The Boxing thread

Bunce said as much on his podcast. All the old cliches of Joshua being a static plodder are a bit outdated after his last two fights. He’s done so much work and is a much better all round boxer than the guy that won the titles a few years back. He’s smarter too. Right now I think Fury will win because I think he is very special and has the chance to go down as the greatest British hw of all time. But Joshua will clip Fury more and more often and even though he might not have the one punch power of Wilder if he hits him with those uppercuts they’re gonna wear Fury down. It’s easy to forget that Fury was 1 second away from boxing abyss after that first fight. He’s not invincible.
Against the shorter guy who needs to be in close to have any chance those uppercuts are lethal. I don't see AJ being able to have the same success in that area against a bigger guy who's as agile if not more so than he.

Ultimately Fury is the acid test for AJ and the only fight anyone should want to see.

But, if AJ was forced to take Usyk as mandatory next, how do you see that one going? How would that version of AJ last night fare against Usyk?

Well even at his age AJ has a better resume than Fury. Whether you like it or not he is in the same bracket as Fury even though I’ve already said I think Fury wins. I’m sure the £100m will cheer AJ up though, not bad for a dealer who will get knocked out by every opponent he faces according to the armchair experts.
Fury’s resume has next to losses - 0

Against the shorter guy who needs to be in close to have any chance those uppercuts are lethal. I don't see AJ being able to have the same success in that area against a bigger guy who's as agile if not more so than he.

Ultimately Fury is the acid test for AJ and the only fight anyone should want to see.

But, if AJ was forced to take Usyk as mandatory next, how do you see that one going? How would that version of AJ last night fare against Usyk?
I’m a Usyk fan boy but I think Fury and Joshua have too much power for him. He’ll beat everyone else though.

Funny one last night really I can't make my mind up if it was a faultless performance or an underwhelming beating of a clearly inferior opponent that was rescued by the way it ended. Against that opponent, overall AJ did look good. Looked sharp, boxed nicely at times The jab was sharp. When he put his foot down Pulev couldn't compete with him and Pulev has been in and around the top 10 for a long time so he's not a bum, and AJ did look on another level to him. I just think the stopage could have been forced 3 or 4 rounds earlier than when it came. I don't necessarily think banking the extra rounds would have done AJ any good purely because next time he will be in a completely different fight against a completely different proposition in Fury (assuming the fight gets made). So a few extra rounds of controlling a smaller, slower guy with his jab won't benefit him in the slightest when coming up against Fury. Does securing that stoppage in round 9 make the same statement as it could have done had he got him out of there in 3 or 4 I'm not sure. I heard Peter Fury last night remark on how hesitant AJ seemed to be in really going in for the kill, and Dillian Whyte said he looked caught a little between 2 styles. Both assessments I agree with, and neither of those eventualities will work out well for him in a Fury fight.
He can’t win though, can he? The only loss on his record was simply because he went in like a crazy man to finish someone off and he got clipped and concussed with one punch. He’d be an absolute moron not to have learned from that. One man’s hesitation is another’s calculation. I think Bunce and Costillo, both very much in the Fury is the best camp, got their podcast spot on.

For those of us who don’t follow the sport that closely, what’s the next step in this extended dance between Joshua Fury & Wilder?

He can’t win though, can he? The only loss on his record was simply because he went in like a crazy man to finish someone off and he got clipped and concussed with one punch. He’d be an absolute moron not to have learned from that. One man’s hesitation is another’s calculation. I think Bunce and Costillo, both very much in the Fury is the best camp, got their podcast spot on.
Unfortunately no he can't win but ultimately he took out his mandatory with a more or less flawless performance and sustained no damage himself so he's every right to see that as a 10/10 sort of night. I haven't listened to the podcast yet but will do at some point.
I'm a bit on the fence about AJ really neither a fan nor a major critic. Last night was fine, I just think he could have stepped on the gas a lot earlier than he did to get it done. That's my only real question mark about it. But bigger picture, there's not really any fight out there for him that can be used as a barometer for what might happen against Fury. So him learning this new style of being a little more circumspect and not unleashing the killer instinct until much later in the fight is all well and good against the guys who just aren't as gifted physically as him but I just feel he will have to undo a lot of this learning when he eventually does get in there for the one we all want to see.

For those of us who don’t follow the sport that closely, what’s the next step in this extended dance between Joshua Fury & Wilder?
It has to be AJ and Fury next. It is the biggest fight and the only fight for either of them. It will define their legacies. The 2 best heavyweights in the world, both British and every belt up for grabs. It would be the biggest fight in British boxing history. The pressure from the public and media to get this fight on will be unrelenting.
They will make more money by fighting each other in a couple of super fights, than they will get from fighting anyone else. There is no reason for this fight not to happen.

Fury’s resume has next to losses - 0
That's a bit of a fallacious argument though. Pacquiao has 7 losses and many consider his resume to be one of the strongest of all time.

In fact the idea that 0 is a huge deal is a modern development stemming from Mayweather.

I could spin it and say he only has 0 because he's not fought enough top fighters.

Fury and Joshua both have strong enough resumes though as far as I'm concerned.

It has to be AJ and Fury next. It is the biggest fight and the only fight for either of them. It will define their legacies. The 2 best heavyweights in the world, both British and every belt up for grabs. It would be the biggest fight in British boxing history. The pressure from the public and media to get this fight on will be unrelenting.
They will make more money by fighting each other in a couple of super fights, than they will get from fighting anyone else. There is no reason for this fight not to happen.

It will be a terrible fight though, Fury putting on weight to lean on Joshua for 9 or 10 rounds to tire him out. The last Wilder Fury fight had very little boxing, Fury just uses his size and turns in into a wrestling match against better boxers who are anywhere near his size.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.