U21 UEFA European Championship

The problem England have is we don't produce number tens and your deep-lying playmakers in the mould of a Toni Kroos, Xabi Alonso, Verrati etc...

The U17 group that lost in the final to Spain a few weeks back was probably the closest I have seen an England team with a good number ten and central midfielder in Foden and McEachran.

Marcus Edwards for Spurs who is in the England U19's is another one.

Abraham is a good striker, but doesn't suit a possession game for me.

I only caught the second half - i understand England were better in the first half - but what I saw we were poor - very poor and damn lucky not to get well beaten in the second half. A few players out there with Premier League experience like Redmond - but had no impact on the game at all. Bit depressing how poor we were. Good pen save from Pickford.

The problem England have is we don't produce number tens and your deep-lying playmakers in the mould of a Toni Kroos, Xabi Alonso, Verrati etc...

The U17 group that lost in the final to Spain a few weeks back was probably the closest I have seen an England team with a good number ten and central midfielder in Foden and McEachran.

Marcus Edwards for Spurs who is in the England U19's is another one.

Abraham is a good striker, but doesn't suit a possession game for me.

i agree. we are lacking midfielders especially creative ones. we have lots of younger talents so potentially the future is bright. in other areas we have a lot of talents especially at the back.

Watching Poland-Slovakia. Slovakia look a real quality team, playing some great stuff.

Watching this group of England players, & manager, a while ago, I was surprised that they appeared to be actually trying to play football in a not dissimilar manner than you would expect from a continental, or a City side.

The big 'surprise' being that Ady Bothroyd was overseeing it.

But there has been a change at all England levels in recent times, to playing 'proper' football, so very encouraging.

What appears to be happening in the latest round of games, is that either the players are unable to do that under pressure or the coaches are relaxing their demands on the players to do it, either way, when pressed, the U17s, U21s & senior team have looked, unfortunately, like a bunch of fucking donkeys.

Our lads at U17, being a level above, unsurprisingly.

OP updated with the stronger nations full squads.

Next game is Portugal vs Serbia, 17:00 KO, on Sky Sports 1:

Portugal strong as expected, Serbia actually have some very decent players involved as well. Surprised Renato Sanches isn't starting, how far his stock has fallen.

Last edited:
Goncalo Guedes put Portugal 1-0 up against the run of play. Good play from Podence who starts ahead of Bruma surprisingly but deservedly so, so far.

Portugal won 2-0, Serbia battered them as well.

Next game, Spain vs Macedonia, 19:45 KO (BST), live on Sky Sports:

Spain's squad is ridiculous.

Top goal from probably the best player in the tournament (Saul Niguez).

2-0, another wonder goal, from Asensio this time.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.