VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24

You’re wrong. The VAR does not have it in his remit to enforce his own opinion over the referee’s opinion in matters of subjectivity. No matter how much he may disagree with the on field decision.

That’s one of the core objectives of VAR, that they are not there to re-referee games.
No, but they 100% should have asked the referee to go and look at the monitor. They can certainly offer the opinion 'I think you've missed something there ref'.

You’re fully entitled to disagree with the protocol but as things stands, there is no such thing as a referee being asked or told to “check” his decision. Or “have another look” as you often hear ill informed pundits suggesting.
That happens quite often, whether it's protocol not.

I'm in favour of VAR but just not with these clowns in charge of it. I'm not a referee but I'm certain I could write a better set of protocols and guidance and ensure they are followed correctly compared to how the FA, PMGOl and Webb are performing. Currently its an utter shambles and surrounded in unnecessary secrecy.

Last edited:
You’re wrong. The VAR does not have it in his remit to enforce his own opinion over the referee’s opinion in matters of subjectivity. No matter how much he may disagree with the on field decision.

That’s one of the core objectives of VAR, that they are not there to re-referee games.
But whenever they ask the Ref to look at the monitor the ref 99% of the time overturns his on field decision.

Perhaps teams should appeal when this happens as its not part of their remit/protocol according to you?

They would say that wouldn't they. They close ranks everytime.
Hear no evil, see no evil.

To be fair, they’ve said they’ve got it wrong a couple of times this season, that’s more than they publicly did previously.

I think they need to be way more transparent than they are though.

That happens quite often, whether it's protocol not.

I'm in favour of VAR but just not with these clowns in charge of it. I'm not a referee but I'm certain I could right a better set of protocols and guidance and ensure they are followed correctly compared to how the FA, PMGOl and Webb are performing. Currently its an utter shambles and surrounded in unnecessary secrecy.
It's basically a flowchart that a fucking circus monkey could follow.

But whenever they ask the Ref to look at the monitor the ref 99% of the time overturns his on field decision.

Perhaps teams should appeal when this happens as its not part of their remit/protocol according to you?

They never ask the referee to go to the screen to “have a look” They only ask him to check the monitor when they are convinced with the hindsight of multiple replays that he has made a fundamental mistake.

If the system worked perfectly, which of course it’s impossible to achieve, then the referee would never, ever stick with his decision. As by definition that indicates the VAR is at fault sending him over there in the first place.

They never ask the referee to go to the screen to “have a look” They only ask him to check the monitor when they are convinced with the hindsight of multiple replays that he has made a fundamental mistake.

If the system worked perfectly, which of course it’s impossible to achieve, then the referee would never, ever stick with his decision. As by definition that indicates the VAR is at fault sending him over there in the first place.
I honestly think 'seniority' plays a part.

A junior referee will be way more inclined to take note of more senior VAR, whereas a more junior VAR might not even question a senior referee.

I honestly think 'seniority' plays a part.

A junior referee will be way more inclined to take note of more senior VAR, whereas a more junior VAR might not even question a senior referee.

Possibly. But if I was a senior referee who’d made a big mistake, I would much rather the VAR, bring it to my attention so I can correct it and by the end of the game it would most likely be forgotten all about.

Whereas if he bowed to my seniority and didn’t correct me, it might well be a mistake that is talked about for years to come.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.