Virgil van Dijk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any chance the signing of Lindelof causes Southampton to come up with a more realistic valuation for van Dijk? I would LOVE to have him as a part of the City squad!

You're talking on a forum where Martin Demichelis got abbreviated to MDM.

Acronyms aren't this place's strong suit.
Time and time again folks here make this same error you are making. So one more time:

Acronyms sometimes are formed using the initial letter of the words in the phrase. I.e
GIF: Graphic interchange Fotmat

Others are formed using non initial letters. I.e GESTAPO: Geheime Staatspolizei

Another example is AIDS: acquired immunodefficiency syndrome, which is a lot like MDM :).

But to be even more accurate, MDM is more like PMN: polymorphonuclear leukocytes.

In that unlike the others above MDM and PMN are more accurately considered initialism as opposed to acronyms. As with Acronyms you actually pronounce the abbreviations as if it were a word. I.e Fubu, laser, WiFi are arcronyms while FBI, CIA are initialism. Then you SAT, IRA and the like that are both.

Albeit, with so many so often getting this wrong the language is now adapting to allow initialisms in general to be loosely described as acronyms.

Now lets hope this gets on the radar of all the anti MDM propoponents out there. And if they are not happy with the MDM marlakey, they can always call the FBI or Interpol to get it his all sorted.

For what its worth MDM is probably on an island somewhere sipping pina coladas and nibbling on a Nabisco biscuit.

Yup, 'Vivandy' sounds just about right right now. And that's an acronym!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.