The "which famous person died today" thread

Was at a Funeral today at one of my best mate’s Father in Law, he was John Lucas who’s family ran the Oddfellows Pub in Ashton under Lyne from 1914 - 2008, a record for the area, John himself was Landlord from 1984 until retiring in 2008, RIP John.

Anyway that’s not the reason I’ve posted, we were at the wake in Stalybridge Celtic Social Club and I was sat with my blue mate, Mick, his wife, Mrs H and our feisty City hating, Dipper loving Oldham FC devotee mate, Baldy Trevor. One of John’s Grandkids said:

“I’m getting shots in to raise a toast to Granddad”

Mick said, quick as a flash:

“You’d better have one Trevor, it’s the only shot you’ve seen since Christmas”

Well fuck me, have you ever seen a laughing hyena? Poor Trevor wasn’t impressed but that was payback.

Fun fact... I met both Frank Field and Frank Ifield, through work and in Sainsburys respectively. Frank Ifield lived about half a mile from my house in Hertfordshire in the 80s.

I would say he taught me to yodel, but that would be silly. I could already yodel by the time I met him.
Reminds me of the old joke about Frank Ifield and Johnny Rotten got together to make a record

I remember you, you c*nt

Fun fact... I met both Frank Field and Frank Ifield, through work and in Sainsburys respectively. Frank Ifield lived about half a mile from my house in Hertfordshire in the 80s.
Did you remember him ?

Wasn't he Australian? I only found out by seeing a picture of him in a music museum in Adelaide.
Along with Leo McKern and Alan Freeman (Fluff) I never knew they were Aussies.

Was at a Funeral today at one of my best mate’s Father in Law, he was John Lucas who’s family ran the Oddfellows Pub in Ashton under Lyne from 1914 - 2008, a record for the area, John himself was Landlord from 1984 until retiring in 2008, RIP John.

Anyway that’s not the reason I’ve posted, we were at the wake in Stalybridge Celtic Social Club and I was sat with my blue mate, Mick, his wife, Mrs H and our feisty City hating, Dipper loving Oldham FC devotee mate, Baldy Trevor. One of John’s Grandkids said:

“I’m getting shots in to raise a toast to Granddad”

Mick said, quick as a flash:

“You’d better have one Trevor, it’s the only shot you’ve seen since Christmas”

Well fuck me, have you ever seen a laughing hyena? Poor Trevor wasn’t impressed but that was payback.
John will have pulled me a pint or two in the past.

I lived around the corner from my local the Mosside on Dean St facing the Holy Trinity church but, did pop in the Oddies on occasion.

Maybe not that famous but I know many people enjoy his books and ironically the TV adaptation of his Shardlake series starts this week.

Thanks for sharing this very sad information. He was a great author, one of my favourites, and outstanding in his main genre.

I've read a number of his books, and they are extremely enjoyable. Dissolution was a great opening to the Shardlake series, and I've read a few more in the series since. I've not read Winter in Madrid yet, but I intend to. Dominion was a diversion from his usual Tudor historical fiction, but nevertheless one of my favourite books of recent years. I reviewed it on here.

C J Sansom died from myeloma, a rare type of blood cancer, which he lived with for twelve years. My mother-in-law was diagnosed with myeloma last week. It's causing some serious pain.

I am looking forward to watching the forthcoming TV series, which I was unaware of until reading this news.

Did you remember him ?

Wasn't he Australian? I only found out by seeing a picture of him in a music museum in Adelaide.
Along with Leo McKern and Alan Freeman (Fluff) I never knew they were Aussies.

Frank Ifield was born in Coventry according to Wikipedia! Probably moved out there as a nipper, and became a singing sensation in the late 50s. Moved to the UK in the 60s to promote his career.
He's still alive, now living back in Australia apparently!

Frank Ifield was born in Coventry according to Wikipedia! Probably moved out there as a nipper, and became a singing sensation in the late 50s. Moved to the UK in the 60s to promote his career.
He's still alive, now living back in Australia apparently!
I think he's the bastard next door mate :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.