The Championship thread...15/16

Hadn't appreciated quite how dire things are for Bolton until I looked at the league table this morning. One win and ten goals in 16 league games this season (though they're only three points off safety).

No solace off the field, either, if this report in the Telegraph is to be believed: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-chairman-Phil-Gartside-is-seriously-ill.html. Debt of GBP 172 million owed to a backer who can no longer bankroll the club and is desperate to sell up. The chairman is seriously ill and away from the club (I've always thought Gartside came across as a twat, but I don't wish major health problems on him).

Apparently there are interested parties, but you'd think any deal is reliant on Davies writing off almost all of what he's owed. And with a large number of better resourced clubs in the Championship while Bolton lose their parachure payments next year, it's hard to see them returning to the PL any time soon - even if they do avoid the drop this season.

I have a couple of mates who are Bolton fans and they are almost suicidal with it all. They are well fucked and may well be for a while. Rumours that Amir Khan and Dean Holdsworth are set for a £15 million takeover if the owner Eddie Davies writes off the already accrued debt: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/amir-khan-dean-holdsworth-set-6852906 I personally think they are living in cloud cuckoo land if they think that is going to happen.

They have signed utter shite for a couple of seasons before being relegated from the Premier League but it has been exacerbated by the fact that they have very little width in the side (apart from the lad on loan form Arsenal who has just got injured and Liam Feeney who is just appalling!!) and rely on a midfield containing mainly central midfielders.

Anyway, balls to 'em!!

Makes me laugh when I hear about the North East being "a hot bed of football". No it isn't. Watching the 'boro vs QPR game and there's swathes of empty seats on show. Even allowing for the fact that the game is on the telly, it's poor. Same whenever I see the Stadium of Light. Plenty of empty seats on show. Okay, Sunderland are near the bottom of the PL, which wouldn't help in attracting the casual fan. But Middlesbrough are pushing for promotion this season. The locals seem very apathetic about their team.

Makes me laugh when I hear about the North East being "a hot bed of football". No it isn't. Watching the 'boro vs QPR game and there's swathes of empty seats on show. Even allowing for the fact that the game is on the telly, it's poor. Same whenever I see the Stadium of Light. Plenty of empty seats on show. Okay, Sunderland are near the bottom of the PL, which wouldn't help in attracting the casual fan. But Middlesbrough are pushing for promotion this season. The locals seem very apathetic about their team.

Been no atmosphere either, James.

Middlesboro are the north east equivalent of Bolton
A core support of around 15,000 and the same number of glory hunters

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.