Who now then?...

Yeh that's what I've said in my last few posts. The conflicting briefs from the club has not made it confusing about what they want in that role. At the end of the day, I know they don't have to share anything but that being the case, it would be helpful if the club were consistent with their messaging, or consistent with saying Jack shit.

People have been assuming we have been trying to 'replace' Fernandinho, is where the confusion comes from imo.

What we have been looking at, is replacing Yaya, with a player who could be backup for Fernandinho or play with him. Hence we looked at both Fred & Jorginho, who are both different kinds of player.

Pep said yesterday, that Gundogan wasn't signed to play there either.

Need to be careful with beating up City over supposed failure to find back up / replacement for Fernandinho.
I see shedloads of comments about supposed qualities that this player needs...where posters are simply projecting their own wishlist of what this player should look like.
I don't see anyone saying we need a slow tall gangly guy who has a low pain threshold but this sums up Busquets who is probably as close as anything to the player that PEP is looking for.

Fernandinho was a box to box player at Shaktar and has adapted his game with great discipline to do a great job for us...but he does not necessarily represent the blueprint for what Pep wants as a replacement.

Calmness under pressure / variety of passing range / great positional discipline + reading of the game / height (to win first + second balls) especially in Premier League vs La Liga...
this is what Pep is looking for and it is pretty difficult to find either internally or externally.

I would love to sign Doucoure from Watford - not that he ticks all the boxes either - but that his athletic skillset will help replace ferna's energy in the team

I know. I agree with you. Its just that it narks me that we seem to have spent a lot of time chasing players who may not have been right for us. Which in fairness to pep and tixi over the last 2 years is a rarity. As they've generally got it right. But like I said earlier it's the conflicting messaging about what we want for the role that has pissed me off. From jorghinio to stones is such a big difference in abilityand style of play in that role Fern to stones is equally not what what I would consider to be a seamless transition in quality or style of play. Just all very confusing.

Maybe it is because the team is now very flexible. The players have bought into a system of playing where each is an important cog in a supreme machine. What I see now are individuals who all know what is expected and are confident of carrying out their jobs. Roles change within a game and they do it seamlessly.

I will use Mahrez as an example, he is new and clearly still learning in regards of positioning and movement what is expected in a pep team. Whoever comes in needs to adapt ,whatever skill sets they bring with them. Mahrez May take a month or two before he is fully integrated. Look at Sterling , under Pelligrini he was stranded on the line , receiving the ball when stationary, now he recieved the ball, quickly and when he is moving, the key to his improvement.

People have been assuming we have been trying to 'replace' Fernandinho, is where the confusion comes from imo.

What we have been looking at, is replacing Yaya, with a player who could be backup for Fernandinho or play with him. Hence we looked at both Fred & Jorginho, who are both different kinds of player.

Pep said yesterday, that Gundogan wasn't signed to play there either.
Its true. I said some time ago that looking at jorghinio and Fred, they looked as though they were set up to play with fern as opposed to instead of.

Nope, wondering if we think there might be a loan option out there.

Must be trying to hijack Kovacic deal to Chelsea if this is the case. Reports are saying Madrid using Kovacic as a short term solution to Chelsea's 'midfield problem' so they can focus on bringing a keeper in. Reports also saying he would prefer us.

There may be something in it but I am not sure on whether Real would do a deal with us as nothing would be going the other way.

Maybe it is because the team is now very flexible. The players have bought into a system of playing where each is an important cog in a supreme machine. What I see now are individuals who all know what is expected and are confident of carrying out their jobs. Roles change within a game and they do it seamlessly.

I will use Mahrez as an example, he is new and clearly still learning in regards of positioning and movement what is expected in a pep team. Whoever comes in needs to adapt ,whatever skill sets they bring with them. Mahrez May take a month or two before he is fully integrated. Look at Sterling , under Pelligrini he was stranded on the line , receiving the ball when stationary, now he recieved the ball, quickly and when he is moving, the key to his improvement.
True. Spot on.

Need to be careful with beating up City over supposed failure to find back up / replacement for Fernandinho.
I see shedloads of comments about supposed qualities that this player needs...where posters are simply projecting their own wishlist of what this player should look like.
I don't see anyone saying we need a slow tall gangly guy who has a low pain threshold but this sums up Busquets who is probably as close as anything to the player that PEP is looking for.

Fernandinho was a box to box player at Shaktar and has adapted his game with great discipline to do a great job for us...but he does not necessarily represent the blueprint for what Pep wants as a replacement.

Calmness under pressure / variety of passing range / great positional discipline + reading of the game / height (to win first + second balls) especially in Premier League vs La Liga...
this is what Pep is looking for and it is pretty difficult to find either internally or externally.

I would love to sign Doucoure from Watford - not that he ticks all the boxes either - but that his athletic skillset will help replace ferna's energy in the team

Your right. Particularly with how fern has had to adapt his game. The thing is that in the prem at least we know without doubt that ferns qualities have been effective. As good as busquet is I don't know whether he would be as effective as fern is in the prem. On reflection javi garcia was similar in pace to busquet so I'm leaning towards a he or similar type player may find the prem difficult. Subject to adapting his game slightly I would plump for lemina at Southampton.

I think we’ve made it absolutely clear in the last couple of windows (and put down a marker for future signings) that we won’t be taken for mugs - we have our valuation of a player and won’t enter any bidding wars - and that we will only sign players who genuinely want to come and play for the club and aren’t motivated simply by money. That’ll do for me.

Yep, and isn't that making the difference to other PL top clubs?
City is not only about 'oil money' but about a clear philosophy running the club on a wider scale.

I think that's the true advantage and I am happy for every single day media and opponent fans don't get the point.

Attitude on top level makes the difference and City want to sign top attitude with a strong focus on a team-approach.

This is a great point. Busquets and Alcantara don't share Fern's athelticism but those have been the guys that Pep's looked to for this role at other clubs (and Lahm of course, who is more athletic to be fair). I think it's very telling that he's talked about putting Stones there; passing ability is clearly paramount.

This is a great point. Busquets and Alcantara don't share Fern's athelticism but those have been the guys that Pep's looked to for this role at other clubs (and Lahm of course, who is more athletic to be fair). I think it's very telling that he's talked about putting Stones there; passing ability is clearly paramount.

Stones' passing ability is great for a central defender but not good enough to play in midfield apart from emergencies imo.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.