Allison's tutoring of El Tel at Crystal Palace, then eventually El Tel going to Barcelona to lay the foundations for Cryff and Pep who eventually comes to City...
Full circle.

Last edited:
Summed up really nice

I was 10 during 1996 and I'm not if sure i'm romanticising it through the lens of nostalgia but I've genuinely never seen a better vibe and sense of unity in this country. It seemed like everyone was just absolutely buzzing. The music, the football, the weather. El Tel was a big part of that and has ever since been my favourite England Manager. RIP.
You're not romanticising it. It was a ridiculously good summer. Oasis were at their peak, Pulp and Blur were about, even Chris Evens was popular on the radio. The first match was the day of the IRA bomb in Manchester but nobody was killed and it didn't really seem to affect the excitement of the Euros.

To draw 1-1 against Switzerland was disappointing, especially as we had Scotland and Holland to come. The Scotland match was a week later and although it was tight in parts, England were always the better team and obviously one of the most iconic goals in the national team's history was scored. That set the good feeling going really and then there's not much to say about the Holland match apart from it being as convincing an England performance as I've seen in my lifetime - the bonus being that Scotland were heading through to the knockouts of a tournament until we conceded the consolation goal. Kluivert's goal sent the Jocks packing so even conceding a goal that night was a positive.

After Holland, the country was on a tidal wave of emotion which probably helped us through the Spain quarter final where we were fortunate to say the least - but we got through and had won a penalty shootout.

I always maintain that we were the better team by some distance against Germany but the tension was unbearable and you could clearly sense that England's players were terrified of making a mistake the more the 120 minutes wore on. Gazza's miss still makes my leg jerk to this day whenever I see it.

Penalties again and our friend Gareth Southgate missed and the Germans had done it again. I truly believe we'd have doen the Czech Republic 3 or 4 nil in the final but it wasn't to be.

I would have loved to have seen El Tel carry on and take us to France '98 but the FA wouldn't back him so he left. Another time where they've wanted a yes man or the safe option.

It wasn't perfect under Terry Venables but it was the most I've ever enjoyed watching England at a tournament. He had the same spirit within the squad as we hear about these days but played football on the front foot and absolutely used the talent at his disposal.

RIP Terry Venables.

We should have won Euro 96.
We were better than Germany in the semi but lost the penalty shoot out.
The problem was the FA not tieing Terry down immediately afterwards to a long contract.
Shameful if you ask me - typical of the football suits though.

Not read the whole thread, so, apologies if this has already been posted - yesterday the Beeb played an old interview with Terry, talking about his early days at Chelsea with Jimmy Greaves.
Jimmy was 3 years older than him and had a car. When Terry got in the first team, Jimmy offered to start giving him a lift from Dagenham. He picked him up for the first time and on the way in, Jimmy said he likes to stop off on the way. He took him to a pub around Gants Hill. Jimmy asked what he fancied to eat. Terry didn't really want anything before the match but said he'll have something like boiled chicken and some rice. Jimmy then made the order, but he had a pint plus his usual - a sunday roast type meal with all the trimmings!
After a while, time was getting on and Terry wanted to get to the ground, and when he asked something like "Are getting going then?" Jimmy says, "No, not yet - I haven't had my pudding!"
Jimmy got his dessert, after a while they left; played the match; won 7-1, and Jimmy scored 5!!!
I guess someone can go back through the stats to find the game to prove the truth or otherwise, but, what a great story about Greavsie - Terry said that he was the Messi of his day, he was that good. I remember seeing Greaves a few times in later years - including the ballet on ice v Spurs in 1967, when he scored their goal in our famous 4-1 win - but not pre 1966, when he was at his best.
As for Terry, one of the best managers ever in British football imho and always came across as a lovely bloke, who'll be sadly missed by all whose lives he touched.
R.I.P.

Summed up really nice

You're not romanticising it. It was a ridiculously good summer. Oasis were at their peak, Pulp and Blur were about, even Chris Evens was popular on the radio. The first match was the day of the IRA bomb in Manchester but nobody was killed and it didn't really seem to affect the excitement of the Euros.

I agree, it isn't romanticising it at all.

I always remember an interview with Chris Evans who said those three weeks were the easiest weeks of his career.

He said that as a Breakfast presenter, his job was to wake the nation and try and get them upbeat for the day ahead.......but during those three weeks, there was a real 'buzz' around the country, that he didn't need to really do anything

(this thread isn't about Chris Evans before we transcend into bashing him - we can do that in off topic!!)

I agree, it isn't romanticising it at all.

I always remember an interview with Chris Evans who said those three weeks were the easiest weeks of his career.

He said that as a Breakfast presenter, his job was to wake the nation and try and get them upbeat for the day ahead.......but during those three weeks, there was a real 'buzz' around the country, that he didn't need to really do anything

(this thread isn't about Chris Evans before we transcend into bashing him - we can do that in off topic!!)
I've never heard that but I remember working and Chris Evans was on the radio every morning. The day after the Holland match in particular just felt like the country was happy.

The last Euros felt good because we were coming out of Covid and we actually got to the final, but Euro 96 was like that multiplied by a thousand.

To draw 1-1 against Switzerland was disappointing, especially as we had Scotland and Holland to come. The Scotland match was a week later and although it was tight in parts, England were always the better team and obviously one of the most iconic goals in the national team's history was scored. That set the good feeling going really and then there's not much to say about the Holland match apart from it being as convincing an England performance as I've seen in my lifetime - the bonus being that Scotland were heading through to the knockouts of a tournament until we conceded the consolation goal. Kluivert's goal sent the Jocks packing so even conceding a goal that night was a positive.

After Holland, the country was on a tidal wave of emotion which probably helped us through the Spain quarter final where we were fortunate to say the least - but we got through and had won a penalty shootout.

I always maintain that we were the better team by some distance against Germany but the tension was unbearable and you could clearly sense that England's players were terrified of making a mistake the more the 120 minutes wore on. Gazza's miss still makes my leg jerk to this day whenever I see it.

Penalties again and our friend Gareth Southgate missed and the Germans had done it again. I truly believe we'd have doen the Czech Republic 3 or 4 nil in the final but it wasn't to be.

I would have loved to have seen El Tel carry on and take us to France '98 but the FA wouldn't back him so he left. Another time where they've wanted a yes man or the safe option.

It wasn't perfect under Terry Venables but it was the most I've ever enjoyed watching England at a tournament. He had the same spirit within the squad as we hear about these days but played football on the front foot and absolutely used the talent at his disposal.

RIP Terry Venables.
Nice summary.
Although the IRA bomb was the morning of England’s 2nd game against the Jocks.
I remember it being proper moody in London after the Germany penalties.

Lovely tribute to El Tel on MOTD last night - clearly loved by Lineker & Shearer.
Shame he was often distracted by his ‘business’ interests.

RIP.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.