Tottenham not qualify for CL could be bad for us.

Darkhorse

First of all in the short and long term who do you see as a greater threat out of those competing for the CL spots? That being Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham and Newcastle.

Whilst it is not what really concerns me, IMO Arsenal and Chelsea are probably more dangerous because of being more established internationally. Also Arsenal should pose more of a threat come FFP and Chelsea will always be backed by the Russian Oil.

What concerns me is that if Tottenham fail to qualify for the CL Modric and Bale will be on their way. These are two very good players by all accounts, but there are varying opinions on whether we need them, they would suit us or are worth their respective transfer fees. For the sake of it, I believe that if we went for either or both of them we would be able to get them, but I don't believe we will. That leaves the question of where they will go. IMO it is very likley that it will be Man Utd if it is not us and this could be very bad.

Whilst we are surely going to improve drastically once again next season, if United land two or so key signings they will to. This United team isn't as bad as everyone makes out. Even though I prefer our squad to a man, in terms of playing style, ability and personality, I think that with the style that Utd play Bale and Modric would fit straight in and could transform them into a damn annoying rival.

In one sense it is what we need to have a rival like that, but I would like it if for one season we could the league without some of the stress of the past few weeks. It's been amazing, but my heart can't take another year like this.

So anyhow, my ramblings aside, I am interested to hear where you bluemooners want the other 2 CL spots to go?

I just want to see Redknapp squirm. Would love to see the guy get sacked at the end of the season. And for Spurs to go from a large pay-off from the FA to a large pay-out to Redknapp in the space of a few weeks would be a riot.

I agree with your general point about Spurs qualifying being better in the long-run for us. I also agree that their best players might be off at the end of the season. I think Modric will be Chelsea bound even if they don't qualify for the Champions League, but he could turn up at the rags because they need someone in their midfield like him and will be coming for us if we win the league this year, they won't have a choice. I doubt Bale will go to another club in this country and the rags have got good wingers so he won't be a requirement for them. He'll also be too costly to be a sound investment by us, I think.

I hate spuds and their ugly team, would love to see litile tots not qualify for CL and twitcher get sacked.

It's a good point but I suspect it really doesn't matter. Bale would probably go abroad and Modric I'm not convinced about; he's no Scholes or even Fletcher.

Let's look at the teams around us:

the rags - legendary manager who is probably half their strength and virtually irreplaceable. The heart of their midfield is old and immobile and they've failed to replace them now for a few seasons. While they've got massive debt they can't spend in the transfer market but if they ever mount a successful IPO and clear down that debt then they could be a problem. But they could also go through the same turmoil they experienced post-Busby.

Arsenal - A previously very good manager, who has become obsessed with doing it on the cheap, and with just a couple of years to run on his contract. They could be a danger if Usmanov ever gets control and starts spending but won't be while Kroenke has control.

Chelsea - managerial instability has been their possible bar to long-term success (although they haven't done too badly). But of all teams they have the hardest task to meet FFP it would seem so will be going through a trransition where the older, higher-earning players get replaced by younger, cheaper ones. Plus they have a ninterfering owner who will never let the manager just get on with it.

Spurs - The tax case and 'Arry for England' bandwagon have destabilised them and they might struggle to get that momentum back again. I suspect Daniel Levy would have been delighted to see the back of Redknapp but their record on picking managers has been somewhat patchy. If they do lose the better players they'll be fighting it out with Everton for 6th & 7th place I suspect.

Liverpool - one definite trophy and another possible one are just papering over the cracks at the moment as without top 4 they're just living on past glories. KK's taking them nowhere and I'm not sure the owners have any more clue than him either. Will probably need a couple of teams above them to implode as things stand or a good season for them will be fighting it out for a cup & Europa league spot.

Newcastle - it's been an interesting season for them but if they don't make the top 4 then the better players could go. Plus does anyone see Mike Ashley as a visionary owner? Hope they do stay up there though despite Ashley.

United aren't as bad as people think they are, are you sure ? United would be all over the place with Bale as he's not disciplined enough like Rooney to stay in position and thinks he can go all over the pitch, have two of them in the same team and you are knackered, Modric is OK but signed a big contract and if he goes anywhere it will be Chelsea.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.