The "which famous person died today" thread

Frank Ifield was born in Coventry according to Wikipedia! Probably moved out there as a nipper, and became a singing sensation in the late 50s. Moved to the UK in the 60s to promote his career.
He's still alive, now living back in Australia apparently!
I can give you a bit of an update as I know his steel guitarist and have done so for over 40 years who lives in Hastings Victoria with his wife Carol that has travelled the "globe" well some of it with him when Frank moved to the Gold Coast in QLD where he still resides.

He did a lot of gigs on cruises etc and on mainland Australia mainly in QLD and NSW resorts in the main since his career on record etc had come to an end and his voice is such he cannot sing anymore and hasn't been able to for a number of years due to health reasons and losing his octave range where he felt it better for his fans to remember him as he was as opposed to a boxer who had fought one too many fights as such as he put it.

He was the first " Aussie" with a number one in the UK charts which stayed in top spot for 7 weeks with I Remember You.

More to the point Frank is a great bloke who loves a beer and treats you like he would his own children as I have been fortunate to spend time with him through Alf Barry ( his steel guitarist in his band ) and he is still fighting the good fight at 86.

I can give you a bit of an update as I know his steel guitarist and have done so for over 40 years who lives in Hastings Victoria with his wife Carol that has travelled the "globe" well some of it with him when Frank moved to the Gold Coast in QLD where he still resides.

He did a lot of gigs on cruises etc and on mainland Australia mainly in QLD and NSW resorts in the main since his career on record etc had come to an end and his voice is such he cannot sing anymore and hasn't been able to for a number of years due to health reasons and losing his octave range where he felt it better for his fans to remember him as he was as opposed to a boxer who had fought one too many fights as such as he put it.

He was the first " Aussie" with a number one in the UK charts which stayed in top spot for 7 weeks with I Remember You.

More to the point Frank is a great bloke who loves a beer and treats you like he would his own children as I have been fortunate to spend time with him through Alf Barry ( his steel guitarist in his band ) and he is still fighting the good fight at 86.

Great update. As you say, he is a lovely bloke, and he always had time for a chat if anyone recognised him.
Cheers!

I wasn't born until the 70s so wasn't around when Frank was in his pomp, but I love 60s music and 2 of his songs I remember you and The wayward wind I really like. I also thought he might of been named after Highfield Road with him coming from Cov(stage name) but it was spelt differently and he was born with it. Great at yodelling too. Also, when I was a kid in the 80s there was a beer advert that used his I remember you hit. Think it was for Wilsons or some other bitter.

I was camping in North Wales when that hit No. !. It was never off the transistor. I preferred the Ray Charles song that Frank kept at No. 2 bar a fortnight.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.