What got you supporting City?

My Dad

Use to take me as a kid, no matter how much i moaned at him.

Passed me over the kippax turnstiles and would sit on the wall, far left of the kippax.

Took me to my first away game sheff weds away when Bernabia tore them apart!

Hooked ever since - cheers dad!

mcmanus said:
I'd love to see this thread on Redcafe.
What got you supporting United ?
Always wondered ,when ever I hear or read about rag fans, how they all started to support them when they were sh1t. Should have built the 70,000 seat stadium then.

It was the nearest premier team to me in Truro, I think, and George Best is my fav player and Sir Alex should play him more often.

Claudio Reyna.

As an American, he was always my hero (played at the University of Virginia, where my family went to school) and I grew up watching him play... when he joined from Sunderland I really enjoyed watching him, Anelka, SWP, etc.

We emigrated to South Africa in 1972, and my dad bought me a maroon travel bag that had Manchester City written on it along with our crest of the time.
I was 6 and he showed me this bag and asked me to say the name on the bag- I said Manchester Kitty (reading as I was thought was correct) and after he corrected me and the bag was mine I haven't looked back.
In the 1970s in SA we didn't have any link at all to English football, so I had to follow my beloved city from the Shoot magazine which at that time was always around 3 weeks behind due to it being literally shipped out.
Happy days indeed!

Some great stories here!

My family is blue through to the core - my gran lived in Longsight so my dad started watching City from a young age. On my mum's side, my gramp who was a southerner always had a soft spot for City, so when he moved to Manchester it was the obvious choice.
Mum and Dad actually met through the old social club at Maine Road.
Naturally me and our kid were brainwashed into supporting the blues and have been watching City since the late 70s early 80s.
Despite all the ups and downs and the rise of Utd under Slur Alcy I've had some great times as a blue and wouldn't have missed any of it for the world.
I've passed the mantle over to my kids and they're doing me proud. My 12 year old lad (lucky sod) hasn't really seen a crap City in the 5 years he's been watching the blues!
Seeing the explosion of blue kits in a previously "red" school is very pleasing too!

My City daft dad, taking me as a baby when living on Claremont Road. I didn't stand a chance!

No family connections for me. Dad was a Spurs fan who died before he could get me down to White Hart Lane and Mum had no particular interest in the game. Ironically, she now follows City through me and we eventually watched our first TV match together about 3 seasons ago!

I grew up in North Manchester so it was only going to be City or another Club for me. A Neighbour was City mad and offered me his spare to City v Blackpool in 1998 so I took it for something to do (first ever match inside a big stadium) and was immediately hooked courtesy of a 3-0 win. I didn't go again until the following season but then it was 6-0 against Sheffield United which was afforded courtesy of my first ever pay cheque.

Overall, I'm happy with the choice.

I was playing with a friend in the street in Salford and he said "I support United what team do you support"
"I don't know I'll go and ask my Dad" I replied and the rest is history.
First game 26th October 1957 against Luton Town

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.