The more I see David Silva play the more I worry.

Silva hit the ground running and has been consistent for the last 5/6 years. I agree that De Bruyne isn't like-for-like, but he is a versatile, world class player and I don't see many of them around(maybe I'm not looking hard enough)

Regarding the back 5/6, it needs sorting and has done for a while. As it turns out, I've just been on the phone to a Benfica fan(he lives in Lisbon) and he says that we are being linked to their 'keeper Ederson

On a wider point about Silva, I really don't want him to end his career with us in the way Clichy and Zab are doing. Less the odd good game, it is clear they have had it and it would be a shame to see Silva go down a similar path

It's a bit of a myth about Silva and his consistency. When he's brilliant, yes he's undeniably brilliant. But I've found him to be a player who has equally had long patches where he has flattered to deceive and particularly under Pellegrini he seemed to go missing in many many big games and for stretches of the season. I think he'd argue that injuries have hampered him and that's probably a fair mitigating point, but the fact remains for me that as wonderful as he is on his day, he has had many days which weren't his where he looked devoid of the basic hunger to compete.

That said he has this season, in particular when playing in a deeper CM role, been excellent and pretty consistent. You've gotta show that to get into a Pep side and he's doing it to the extent that I think his career at City could be prolonged beyond this season.

In terms of how/where he ends his career, I see what you're saying about Zab/Clichy. We have seemingly allowed these guys to fall off a cliff which isn't nice. But it's football sometimes!

Very early doors in terms of a readiness to don the mantle, but the last couple of times I've watched Phil Foden he's been sensational. A mini-Dave in the making, albeit maybe in 3 or 4 years time. In the meantime, based on his current energy levels and that light frame, I certainly think we'll get one more quality season out of Silva, maybe even two. He's been the Player of the Season for me so far

I like the look of Foden and regular watchers of youth football say he's the real deal. Be interesting to see how that generation develop.

Can't agree that Silva's been our most consistent player this season - not whilst Sterling is in that side.

He's getting better with age and our young front three are exactly the kind of players he thrives off playing with and vice versa. There is absolutely no need to replace him any time soon unless he feels like he fancies a move home.

It's a bit of a myth about Silva and his consistency. When he's brilliant, yes he's undeniably brilliant. But I've found him to be a player who has equally had long patches where he has flattered to deceive and particularly under Pellegrini he seemed to go missing in many many big games and for stretches of the season. I think he'd argue that injuries have hampered him and that's probably a fair mitigating point, but the fact remains for me that as wonderful as he is on his day, he has had many days which weren't his where he looked devoid of the basic hunger to compete.

That said he has this season, in particular when playing in a deeper CM role, been excellent and pretty consistent. You've gotta show that to get into a Pep side and he's doing it to the extent that I think his career at City could be prolonged beyond this season.

In terms of how/where he ends his career, I see what you're saying about Zab/Clichy. We have seemingly allowed these guys to fall off a cliff which isn't nice. But it's football sometimes!

I don't think that is a criticism that can be labelled only at Silva, I think the manager and other players lost interest for 18 month. Over Silva's city career, I think it is safe to say he has been 7-9 out of 10 player for the vast majority of the games he has played in

I don't think that is a criticism that can be labelled only at Silva, I think the manager and other players lost interest for 18 month. Over Silva's city career, I think it is safe to say he has been 7-9 out of 10 player for the vast majority of the games he has played in

We'll have to agree to disagree mate. It's interesting what you say about manager/players losing interest for 18 months. I expect my most talented senior players to show the way when the chips are down. I don't think Silva, Aguero, and Toure did enough of that during that 18 month period.

I think what we can certainly do and will do is find a player with different attributes but one who's equally devastating playing as a number 8 alongside KDB. After all KDB and Silva aren't like for like, they are playing in roughly the same position, and both bring different things to the party.

I've changed my mind watching Silva the last few weeks. I think he will have a future beyond this season under Pep which previously I thought was unlikely, but I think that we shouldn't be too afraid of having to replace him. We have a filthy amount of attacking players at our disposal at present and we have some serious talent in the academy.

Where we should worry and need to be smart is our back 5/6.

Silva and Yaya can play beyond this season but it's about making sure the team is strong. My criticism of De Bruyne is he generally plays at one pace which is frantic. He's keen to always push forward, always look for a killer pass and always look to attach the opposition. That's not a bad thing, but our style under Pep is about doing that at the right time and making sure we control games. Silva and Yaya are the key to that, they can control the pace of the game and when our main weakness is being carved upon from a counter attack, it's essential we control the game so we're not exposed too often.

Pep's smart enough to work out how to get the best out of Silva. He felt against Palace that Delph was needed to cover ground and make sure we weren't exposed, as we were a few times against Spurs, and have been recently in general. What he didn't expect was Jesus' impact to be so great. Jesus, Sterling and Sane pressed so intensely that though Delph played well the cover wasn't as necessary. Against West Ham he therefore felt the key was for the same press on the defence to cut off long balls to Carroll. He allowed Yaya and Silva to control the pace of the game and De Bruyne could then work his magic in central areas.

It worked well. It will need to be tailored for specific opponents but he's getting the best out of Yaya and Silva. I think he'll use Gundogan in Yaya's role, he's got the ability to dictate the play from deep. We don't really have that player to control the pace the way Silva does but we could combine Gundogan and Fernandinho in there instead. We'll evolve. I don't panic about losing Yaya or Silva because we will find players or a style to replace them.

We'll have to agree to disagree mate. It's interesting what you say about manager/players losing interest for 18 months. I expect my most talented senior players to show the way when the chips are down. I don't think Silva, Aguero, and Toure did enough of that during that 18 month period.

Maybe this is for anther thread but - there is a reason teams have managers. The manager puts the structure in-place on the pitch to get the best out of players, one way or the other. I think it is widely accepted that Pelligrini didn't do that, certainly didn't do it enough

And over that 18month period Silva was playing behind(at times) sterling on his wrong side, Jesus Navas and Wilfred Bony. That standard is a huge dip from what was before(Tevez, Nasri, etc) and what is now, so I think there are several reasons for his and the teams dip

I think when the dust has settled on Silva's career, he will be remembered as one of the best to play for us. Certainly of my generation(34yrs old). That is my opinion, but as you say, we may have to agree to disagree

Maybe this is for anther thread but - there is a reason teams have managers. The manager puts the structure in-place on the pitch to get the best out of players, one way or the other. I think it is widely accepted that Pelligrini didn't do that, certainly didn't do it enough

And over that 18month period Silva was playing behind(at times) sterling on his wrong side, Jesus Navas and Wilfred Bony. That standard is a huge dip from what was before(Tevez, Nasri, etc) and what is now, so I think there are several reasons for his and the teams dip

I think when the dust has settled on Silva's career, he will be remembered as one of the best to play for us. Certainly of my generation(34yrs old). That is my opinion, but as you say, we may have to agree to disagree

Again I feel as though you are inclined to make excuses for Silva. I understand why, loads of Blues I know do. It's natural when you really love a player. But he's an unbelievable player on his day, and if the standards around him slipped in terms of the quality of players he had to play with, that IMO should've hardened his resolve to run games and be our central creative force, rather than become another passenger. Ancient history now though mate, and i'm fucking delighted that we're seeing a kind of indian summer for him under Pep.

I'd say that he'll absolutely be remembered as one of the best ever. For me after Toure he's the best player we've had since the takeover (although KDB has the potential to eclipse them both).

Again I feel as though you are inclined to make excuses for Silva. I understand why, loads of Blues I know do. It's natural when you really love a player. But he's an unbelievable player on his day, and if the standards around him slipped in terms of the quality of players he had to play with, that IMO should've hardened his resolve to run games and be our central creative force, rather than become another passenger. Ancient history now though mate, and i'm fucking delighted that we're seeing a kind of indian summer for him under Pep.

I'd say that he'll absolutely be remembered as one of the best ever. For me after Toure he's the best player we've had since the takeover (although KDB has the potential to eclipse them both).

I agree in general with your post but I disagree with the terminology of 'on his day' - I think 'on his day' should be used for the likes of Kinkladze, Elano, etc. not a player of Silva's consistency over his career

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.