tourists yesterday

coleridge said:
Dear JMA

The issue of ethnicity is not 'bullshit'. Your dismissive disregard of the subject says more about you than it does about the issue per se, in that it is of no importance to you. Aren't you the lucky one?

All it says about me is that I am responding to a thread that is quite clearly referring to 'tourists' in terms of people who clearly mark themselves out as such at matches by being one or more of camera-happy, wearing stuff related to other clubs, audibly not knowing much at all about City players or clearly being from outside of the UK (and, no, that is not a comment of ethnicity, it is a comment on mannerisms and language - things which often make such a conclusion quite obvious).

Nowhere in this thread have I referred to anything to do with ethnicity and, without going back to check, I do not believe that the OP has either. It is quite clear what was meant by the vast majority (and I only say 'vast majority' because I do not have time to go back and check every post) of posts referring to 'tourists' and to say otherwise is duplicitous.

I do not doubt your own experiences at City matches in the past. They reflect my own thoughts on and experiences of certain sections of society. I also do not doubt that there are many currently in both society and City's fanbase who do have, let's say, less than pleasant views and attitudes, both towards genuine 'tourists' and anyone who does not look like them.

However, that is not the issue raised by this thread and to seek to accuse it of being so is judgemental, wrong and grossly insulting. To go on to compound the issue by seeking to then pin certain attributes on those who do not like seeing the tickets meant for genuine fans passed to any old highest bidder is even worse.

The intellectual remit comment, I can laugh off. The other insinuations, not as much so.

coleridge said:
And your demographic description of Greater Manchester was as trite as it was irrelevant. There's many a bigot who has a curry and gets an Asian cab home before voting to 'send the buggers back' [Ref. Phoenix Nights].

I'm sure there is. In fact, I know there is. However, I don't recall passing comment on or describing the demographic of Greater Manchester. Other than the comment:

"Given the ethnic make up of Manchester and the surrounding areas how the fuck can people automatically assume that reference to tourist is a byword for 'anyone not white'? Is everyone from Manchester white then?"

which is miles away from a description of the demographic of the area, other than the most basic of comments to say that the area is not wholly white - an issue which was raised earlier in the thread with, amongst others, your reference to your previous experiences at City games and another poster's reference to his own experience. And, a most relevant comment since, unless someone wishes to argue otherwise, skin colour and race is the overwhelming issue in the mind of most 'bigots', rather than someone appearing to be educated, middle class or anything other.

There's not much that will genuinely piss me off on the internet but I'll readily admit that the above has as it questions something which I hold to be an important personal issue, something that has seen me lose 'friends' in the past and, no doubt, will continue to do so in the future (and I'm not talking about perceptions of intellectual capability).

Got work to do now so don't think I'll be replying further to anything else on this topic in the next few hours.

Shocked in the way that certain things have been misrepresented on this thread though.

I've already said they shouldn't do it for the rags but games like Arsenal in the very recent past didn't used to sell out, and down to 3,500 (remembering this is after Supporters Club - and hence London blues, have most likely had their share) suggests it could drop down to zero with virtually none sold as all the hardcore that would travel to Arsenal actually have far more than that. If away games don't sell out on high points they usually go to open sale. Chelsea's only a problem because we've taken a small allocation there in the past few years - a result of not selling out I seem to recall. Now we probably could sell it out, with a little help from tourists. Liverpool didn't sell out only last April, just over a year ago. You'd have thought that would sell out even for an 8 PM weekday with how close it is. Our away support is not as big as you suppose it to be.
That was an anomaly though due to the fa cup game 5 days later. This year sold out from memory at 6000 plus points.

Danny Hoekman said:
I don't do all aways anymore due to family and financial restrictions, though did about 15 years without missing one when younger and not bled dry by kids. Still do a fair few though. Is there really that many that do every one nowadays? Thinking about it, I probably recognised a hundred or so on Saturday at most. That doesn't mean anything though. I don't know where I'm going with this.
I was sat next to a young Scandanavian lady on Saturday who was pretty clued up and very vocal.
By the way, hasn't the OP mentioned in the past that he didn't go at all for quite some time whilst selling carpets, therefore would have not been recognised by many on his return to the fold? ;-) I still don't know where I'm going with this tbh.

lol i know what you mean danny. i dont care where they are from or for how long they follow city but i expect them to be enthusiastic, to know which of the teams is city and know the rules. perhaps i'm wrong but the thought of a plastic taking a ticket a bluemooner could have had riles me. its so fucking rag like.

Dear JMA

Thank you for your your comprehensive response. I expected no less from you. I apologise for goading you with the 'intellectual remit' comment but I knew it would prompt a full and frank response. I just felt that a clarification was needed for our less enlightened brothers and sisters and I'm sorry for using you in this way.

Naturally, I accept everything that you say and respect your position. For the avoidance of doubt, I never accused you of bigotry in any form and never would do so. ;)

As it is, your posts were far more eloquent than mine and I pay my respects accordingly.
We'll discuss the bad old days of 'racism' some other time, my friend. Have fun at work. CTID

pmsl at the people on here trying to make it a race issue.

let me explain.
buy a ticket
sing for the lads
try and look interested.

thats the minimum requirement. is that too much too ask? no.
so all you lentil eaters take your racist shit to another thread.

de niro said:

let me explain.
buy a ticket
sing for the lads
try and look interested.

Fuck me, now you've turned it into a vegetarianism issue......an ism is an ism you know :)

If I'm a veggie does that mean I can't do aways ?

Gingers Dad said:
Can't believe people blame tourists for lack of atmosphere in our away support. City fans have been very quiet at the ones I've been to this season - Bolton, QPR, WBA and Sunderland.

QPR and Sunderland was dreadful. But Bayern munich, rags, villa, arsenal in cup and the rest was alot better!!

Gingers Dad said:
Can't believe people blame tourists for lack of atmosphere in our away support. City fans have been very quiet at the ones I've been to this season - Bolton, QPR, WBA and Sunderland.

When you compare Norwich to Arsenal mate, you can blame tourists for the lack of atmosphere and having a bunch of Germans behine you at Arsenal who only know Blue Moon.

de niro said:

let me explain.
buy a ticket
sing for the lads
try and look interested.

ye i agree its not hard, like at Swawsea i had family before who must own a box and have more money then they know what to do with, did not sing once in the game then when Richards scored that header al i got about 2 seconds after was "could you get of your seat please". I know the header did not count but come on that One point could mean a lot come the end of the season

Davs 19 said:
de niro said:

let me explain.
buy a ticket
sing for the lads
try and look interested.

Fuck me, now you've turned it into a vegetarianism issue......an ism is an ism you know :)

If I'm a veggie does that mean I can't do aways ?

Deffo not welcome, all fans must eat a dodgy burger, it's the only way.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.