United Thread - 2023/24

Just back from delivering 70th birthday gift and card to a longstanding friend of more than 40 years, who is a lifelong Red and who's just joined me in the 'Really, Really Old Gits' Club'.

We touched very briefly on yesterday's game and his dissatisfaction with Ten Haag and his team and left it at that.

Then I noticed the pile of birthday gifts on the coffee table, most notably two boxes featuring a 'Lego United Crest' next to a 'Lego Titanic' (he's an inveterate 'puzzler' and jigsaw doer etc!)

It was an obvious opportunity but I really didn't have the heart to point out the humour/irony in the juxtaposition of those gifts. I know I should've done so but I just couldn't add to his misery.. so forgive me fellow Blues, I have sinned..

Last October we discussed City's 3-0 romp at the swamp and wondered if the rags could ever be sa bad again (in fact we had had the same discussion after our 2-0 win there in 2021!) Then yesterday they had a dream start after 8 minutes before the sad reality reasserted itself and the rags took another absolute pasting. But then we heard the man himself, none other than ETH, tell us that Utd had actually played well. They could have won. They were really unlucky not to get a draw! My United-supporting friend and I agreed this morning that this nonsense was the product of a delusional being inhabiting a fantasy world. Indeed my friend admitted freely when asked whether he'd enjoyed the match (!) that it wasn't as bad as he'd feared beforehand!

The point is that all great athletes and managers, all those who enjoy success, nevr blame bad luck, the officials, the weather or the line markings (!) for failure. Pep refuses point blank ever to make an excuse. He tries to control those things he can control and work ceaselessly on these. Yet ETH is stuck in excuse culture. "It's bad luck and injuries. If only Dias had still slipped but Rashford had actually scored we would have led 2-0 and won." I think (hope!) that until ETH faces facts head on that United will not improve, there'll always be an easy way out for players from underachievement to underachievement .... and they'll caryy on from pasting to pasting at our hands.

Just back from delivering 70th birthday gift and card to a longstanding friend of more than 40 years, who is a lifelong Red and who's just joined me in the 'Really, Really Old Gits' Club'.

We touched very briefly on yesterday's game and his dissatisfaction with Ten Haag and his team and left it at that.

Then I noticed the pile of birthday gifts on the coffee table, most notably two boxes featuring a 'Lego United Crest' next to a 'Lego Titanic' (he's an inveterate 'puzzler' and jigsaw doer etc!)

It was an obvious opportunity but I really didn't have the heart to point out the humour/irony in the juxtaposition of those gifts. I know I should've done so but I just couldn't add to his misery.. so forgive me fellow Blues, I have sinned..
You missed a trick there. Never forget the banner.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.