The Title Race - 2023/24

How many points will be needed to win the league?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm trying to decide what would be the most typical City thing we can do on this run in, So far I think it would be to beat Fulham, beat spurs then draw with west ham and loose on goal difference.

We never do it easy, Come on City, we can win this!
I'd say the new style of typical city would be to win the league on goal difference.

Would absolutely love us to win big on Saturday. By five or six goals. Wipe out (there or thereabouts) Arsenals’s goal difference in one fell swoop. Reckon there’s a decent chance their arses will start going after that.

I feel that would apply discernibly more pressure than a comprehensive 2-0 victory.

I agree. Saturday is significant in that we can apply pressure for the first time in a long time. Arsenal are still inexperienced when it comes to pressure and to not only win but win by a margin, would most certainly put extra pressure on them at the swamp. The sort of pressure that perhaps leads to them chasing goals and not concentrating on ensuring they just win the game. The gap is 6, get it down to 1 or 2 and they might lose a little bit of confidence, knowing we could potentially draw one and still win the league.

3pts is the focus, but I am convinced the players see things much like the fans at this stage of the season and will be confident they can win the final three but wanting another option just in case.

I agree. Saturday is significant in that we can apply pressure for the first time in a long time. Arsenal are still inexperienced when it comes to pressure and to not only win but win by a margin, would most certainly put extra pressure on them at the swamp. The sort of pressure that perhaps leads to them chasing goals and not concentrating on ensuring they just win the game. The gap is 6, get it down to 1 or 2 and they might lose a little bit of confidence, knowing we could potentially draw one and still win the league.

3pts is the focus, but I am convinced the players see things much like the fans at this stage of the season and will be confident they can win the final three but wanting another option just in case.
Yeah, I’m not saying we should go all out to win by a huge margin but if we are, say three goals up after an hour (which is perfectly feasible) then we should look to increase what we have rather than preserve it. Think a repeat of Crystanbul is highly unlikely with this team.

Yeah, I’m not saying we should go all out to win by a huge margin but if we are, say three goals up after an hour (which is perfectly feasible) then we should look to increase what we have rather than preserve it. Think a repeat of Crystanbul is highly unlikely with this team.

I don't think you need to clarify that, but I'm sure you have done because someone would jump in and say "the priority is 3pts" as if that's not clearly obvious.

Pep is naturally quite a pessimistic manager in that he doesn't generally make changes unless we're 3 or 4 up in a game. So there's no way he'll be going gung-ho or wanting the team to. The focus will be on winning but we will probably see more intensity at the end of the game, as was evident against Wolves. Although I think if it's wrapped up early then key players will come off with Spurs midweek.

Oh dear, Liverpool were 3-0 up against Palace and decided to attack City's then 6 goal advantage. Ended 3-3 giving City an extra edge. Just need to play the game as normal.

Last edited:
Oh dear, Liverpool were 3-0 up against Palace and decided to attack City's then 6 goal advantage. Ended 3-3 giving City an extra edge. Just need to play the game as normal.
Yes, I’ve expressly referenced that game in my post (and rejected a repeat because of the mental fortitude of these players) so no need to explain what happened.

Since about November we’ve heard the usual nonsense about “must win games”

We’ve had several league games over the last decade that genuinely were must win games, the first of which was of course absolutely fucking mental.

Arsenal haven’t had one for twenty years. It’s a whole different kind of pressure going on the pitch knowing you have to win a game or its curtains. Nobody knows how they’ll react if they have to beat a savvy battle hardened Everton team to win the league. It certainly won’t be a walk in the park.

Arse are playing the raggies, arguably one of the worst teams in the PL whose players are basically on strike !!

Arse are playing the raggies, arguably one of the worst teams in the PL whose players are basically on strike !!

They might be, but they've been shite for a while and Arsenal don't have a great record at the swamp still. They've only lost to us at home, beaten Chelsea and Villa and drawn with the dippers and spuds. You never know. But I'm not expecting Arsenal to drop points, more hopeful they don't win by many...which is still a stretch I appreciate.

Ultimately this is all a guessing game, it would be nice to win by 4 or 5 and bring it down to 1 or 2 before they kick off. Just something else to consider for them. In an ideal world we then batter Spurs and it gives us the ability to draw at home to West Ham and still win it potentially.

Or in much more likely City fashion we draw with Spurs and have to beat West Ham by 2 more goals than Arsenal manage at home to Everton and we go and do it!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.