Terry Venables RIP

Met Terry when City had a pre ssason tour in 1986, we played his Barcelona in a 4 team tournament in Huelva. He spotted me and my mate at a post match melee of a press conference and beckoned us over, After a chat where he asked us how we were. He pulled a fist full of pesetas notes out and handed some over. Proper nice man (and we had beat em on pens!!) Went the Euro 96 games they were ace and Terry didn't feel compelled to doing a pizza advert. RIP Tel.
yes was there that night .we lost in the final.got on the pitch with the team parading the trophy. huelva now have new ground

My favourite England manager…euro 96 was brilliant!
It was quite boring with too many games decided on penalties and low goals per game average.

El Tel and his England team were the only good thing about it. They were the only team that made it memorable, and the only reason people still talk about it really, as well as the fact it was taking place while bands like Oasis, Ocean Colour Scene, Elastica, Sleeper, Republica, Reef, Terrorvsion etc were still a thing and thus added to the "90s vibe".

England played positive and entertaining football, while Germany were just boring and too technical. Czech Republic getting to the final was great, but they didn't qualify for France 98 soon after, they got easily found out although I knew that group was hard.

El Tel saved Euro 96 from being remembered as a bore fest. If England did badly like today, that would be talked about instead.

The FA wanted him out because of his dodgy dealings otherwise I think he'd have gone to France 98 at least.
Didn't even make the shortlist to succeed Robson for the same reason .They kind of had nowhere else to go after Taylor. A sense of didn't get it early enough but once he got it was binned off too soon.

The irony is a role like that would have kept him away from day to day club activities like getting involved in boardroom shenanigans and transfer dealings. From an England perspective he is a bit like Gazza. Good memories but a feeling of what could have been ..... were it not for off field issues.

Not sure what he'd have done about Team Beckham mind.
I reckon he would have immersed himself in the circus that the England team began to be after 98. Maybe it's better it panned out the way it did as not to tarnish the memory. RIP.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.