The official EDS and academy thread 2012/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
LoveCity said:
Two 14 year olds played today, City actually said the other (Joshua Murray) scored the goals until they corrected it. That's a very young age to play for the 18s, either it means they're great talents or we're short on numbers.

Certainly look light on numbers as our only unused sub was the GK!

mcfcdaytona said:
Nelly's Left Foot said:
happychappy said:
I paid at the turnstile, but must admit I did wonder whether I needed a ticket because of the way it was put on the os

Exactly right you can always pay at the gate but it's not been that clear due to the way it was advertised. More thought needs to go into promoting the matches as i think we should be getting at least 3000 for these games.

Lack of good parking and public transport to Hyde is not a help. But there is also a melaise at City regarding Res/Youth - THFC get nearly 10k when paying for entry - we get about 2k for a free Fri night game during the hols at the Etihad - says it all really.

its going to hyde thats the problem plus these games should be advertised better

LoveCity said:
Two 14 year olds played today, City actually said the other (Joshua Murray) scored the goals until they corrected it. That's a very young age to play for the 18s, either it means they're great talents or we're short on numbers. Anyone know what's happening with Jules Ntcham? Still no sign of him.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/jules-ntcham/profil/spieler_224088.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/jules ... 24088.html</a>

Would imagine it was the latter, noticed there was no Cole or Glendon in the 18's team today so they will probably play for the EDS to replace Suarez and Hiwula who are unavailable due to first team and international. Also no Pozo as well due to international.

A good result in the end with a young team, seems like we will finish behind Fulham and Chelsea though and go into the 2nd group for the 2nd part of the year.

So according to LC on twitter, Jordi Hiwula has been called up by England U19 for the upcoming games against Estonia, Faroe Islands and Ukraine., Great news! thank for the update as usual LC

Fulham completed the academy double over us this afternoon with a 1-0 win.

Report from their website as cannot find one yet on ours!

U21s 1-0 Manchester City

Monday 24 September 2012 16:13

Pajtim Kasami’s second-half goal secured a first win of the season for Fulham Under-21s at a blustery Motspur Park on Monday afternoon.

The game also saw Philippe Senderos and Giorgos Karagounis get some valuable match time under their belts as they played 45 and 63 minutes respectively before being replaced.

The first chance of the game fell to City captain Alex Nimely on four minutes when he skipped inside two challenges before firing goalwards but David Stockdale comfortably smothered his deflected strike.

Good link-up play between Sean Kavanagh and Marcello Trotta on 17 minutes almost saw the Irishman put through on goal but the City defence recovered with a good challenge on the edge of the area.

The opening half hour was a tight affair with both sides trying to weigh the other up, with Fulham’s first effort coming after 23 minutes but Kasami’s scuffed shot was never at risk of troubling the goalkeeper.

Kasami went closer moments later though when Karagounis found him down the right. The Swiss youth international got a powerful strike in but the keeper blocked well at his near post.

The Whites were growing in confidence and Trotta was next to try his luck on 32 minutes but his shot from distance was easily claimed.

A lovely backheel a minute later by Nimely found the lively Marco Lopez in space but his cross along the face of goal was cleared away by Zdenek Grygera.

Lopez was proving a tricky customer and he showed good skill before laying the ball off to Alex Henshall who fired straight at Stockdale.

A well worked free-kick saw Karagounis find Alex Smith in space but nobody could get on the end of the Fulham Captain’s dangerous cross.

Five minutes into the second period saw the best chance of the game as Nimely headed against the bar from a corner, with Stockdale beaten.

The Whites took the lead just before the hour mark when Grygera volleyed across goal after being picked out by Karagounis' cute free-kick, leaving Kasami with the simple task of knocking into an empty net.

Smith was in moments later after latching onto substitute Dan Burn's through-ball but his attempted lob sailed harmlessly over.

Karagounis was replaced on 63 minutes by Tom Donegan and the 120-cap Greece international showed plenty of deft touches and slick passes in his first Fulham outing.

Charles Banya caught visiting right-back Shay Facey in possession minutes later and fed Trotta but the Italian shot too close to the keeper who parried for a corner.

From the resulting set-piece, Banya found himself some space on the corner of the area and was desperately unlucky to see his curling shot narrowly fly over the crossbar.

With a quarter of an hour to go the away side pushed for an equaliser but were restricted to speculative long-range efforts from Lopez and Emyr Huws.

Kavanagh had a golden opportunity to secure the points when he glided into the area after collecting Trotta's one-two. The left-back dummied his shot to fool the defender but then curled against the near post.

Lopez went on a mazy run with three minutes remaining but could only fire wide after beating several white shirts in what proved to be the last chance of the match as Kit Symons’ boys held on for a valuable win.

Fulham: 13. Stockdale; 2. Grimmer, 6. Grygera, 4. Senderos (15. Burn, 45 mins), 3. Kavanagh; 8. Kasami, 10. Pritchard (17. Vigen Christensen, 84 mins), 14. Karagounis (16. Donegan, 63 mins), 7. Smith (C), 11. Banya; 39. Trotta. Subs (not used): 12. Bettinelli, 18. Islamovic.

Manchester City: 1. Johansen; 2. Facey, 5. Kennedy, 6. Plummer, 3. Helan; 11. Henshall, 8. Huws, 4. Evans, 7. Lopez; 10. Pozo (16. Cole, 69 mins); 9. Nimely. Subs (not used): 12. Leigh, 13. Lawlor, 14. Walter, 15. Glendon

For want of anything better to do, and in the hope they'd fucking lose, I watched the rags play Newcastle last night. By the end they'd had 6 teenagers on the field at various stages and had beaten a fairly presentable Newcastle side 2-1. Over at the Hawthorns at the same time, Liverpool had 4 teenagers playing, including 2 x 16 year olds, and beat a full strength West Brom. And as for Arsenal, well there's always 3 or 4 kids you've never heard of playing in cup competitions.
What struck me about the rags game was how seemlessly they fitted in. All mobile, quick and reasonably technically accomplished, and I just wonder whether we don't need a complete overhaul at youth level.
I've seen the EDS side once this season, away at Chelsea (played at Griffin Park), and to be quite frank, we were cack, a lumpen, paceless, mirror image of the first team at the moment, barely mustering a shot at goal in 90 minutes as we ground out an ill deserved 0-0 draw. A month later my eldest lad went along to Griffin Park with his mates and watched Liverpool tear Chelsea's EDS a new one, thrashing them 4-1. He described them (Liverpool) as everything City's EDS weren't. Supremely athletic, pace galore and full of attacking invention.
I often thought that City have been great at producing good youth sides in the past, but perhaps not so hot on developing stand out individuals. Sturridge was the last one I can recall who really looked the part, and before that, Ireland.
I've seen Razak a number of times now and Suarez 3 or 4 times if you count pre-season friendlies. They are clearly our two biggest hopes, and whilst I think Razak has what it takes physically to eventually make it to at least Championship level, I've been less convinced by Suarez, who just doesn't look sharp or quick enough for me. They though seem to be the only two, although Rekik is widely tipped to be the next graduate.
What I'm wondering is if the rags, Liverpool, Arsenal etc are just currently each blessed with an outstanding crop of youngsters, or whether they are doing something fundamentally different to City, such as actively focussing on players with particular attributes, pace and power for example, that will enable them to perform in their team's first XI's as though they were born to it, rather than seeming out of their depth as Suarez did on Tuesday? Either way, no-one seems ready to me to make that big step up and it's a concern, not least because some youthful pace and vitality in midfield would be a real Godsend to both the team and the fans at the moment

CITY EDS XI: Johansen; Facey, Helan, Evans, K Toure; Plummer, Lopes, Huws, Scapuzzi; Nimley, Suarez. Kick-off at 7pm.

Scapuzzi :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.