Using City's History

Thanks for the post, and credit to all connected.

I was unaware of it, and just read the timeline with great interest. Will take a much closer look over the summer.

Great stuff

BTH said:
Glad you gave Steve Kay a mention, Gary. He used to drive us mad with his stats, but I often think of him, wondering what he would make of it now if he was still with us. He was truly a lovely bloke and I think if his hard work could somehow be continued or included elsewhere it would be a terrific testimony to him. I think he'd have liked that. RIP Steve. x
Thanks for that and I totally agree about Steve. It's always important for anyone researching City's (or indeed any) history to acknowledge their sources. We all build on someone else's work or are influenced in some way. I remember sitting down with Steve in the City Social a few years back when he produced evidence that a cup game v Preston which, for over 60 years, had been recorded as being abandoned which then went to a replay was in fact completed and just ended ina draw, not an abandonment. Like me, Ray & co. Steve spent hours, days, weeks, months, years researching the oddest of details sometimes but the result for us is a set of stats that match our history - often quirky, sometimes bring back bad memories, but all part of City's rich tapestry.

It's just a pity that Steve, John and Dennis (and so many others) are not here to see what their club has achieved.

Now BTH when are you going to write a book? You know you've got the talent and it'd be a great read. I'd certainly buy it.

Thanks for pointing this out, I had no idea it existed, wow top work Gary, loving it

Gary James said:
I've posted this on the main forum instead of history because I'm not certain many people are aware of it, so here goes....

About three years ago Ric and I had a chat about the site which ended with me offering to give stats and history related material I'd researched and gathered over about 25 years to him for publication on the site. Years ago Steve Kay had set up his old stat site (which I'd helped with when he was first talking about setting it up) but sadly, following his death, that was not maintained and, after discussions with some at the club made it clear City weren't ready or able to create a site covering the club's history in this way, Ric and I felt it was right to get the history of the club out there in an authoritative manner with free access.

The Bluemoon history section was revised and relaunched by Ric with my stats/material which he now maintains. This is a fantastic resource showing lineups, goalscorers and so on for every 1st team game in the club's history together with profiles of every 1st team player. The site also includes pen pictures of every City manager and details on City's chairmen plus much more. It really is a great resource and Bluemoon deserves all the credit for presenting and preserving this material for anyone to access.

Having said all of that I'm not certain as many people use it or know it even exists as we'd like, so please spread the word. It's definitely a major plus point that a group of fans have set this up and maintain it.

If you're wondering what the hell I'm talking about then please take some time and have a look here: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/</a> It's well worth exploring and, if nothing else, means you won't need to seek out the Complete Record book if you want to know who appeared at York in 1998-99.

Ric and I have talked in the past about updating the history section with further material, so if it gets used enough and there's enough interest going forward then please let us know what you'd like to see added. Thanks.

couldn't find the attendance sheet for York away to check out the bogus claims on here

Gary James said:
BTH said:
Glad you gave Steve Kay a mention, Gary. He used to drive us mad with his stats, but I often think of him, wondering what he would make of it now if he was still with us. He was truly a lovely bloke and I think if his hard work could somehow be continued or included elsewhere it would be a terrific testimony to him. I think he'd have liked that. RIP Steve. x
Thanks for that and I totally agree about Steve. It's always important for anyone researching City's (or indeed any) history to acknowledge their sources. We all build on someone else's work or are influenced in some way. I remember sitting down with Steve in the City Social a few years back when he produced evidence that a cup game v Preston which, for over 60 years, had been recorded as being abandoned which then went to a replay was in fact completed and just ended ina draw, not an abandonment. Like me, Ray & co. Steve spent hours, days, weeks, months, years researching the oddest of details sometimes but the result for us is a set of stats that match our history - often quirky, sometimes bring back bad memories, but all part of City's rich tapestry.

It's just a pity that Steve, John and Dennis (and so many others) are not here to see what their club has achieved.

Now BTH when are you going to write a book? You know you've got the talent and it'd be a great read. I'd certainly buy it.

Hey gary - keep up the good work. In your paragraph above Preston and over 60 years brought back memories. I have a letter from John Maddocks confirming that my first game was at Maine Road 17th Oct. 1953 - City vs. Preston - 43,000 plus crowd - and City lost 4-1. Anders scored for City. I wrote to him only a few weeks/a month before he passed away. The letter is un-dated but i think it must have been in the 80's. I wanted it confirmed , at the time ,because my memory told me the game was in 1954 meaning that this year would be my 60 years but I now know that I have been supporting City for 61 years - this October. City gets into your blood.

It is appreciated Gary.

It has been a brilliant addition to this site and if it is getting overlooked it isn't due to any lack in knowledge or quality it's just that we have so much to occupy our thoughts right now. Like winning Trophies, excellent facilities and a quality of player most of us only ever dreamt about.

Like many others I have MCFC STATS bookmarked and was unaware of Steve's passing and therefore no updating taking place .I have seen the History section on the Index but am about to visit it for the 1st time if it is as good as MCFC Stats and all that you have added Gary it will be bookmarked instantly along with Steve's.
Bluemoon is the right place for it as the official site are apparently ignoring it ,almost as if these years never happened some of which we wished never had no I don't really mean that loved every minute since 1st game.
Bookmarked someone else said you remember a game but when you see the facts you find them a little different I just found that out myself I thought there was far more than the 29000+at my 1st game but that's what records are for Thanks all involved for updating both the records and me .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.