Was it ever English?

From Wiki:

The competition formed as the FA Premier League on 20 February 1992. So it seems it has never been named the EPL or BPL.
Apologies for any confusion...the marketing of the PL is done by NBCSN and they call it the EPL, but I've also seen it referred to as the BPL. I have no doubt that the Premier League itself calls it simply the Premier League, both for simplicity and the prestige that comes from the name!

I think we cannot have it both ways. If we want to spend the fortunes we do as a league and get the TV deals that keep the PL at the top of the tree financially, then its innevitable. Take the china deal the PL signed recently. £600 for 3 years starting in 2019 and suddenly we see the potential of 11am kick offs. That would be 6pm in say Beijing, no co-incidence to me. The next step like you say is games abroad. I wouldnt have a problem with it really as its going to become just another part of the game.
Given the fixture congestion already built in for CL teams, I just don't know where you fit in a trip to and from China for a 90 minute game. In addition, what happens to Seasoncard holders? Which game? I assume they would want a marquee "Asian" game, so does United play Liverpool over there? What does that do for both sets of fans, for whom some say this is their biggest game of the season?

Any such fixture would have to be dealt with wearing kid gloves, because it is fraught with fan backlash and the ability to point the finger at money actually ruining the English game.

I have never referred to the premier league as the EPL. It's an American term I think, the premier league is called the premier league. Has never had England or English in the title.

Pisses me off that people still call it the premiership. It was always the premier league officially and known as (English) premier league abroad, but known as the premiership in the uk until 2007 when It was changed to premier league.

Premiership is egg chasing or Scottish pub football.

If any league games are moved to a neutral site that would be the end of the line for me. As an uneducated yankee who makes up before the sun to watch City and follows most of the "big" European competitions one of my favorite things is the stadium atmosphere. I do not like Liverpool at all but I do not want to hear you'll never walk alone sang in Chinese or Arabic or wherever they think the biggest payday is. Winning at the swamp and shutting up the rags supporter's all the while singing and chanting is what makes this game the best. Over here we have music and video screens with God knows what on them that amount to forced fandom. With soccer you get the game and that is pretty much it, so the fans make the atmosphere, don't take that away.

I predict a 4th place CL play off tournament taking place in Asia between the teams who finish 4th to 7th within the next 5 years. Maybe sooner if a certain club average finishing 6th or 7th.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.