Who is the best City goalkeeper in history?

In my lifetime I would say Joe Corrigan.
Trautmann by reputation for what he did.
I have a feeling Ederson will be a proper contender. Brave, technically very sound, and probably the best distribution I have yet seen from any of our keepers. He is the real deal.

my old man always said trautmann but all his many brothers all said swift. actually if you bother to trawl through old videos you see bert letting a few in you would expect bravo to save. so do not really know. so far think ederson looks the real deal as they say. looks tough as fuck too.

I always thought Barry Siddall was very underated. His cunning way of deflecting the floodlights off his shiny bonce used to blind the centre forwards of the mid 80s. Then you had Perry Suckling who had that much gel n hairspray on his head that that he used to leave a slick of gunge for the attackers to slip in. Anyway, the best I've seen is TC by a country mile. I'll never forget that double save at home to Coventry City in the platt lane end and I think Leroy Rosiener if I'm mistaken, he saves a bullet point blank header then gets to the follow on shot on his way down. Very similar to Nixons at Oldham in the 80s. Worst was that useless bag of shite Margetson, absolutely raped a living for years that **** .

Let's not forget our golden era of goalkeepers back in the 90s....

unnamed.jpg

16364-zoom.jpg

Eike-Immel-beendete-bei-ManCity-seine-Karriere.jpg

if you bother to trawl through old videos you see bert letting a few in you would expect bravo to save

That's true. Remember, though, that 'keepers and defenders from earlier times really suffer because nearly all the surviving footage of them involves goals being conceded. You see their mistakes but not most of the good things they did, whereas the opposite is true of forwards.

I think all you can do is judge them against contemporaries, and if you haven't seen them play, go by reputation. Swift and Bert were each widely rated throughout English football as the best in the game in their era, and by a mile as well. Would you say that's the case with any of our later keepers? I don't really think so, though it's harder these days as the competition comes from some of the best goalkeepers from all round the world as opposed to just Britain and Ireland.

Ederson does look very good so far, though. Hope he lives up to this promise as he appears to have everything needed to be a really top 'keeper in this era.

Alex Williams had the potential to have been one of the best ... he was excellent and don't forget he had all the racist shit to put up with ... nice guy as well

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.