The Tottenham Thread (Merged)

Re: Spuds takeover?

Twitcher will be gutted, imagine all those transfers he could have been getting commission on.

carlos92 said:
Do we get anything off Tottenham as they sold Corluka to Lokomotiv Moscow?

No idea, haven't heard any estimation of the fee either, probably around 5m.

With him and Niko gone it seems pretty obvious that Modric is also off. And if his move is to a club abroad then we've done well.

Bale's contract shows that we definitely have a manger lined up, Vertonghen issues have apparently been sorted out and siggurdson seeming likely, and we have funds from Niko and Charlie with hopefully a shitload for Modric as well. Hopefully Bassong and Gio will have moves completed soon as well, and then we'll have a good amount of money to be helping the manager plug the gaps. Whatever happens it's going to be a very interesting few weeks for Spurs which will have a massive impact on our success this season...I can't wait.

spurspinter1 said:
carlos92 said:

With him and Niko gone it seems pretty obvious that Modric is also off. And if his move is to a club abroad then we've done well.

Bale's contract shows that we definitely have a manger lined up, Vertonghen issues have apparently been sorted out and siggurdson seeming likely, and we have funds from Niko and Charlie with hopefully a shitload for Modric as well. Hopefully Bassong and Gio will have moves completed soon as well, and then we'll have a good amount of money to be helping the manager plug the gaps. Whatever happens it's going to be a very interesting few weeks for Spurs which will have a massive impact on our success this season...I can't wait.

Thanks for trying to answer the question, I hoped City had a sell on fee inserted in his contract but it could be that I am playing Football Manager a bit too much. In terms of your other moves, AVB is a very good choice for you even if he has meant to of failed at Chelsea. Don't expect Adebayor to return as I think your new boss has an alternative lined up (which won't help City though).

spurspinter1 said:
carlos92 said:

your only problem being you need to use that money on a couple of players instead of just a direct replacement for Modric, and no offence but Sigurdsson's a step down for you guys, think you'll be less of a threat unless Levy has set aside £20-30m extra for you to spend freely.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
spurspinter1 said:
carlos92 said:

your only problem being you need to use that money on a couple of players instead of just a direct replacement for Modric, and no offence but Sigurdsson's a step down for you guys, think you'll be less of a threat unless Levy has set aside £20-30m extra for you to spend freely.

Several good points here. Finding a direct replacement for Modric is tough in that he is quite good at what he does, but also that there are a small minority of players that really fill that same roll. Additionally, the top quality players that do occupy a similar role as Modric already play for top clubs and it would be unlikely that Spurs could get any of them even if they tried.

Sigurdsson might be a step down if he were asked to come in a start from day 1, but i'm not sure that will be the case. He's more of a VDV replacement then a Modric replacement. Assuming VDV sticks around for at least another year (which I think is likely....the stories linking him back to Hamburg have little substance IMO), Sigurdsson would have the opportunity to be used in more of a squad role and wouldn't have too much pressure placed on him from the start. Given that he's 22, hopefully this will help him develop a bit more and continue to improve on the base he built on loan at Swansea second half of last season.

As far as any additional signings, we can only hope. You really never know with Spurs...out marquee signing might be Ryan Nelsen, or we might just sign Rafa van der Vaart as the window closes.....

LedleyKing said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:
spurspinter1 said:

Several good points here. Finding a direct replacement for Modric is tough in that he is quite good at what he does, but also that there are a small minority of players that really fill that same roll. Additionally, the top quality players that do occupy a similar role as Modric already play for top clubs and it would be unlikely that Spurs could get any of them even if they tried.

Sigurdsson might be a step down if he were asked to come in a start from day 1, but i'm not sure that will be the case. He's more of a VDV replacement then a Modric replacement. Assuming VDV sticks around for at least another year (which I think is likely....the stories linking him back to Hamburg have little substance IMO), Sigurdsson would have the opportunity to be used in more of a squad role and wouldn't have too much pressure placed on him from the start. Given that he's 22, hopefully this will help him develop a bit more and continue to improve on the base he built on loan at Swansea second half of last season.

As far as any additional signings, we can only hope. You really never know with Spurs...out marquee signing might be Ryan Nelsen, or we might just sign Rafa van der Vaart as the window closes.....

I like Sigurdsson, but I think he's an ok signing for Spurs as opposed to a great one for Swansea, and thinking about who he'll end up replacing I think he's a step down on those players.

Your last point sums up exactly why you won't be a title challenging side unless you get plenty of luck and do the equivalent of a Newcastle for a top 4 side, and that's unlikely.

That plenty of luck theory is crap; Newcastle suprised people but If you actually look at there squad with players like Ben Arfa,Tiote and Cisse who scored tons of goals in Germany along with Ba who showed his promise with West Ham last year; It's actually a decent squad.

Over 38 games; Luck is not a factor.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.