Wagging School-Playing Truant

talkativesprout

I discovered today that my son (yr 11) and his girlfriend have been "copping the wag" for about 7 days.

However far from being annoyed at him I found myself with admiring respect.

Absence reporting at the school has been digitalised, parents download the school app amongst a million things is an absence reporting link, negating the need for someone to answer the phone each morning. The app has many uses like keeping track of homework and timetables of lessons, so quite legitimately can be used by students.

It appears that there isn't 2 versions of the app for parent/student and that the absence reporting function can be used by anyone that has downloaded and signed into the app...can you see the flaw yet? The school didn't my son and his bird did and exploited it.

My sons girlfriends parents are a bit miffed, but I refuse to ignore the ingenuity of it and would have done the same thing myself at their age.

Am I a bad role model for him?

His girlfriend is 15 so talk of back doors and pic requests is a no-no you fuckin pervs ;)

A future genius in the making.

You've brought back a funny memory. One day I was late in from an appointment and was signing in at the office. There was a CCTV screen behind the secretary that was homed in on a well known escape spot and I saw a lad I knew making a move for the fence. My signing in was complete and I saw him go for the fence, and stayed waffling to the secretary so she didn't catch him on the screen.

While it’s a little bit funny, it’s not funny that they’re in their most important school year to date. If they were in Year 8 where it doesn’t really matter them missing time from school all that much, fair enough; but in Year 11, every lesson is important.

• Pupils who did not achieve grade 9 to 4 in English and maths GCSEs in 2019 had an overall absence rate of 8.8% over the key stage, compared with 5.2% among pupils who achieved a grade 4 and 3.7% among pupils who achieved grade 9 to 5 in both English and maths.
  • Among pupils with no missed sessions over KS4, 83.7% achieved grades 9 to 4 in English and maths compared to 35.6% of pupils who were persistently absent.
2019 was the last proper year of exams before the years where there were adaptations due to Covid in 2020, 2021 and 2022. In 2023, all exams are back to how they were in 2019 and the DfE want to stage results to be lower than the Covid years, back to the level they were in 2019.

Get in the classroom! What they’ve missed this week could be the difference between a 3 and a 4 next Summer, or between the grade they need to get into college and the grade below that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.