who remmebers city's club call

Mel machin umming and arring used to cost 35p. Put the phone down quick style if it was the same as an hour earlier. Quality

LongsightM13 said:
And the rival phone service, Team Talk.
Both were a complete rip-off, a snail's pace, excessively padded rehash of tabloid gossip at eye-watering premium rates, with huge gaps between the 'stories' and a lengthy intro of music and blarney. Horrendous phone bills and bollockings from my parents as a result.
As addictive as crack cocaine in the days before the Interweb, though

i hung on their every word..what a phone bill tho,mum went mental at one of em-think it was the plymouth away 6-2 win...live commentary..think we were drawing with them (?) and then just went goal crazy..as we seemed to do a lot that 1st season under Machin...got carried away with the excitement of it all..by the time me mum had finished with me nearly needed an ambulance to carry me away.

oakiecokie said:
The missus had gone away with the girls for a couple of nights and I came back from the pub a little worse for wear.
At about midnight I used the bedroom phone and made a call for an update on a Transfer (can`t think who it was)
Next morning our neighbour knocked me up at about 11.30am and said that the missus had been phoning me but couldn`t get through,so hence the call to the neighbour.
Fuck me I`d only fallen asleep without putting the phone back properly !!
Next quarter when the phone bill arrived I got a right bollocking.
£147 worth of call I`d used on City !!

I'd have been more concerned about falling asleep and failing to hang up after ringing a 'wank' number!!!!!

nothing i miss more than citys teletext page. i used to wait eagerly for all the pages to load so i could read them all at once.

ITV was 401, then 140. Between me and my brother we had worn the numbers off the remote control at our folks' house back then. The numbers 302 an 140 were basically non-existent.

I would sit there patiently to wait until the teletext page got to the club gossip page. Sometimes it could be 10 pages long and i'd wait there then get giddy as it got to page 9. 9 times out of 10 I would be left more than disappointed on page 10!

Kids these days don't even know they're born with the info at hand.

Bloody hell that's a blast from the past !! Living in Milton Keynes in the 80's there was very little coverage of City at all, I would spend hours on that club call number to find out information and even more so during close season trying find out results of pre-season games in Norway or where ever !! I remember I rang up such a high bill that my Mum sold my the TV in my bedroom to pay for the phone bill !!!

Pigeonho said:
ITV was 401, then 140. Between me and my brother we had worn the numbers off the remote control at our folks' house back then. The numbers 302 an 140 were basically non-existent.

I would sit there patiently to wait until the teletext page got to the club gossip page. Sometimes it could be 10 pages long and i'd wait there then get giddy as it got to page 9. 9 times out of 10 I would be left more than disappointed on page 10!

Kids these days don't even know they're born with the info at hand.

the gossip page was addictive

Impeccable said:
oakiecokie said:
The missus had gone away with the girls for a couple of nights and I came back from the pub a little worse for wear.
At about midnight I used the bedroom phone and made a call for an update on a Transfer (can`t think who it was)
Next morning our neighbour knocked me up at about 11.30am and said that the missus had been phoning me but couldn`t get through,so hence the call to the neighbour.
Fuck me I`d only fallen asleep without putting the phone back properly !!
Next quarter when the phone bill arrived I got a right bollocking.
£147 worth of call I`d used on City !!

I'd have been more concerned about falling asleep and failing to hang up after ringing a 'wank' number!!!!!

Now that would have taken some fucking explaining to "her indoors"

City63 said:
Marvin said:
Impeccable said:
There were also them annoying Ceefax and Teletext pages.

''TRANSFER SENSATION'' with a premium rate number to ring.
I remember that. BBC Teletext Sport was 302, but I forget ITV Teletext's City page number. Was it 141?
City page 513 iirc

mmm Thougt ITV footie was 140. Pissed off when we in div 3 - cant remember us having a page then.

used to call it a lot in the 80's. i remember ringing loads one week cos we were really heavily linked with gary penrice from bristol rovers ffs, got me all excited. could have bought him for what i spent on clubcall.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.