tourists yesterday

RyantheBlue said:
How do you identify a 'tourist' out of interest?
Well if Arsenal is anything to go by they'll probably be clapping when the opposition score or taking pictures of the opposition players.

People still linking totally unassosciated issues with this thread for some unknown reason.

It is not to do with ANY of the following:

- City fans travelling to a Barca or Real Madrid match and watching them (unless you know of City fans who happen to be able to take the very limited number of tickets that Barca or Madrid get for their AWAY games instead of them going to genuine fans of those clubs)

- The ethnicity of any person involved. Given the ethnic make up of Manchester and the surrounding areas how the fuck can people automatically assume that reference to tourist is a byword for 'anyone not white'? Is everyone from Manchester white then?

- The selling on of tickets when people can't make the game. Is anyone really suggesting that large numbers of 'tourists' from places miles from Manchester, somehow hear of a bloke in Wythenshawe having to flog his ticket and make contact with him, agreeing a price.

- Being able to recognise everyone in the crowd. As if people turn on anyone they have never had the pleasure of travelling to a previous match with. As I've said before, I don't get to many aways these days but I have never been to an away game and recalled a) recognising the person next to me (unless they've come with me) or b) given a fuck who the person next to me is - it has been quite obvious they were just a City fan, why should I know them. Fuck, I wouldn't want to 'know' or recognise half the people at matches and this thread obviously isn't about that.

All that is bullshit.

The only issue here is people who have nothing whatsoever to do with supporting City and no previous connection with or feeling for the club, somehow being able to take advantage of some provided mechanism for taking prized, limited away tickets for big games that should be going to genuine City fans. That's genuine City fans who are white, black, blue, green, gay, straight, male, female, known to everyone in the crowd or known to no-one.

If anyone is genuinely saying that they can't work out what is meant by a 'tourist' in the away end at a football match then they must be mental. It is quite easy to work out. It is the people who are obviously there for a one off trip and obviously are not genuine City fans. Does that make them bad people? No. Does it make it a joke that they are able to get hold of limited away tickets for big games that should be going to genuine blues? Course it does.

FFS, I am getting pissed off here and it isn't even affecting me - not getting to aways at the moment. It's a simple concept, yet people are bringing all sorts of associated bullshit into it here.

Danny Hoekman said:
I don't do all aways anymore due to family and financial restrictions, though did about 15 years without missing one when younger and not bled dry by kids. Still do a fair few though. Is there really that many that do every one nowadays? Thinking about it, I probably recognised a hundred or so on Saturday at most. That doesn't mean anything though. I don't know where I'm going with this.
I was sat next to a young Scandanavian lady on Saturday who was pretty clued up and very vocal.
By the way, hasn't the OP mentioned in the past that he didn't go at all for quite some time whilst selling carpets, therefore would have not been recognised by many on his return to the fold? ;-) I still don't know where I'm going with this tbh.

Not many fans look like Jack Dempsy to be fair. Even I recognized him and it was my first game for years!

Eccles Blue said:
totallywired said:
greenie_34 said:
Before we start slapping ourselves on the back, lets look at the countless season ticket holders shifting on their tickets for yesterday. Yes the support was fantastic, and had more of a manc flavour, but there were plenty of people still selling their tickets.
Well said, the high points people who know they won`t go to the game so sell `there` ticket on this forum or in the pub. By doing this they are stopping the next highest points earner from getting a ticket to protect there total, Then come over all superior when someone they don`t recognise is at a game. Stick your small minded shite up your arse.

There are some people who buy their tickets in good faith, they are prepared to go to the match and then circumstances beyond their control mean they can't make it. So they pass it on, one way or another, to another City supporter.

I had to do this on Saturday due to Doctor's orders, so I gave my ticket away. Does this make me the sort of person you are mentioning in your final sentence??? No it doesn't so please let's try not to be too judgemental eh?

There are people who can make it and people who can't, yes it makes a difference sometimes, I found that at Arsenal last week but let's face it, it happens at most football stadiums.

I go to support City and although there are a couple of my friends who say I should be banned from away matches for the rest of the season I shall be at Wolves and at Newcastle!!

~I'm Man City and I'll go where I want,
I'll go where I want,
I'll go where I want
I'm Man City and I'll go where I want!!~

They say I should be banned because the only 2 matches I have missed all season we have won 1-6!!!

ONWARD AND UPWARD WITH MANCHESTER CITY

THE BOYS IN BLUE WILL NEVER GIVE IN.
There are people who buy tickets knowing that they will not be going to the. Fact. They then sell them on, either on this forum or elsewhere. Fact. Are you one of these, no because i read your post last week about being under doctors orders, if people genually can`t go to a game after purchasing a ticket then they are not part of the problem. Hope your health improves, although not much chance of that while watching the Blues is there.

The cookie monster said:
Skashion said:
We could have empty seats, or we could have tourists. I pick tourists.
Exactly.

And just how do you come up with the idea that if it wasn't for 'tourists' there would be loads of untaken tickets for games like United, Arsenal and Chelsea away?

I reckon that is total bullshit.

JohnMaddocksAxe said:
People still linking totally unassosciated issues with this thread for some unknown reason.

It is not to do with ANY of the following:

- The ethnicity of any person involved. Given the ethnic make up of Manchester and the surrounding areas how the fuck can people automatically assume that reference to tourist is a byword for 'anyone not white'? Is everyone from Manchester white then?

It's a simple concept, yet people are bringing all sorts of associated bullshit into it here.

True - but unfortunately it is quite clear from posts in this and other threads about "tourists", that quite a number DO associate the idea with ethnicity - hence the frequent reference to "asians" "Chinese" "Japanese" etc.

Incidentally this sort of negative view of "tourists", meaning in particular "non-whites", is not confined to football fans. I've come across it on, of all things, a DVD produced about trams!

I suspect that many of these tourist-haters are quite happy to go abroad, where of course they themselves are "tourists" - except that they would never consider themselves as such. Instead they would be annoyed if they perceived any sort of possible dislike from the natives of the countries they choose to grace with their presence.

Dear JMA

The issue of ethnicity is not 'bullshit'. Your dismissive disregard of the subject says more about you than it does about the issue per se, in that it is of no importance to you. Aren't you the lucky one?

And your demographic description of Greater Manchester was as trite as it was irrelevant. There's many a bigot who has a curry and gets an Asian cab home before voting to 'send the buggers back' [Ref. Phoenix Nights].

I'd stay clear of a subject that is clearly beyond your intellectual remit in future. Thank you and God Bless.x

JohnMaddocksAxe said:
And just how do you come up with the idea that if it wasn't for 'tourists' there would be loads of untaken tickets for games like United, Arsenal and Chelsea away?

I reckon that is total bullshit.
I've already said they shouldn't do it for the rags but games like Arsenal in the very recent past didn't used to sell out, and down to 3,500 (remembering this is after Supporters Club - and hence London blues, have most likely had their share) suggests it could drop down to zero with virtually none sold as all the hardcore that would travel to Arsenal actually have far more than that. If away games don't sell out on high points they usually go to open sale. Chelsea's only a problem because we've taken a small allocation there in the past few years - a result of not selling out I seem to recall. Now we probably could sell it out, with a little help from tourists. Liverpool didn't sell out only last April, just over a year ago. You'd have thought that would sell out even for an 8 PM weekday with how close it is. Our away support is not as big as you suppose it to be.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.