Who said City couldnt play?

my great auntie would sing this to me when i was young.

she told me how she would go to the reserve derby games(all the girls did this)as all the boys would be there.

Apologies for throwing off topic question in but it is city history related.

I recently found one of the original city magazines from 1967 in the attic. Think I remember buying it on the forecourt at MR as a kid - its full of great stuff from the time and the cover page says something like 'soccer 67 is here so get with it and join the city set!'.

Joe Mercer also sets out his plans and our new signing Colin Bell from Bury is featured!

I don't know if many of these are left but would be happy to pass it to city or a historian if it is classed as rare so long as it goes to a good home.

Can Gary James or anyone else shed any light?

Norman kneejerk said:
Apologies for throwing off topic question in but it is city history related.

I recently found one of the original city magazines from 1967 in the attic. Think I remember buying it on the forecourt at MR as a kid - its full of great stuff from the time and the cover page says something like 'soccer 67 is here so get with it and join the city set!'.

Joe Mercer also sets out his plans and our new signing Colin Bell from Bury is featured!

I don't know if many of these are left but would be happy to pass it to city or a historian if it is classed as rare so long as it goes to a good home.

Can Gary James or anyone else shed any light?

It ran for about 18 months I think (got the details somewhere). I have a few issues, but not all. Which issue is it? Obviously, I'd be interested if it's not one I've got.

It was produced by Paul Doherty (Peter's son and eventually City's programme editor). Initially it was supposed to be independent of the club but it wasn't really.

It did include some very interesting features and was popular, but not popular enough to last unfortunately.

It doesnt actually have a date on it but I'll take a guess it was the first issue.

Down the fixture list I wrote the actual results up to the united game on Sept 30 1967 and after that wrote my predictions for the matches to come so it looks like September 67.

Thanks for the info about Paul Doherty

Let me know if you want the mag - happy to hand it over!

Norman kneejerk said:
It doesnt actually have a date on it but I'll take a guess it was the first issue.

Down the fixture list I wrote the actual results up to the united game on Sept 30 1967 and after that wrote my predictions for the matches to come so it looks like September 67.

Thanks for the info about Paul Doherty

Let me know if you want the mag - happy to hand it over!

Do you know what the cover image/headline is?

If it's the players running/training then it does sound like issue 1 (which I've got). If not I think it should say issue 2 (or whatever) near the top.

Cheers

Its a picture of Tony Book challenging Paul Reaney (I think) for the ball. He looks to have maroon on - black and white photo.

It cost 2 and 6 and there is a forward by Mr Alexander who hopes we have had value for our half a crown!

There is also an interview with a guy I don't remember, Mr Dick Carpenter the Public Relations Officer talking about the 150 club, putting licenced bars in, scoreboard scoop etc.

Its a good read!

Hope that helps. By the way this is definitely an official magzine - I think I might remember another one from an unofficial souvenir shop on Maine Road that ran for while. Could it be there were 2 different mags?

Norman kneejerk said:
Its a picture of Tony Book challenging Paul Reaney (I think) for the ball. He looks to have maroon on - black and white photo.

It cost 2 and 6 and there is a forward by Mr Alexander who hopes we have had value for our half a crown!

There is also an interview with a guy I don't remember, Mr Dick Carpenter the Public Relations Officer talking about the 150 club, putting licenced bars in, scoreboard scoop etc.

Its a good read!

Hope that helps. By the way this is definitely an official magzine - I think I might remember another one from an unofficial souvenir shop on Maine Road that ran for while. Could it be there were 2 different mags?

I don't have that issue. If you definitely don't want it and are happy to pass it on, you could post it to me c/o my publishers James Ward, PO BOX 822, Halifax HX1 9FX. Or if you want you could send it to me, I'll scan the pages and then send it back and you could probably sell it on ebay.

This is the same mag I'm thinking of but in the first issue they tried to make out it was independent of the Club but in truth it wasn't, so maybe by the time of this issue they gave up on all the pretence. Cheers.

Who said city couldn't play, city couldn't play, city couldn't play,
Who said city couldn't play, city couldn't play football.
Yaya passed to Silva and Silva knocked it back,
Yaya took a rocket shot and knocked the goalie flat
Who said city couldn't play, city couldn't play...

"Not in my lifetime", or so that Fergie said
Now we'll win the premier league and still the twats not dead
Who said City couldn't play...

The Colonel said:
Who said city couldn't play, city couldn't play, city couldn't play,
Who said city couldn't play, city couldn't play football.
Yaya passed to Silva and Silva knocked it back,
Yaya took a rocket shot and knocked the goalie flat
Who said city couldn't play, city couldn't play...

"Not in my lifetime", or so that Fergie said
Now we'll win the premier league and still the twats not dead
Who said City couldn't play...

The tune is to the 'oh my what a rotten song' bit from 'Knees Up Mother Brown' so you might want to fit it in with that. KUMB is still used by West Ham, it's more commonly known to football fans as the tune to 'Who ate all the pies' or to City fans as the 70's classic 'Who's Up Mary Brown'.

Did anyone get any further with the City lyrics circa 1934? (There's another thread with something about Tilson in it).

KNEES UP MOTHER BROWN
Traditional Party Song

Knees up Mother Brown
Knees up Mother Brown
Under the table you must go
Ee-aye, Ee-aye, Ee-aye-oh
If I catch you bending
I'll saw your legs right off
Knees up, knees up
Never get the breeze up
Knees up Mother Brown

Oh my, what a rotten song
What a rotten song
What a rotten song
Oh my, what a rotten song
And what a rotten singer
Too-oo-ooh

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.