who remmebers city's club call

I remember when we had to play Brentford in the FA Cup (1988 I think) and City received a small allocation.
From work I rang Brentford's club call and the message said
''Welcome to Brentford FC's official club call. To hear details about tickets for the FA Cup tie against Manchester City, details will follow soon. First, we have a match report for the reserves game last night at (wherever they played)......''

I listened for about two minutes to this fucking match report before someone came into the office and I ended the call lol

LongsightM13 said:
And the rival phone service, Team Talk.
Both were a complete rip-off, a snail's pace, excessively padded rehash of tabloid gossip at eye-watering premium rates, with huge gaps between the 'stories' and a lengthy intro of music and blarney. Horrendous phone bills and bollockings from my parents as a result.
As addictive as crack cocaine in the days before the Interweb, though

Yes, I do remember the shakes as I forced my 10p peace's into those old red, piss-reeking booths for my daily fix of Thank you for the music by Abba on Dial A Disc.....ahhh fond memories.

I work in comms and i used to krone a handset onto a radom extension in the wiring and make calls to club call so nobody could trace them to me!

Impeccable said:
There were also them annoying Ceefax and Teletext pages.

''TRANSFER SENSATION'' with a premium rate number to ring.
I remember that. BBC Teletext Sport was 302, but I forget ITV Teletext's City page number. Was it 141?

Responsible for taking Ian Cheeseman from steward on the football special to droning on about City for a living.

Not to be forgotten or forgiven.

On the plus side, I won their fantastic weekly competition once and won some shit book and free tickets for City against Ipswich in the Full members Cup.

Marvin said:
Impeccable said:
There were also them annoying Ceefax and Teletext pages.

''TRANSFER SENSATION'' with a premium rate number to ring.
I remember that. BBC Teletext Sport was 302, but I forget ITV Teletext's City page number. Was it 141?

i think you could be right on 141. I had forgotten all about that.

I used to get my old man to send me the pink everyweek as i was serving in the RAF at the time.

Waking up early off nights down the falklands to listen to World service.

Fuck me....cost my parents a fortune too !
Remember the intro jingle vividly and the fact it was about 2 mins in before you get any juice info....then again, I didn't give a toss as I wasn't paying the bill !!

Its amazing to think of the ways and lengths you would go too to get club news in pre-internet and, for that matter, pre Premiership days. Worst times were in the close season - remember them? I used to avidly sit by the radio for Piccadilly's 1:30pm news/sports slot for signings to turn up, I remember the Clive Allan signing and then him and Bishop being paraded the same day some weeks later. Also waiting each day for the MEN to come out, not usually available before 2pm in the Manchester suberbs and again, you would be waiting for news of a signing. The differences between then and now are incredible and people under 25-years of age would have a shock if transported back to a time when there wasn't wall-to-wall footy even during the season let alone in the summer.

In respect of the OP, I do remember Club Call, bloody expensive and a rip-off!

Me and a friend found an old style brick of a phone on the pavement where we lived. Earlier in the day I'd seen on teletext that 'International defender to sign!!!!' so I give it a ring....
Phil Babb. Gutted

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.