The Bluemoon Song Cup 2023 - Champion: @bennyboy // Winning Song: Simon & Garfunkel (The Boxer) P545

Plenty of both versions of Fleetwood Mac songs would have made this a closer call, not this one though.

That Nina Simome song is perfection and a bona fide all time great.

BTW listening to Peter Green play guitar never gets old, quality.
Agree… ‘Need your love so bad’ would have pissed it

I recogniz(s)e my views on Radiohead are aggressively negative and they're just mine, and I wouldn't be so were this band not considered so highly by so many. I cannot hear their melody, nor their invention, in song after song and yet OK Computer, The Bends, and Kid A are all considered by many to be some of the finest pop/rock records ever made in poll after poll, not so much of professional critics but of fans. It's that high regard I object so strenously to, and cannot understand, save for the context of their fans simply not having exposure to a wider range of music. All I hear are pale Gen X Pink Floyd imitators without hooks, and I don't believe Thom Yorke's angst is real for one minute. As noted by me in past posts, I do like some of In Rainbows. But we can move on, obviously.
Was he really singing about himself in this song.

I fail to get the sincerity in much of their music and for me its too much about Thom and I don't know why he wasn't a solo artist of sorts from the outset but I do understand why from his perspective.

I did buy their first 3 releases but haven't played them for many a year and in hindsight I should have stayed with Pablo Honey.

A poor mans Gordon Sumner perhaps although I do rate the Police significantly more highly.

I always have to pay respect to bands with loyal fans far and wide although I don't always follow suit.

A poor mans Gordon Sumner perhaps although I do rate the Police significantly more highly.
Oof. That's mean!

But . . . I'd guess we both rate them more highly because their songs move a lot better, they understand hooks, and Copeland and to a lesser extent Summers were/are unique musical talents. The Police were a song band, not a sound band. The Police are a get-up-and-dance band, not a sit-still-and-listen band. I think I've made it clear over many threads that I tend to prefer song and get-up bands over sound and sit-still bands generally.

Never.

Actually; that's not totally true. When he gives up pretending to be a singer, I'll "let it go, let it go". How's that? I can't say fairer than that.
Even when he gives up there will still be his cult (quick check that I spelt that right in this case) of musically-challenged followers digging up every echo of every utterance that ever ventured forth from whichever orifice produces such terrible noises. You really can't stop them you know, they're like cockroaches, rats or any other sort of infestation.

Even when he gives up there will still be his cult (quick check that I spelt that right in this case) of musically-challenged followers digging up every echo of every utterance that ever ventured forth from whichever orifice produces such terrible noises. You really can't stop them you know, they're like cockroaches, rats or any other sort of infestation.
I like the cut of your jib. I knew it couldn't be true, what some of our Aus posters (past and present) say about you kiwis!

Oof. That's mean!

But . . . I'd guess we both rate them more highly because their songs move a lot better, they understand hooks, and Copeland and to a lesser extent Summers were/are unique musical talents. The Police were a song band, not a sound band. The Police are a get-up-and-dance band, not a sit-still-and-listen band. I think I've made it clear over many threads that I tend to prefer song and get-up bands over sound and sit-still bands generally.
I am in the same camp for sure as are many of my friends.

Mean you say try Thom Yorke is to alternative rock as Bob Seger is to rock.

I guess we have a similar mind set and ear that goes beyond artist and genre and I haven't found a band / artist you like or dislike or overrate or underrate that I do not albeit your knowledge and nuance is far deeper and your ability to articulate that is far superior to mine.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.