William Carvalho

Someone might understand this more than I do. But is it possible that the role of pivot is more about being the player that others players move around - rather than, say, a defensive midfielder who runs around doing lots of defending. In this way, the lack of mobility is less important in the role of pivot as they are more there to 'organise' the more
mobile players around them in both defence and attack?

Since I didn't know too much about him and only seen him play about a handful of times, I decided to ask a Sporting fan about Carvalho.

Here was the response:
Is he a fast player? No he's not and personally I don't think he will ever be a fast player. But I could definitely see him playing in Guardiola's possession oriented system, just don't expect him making too many runs forward. He's at his best in a 3 man midfield - sitting deep almost as a 3rd central defender which would allow the full backs to push up.

Strong points: Passing, controlling the tempo during offensive phase, timing of tackles, strength especially when shielding the ball, positioning.

Weak points: Lack of pace, shooting, finishing, can improve and be more dominant in the air

Frankly, other than the lack of pace which I don't think he will ever have, he has the qualities Guardiola looks for: positioning, passing, controlling the tempo, tackling. In a DM role those are the attributes you want.

Here is a video from last season:

-------

So that's his reply. This transfer definitely seems on. Links haven't gone away for months.

Since I didn't know too much about him and only seen him play about a handful of times, I decided to ask a Sporting fan about Carvalho.

Here was the response:
Is he a fast player? No he's not and personally I don't think he will ever be a fast player. But I could definitely see him playing in Guardiola's possession oriented system, just don't expect him making too many runs forward. He's at his best in a 3 man midfield - sitting deep almost as a 3rd central defender which would allow the full backs to push up.

Strong points: Passing, controlling the tempo during offensive phase, timing of tackles, strength especially when shielding the ball, positioning.

Weak points: Lack of pace, shooting, finishing, can improve and be more dominant in the air

Frankly, other than the lack of pace which I don't think he will ever have, he has the qualities Guardiola looks for: positioning, passing, controlling the tempo, tackling. In a DM role those are the attributes you want.

-------

So that's his reply. This transfer definitely seems on. Links haven't gone away for months.

A bit underwhelmed by that I must say. I personally would rate our Garcia over him. Just given this viewing and nothing else. His vision isn't exceptional. Need to see more though.. Maybe this is just an eye blind.

Here was the response:

-------

His or her comments made me instantly think of Sergio Busquets in Pep's system. Very rarely goes forwards or gets goals, but his positioning, passing, and awareness are what sets him apart. I'll admit Carvalho would be a bit underwhelming for me in comparison to Fabinho but if we can't land Fab then I trust Pep and will give Carvalho the opportunity to win me over.

Does anyone think that if Pep is indeed interested in Carvalho, it could be to play CB? He has played there previously and does seem to have the attributes of a ball playing centre back. Just a thought...

Not seen very much of him but does seem to lack the sort of pace/movement Pep craves however, maybe the role Pep has in mind for him that wouldn't be an issue.

Let's wait and see.

Not seen very much of him but does seem to lack the sort of pace/movement Pep craves however, maybe the role Pep has in mind for him that wouldn't be an issue.

Let's wait and see.

Well he'd be playing the pivot role like Busquets does, but im not sure he's intelligent enough to play the role. There's a real dearth of top CMs around at the moment though.

Well he'd be playing the pivot role like Busquets does, but im not sure he's intelligent enough to play the role. There's a real dearth of top CMs around at the moment though.
Yeah I've realised him and if he signs Yaya will be sharing that position for us.

Just hoping he's less Garcia who ironically had his best season before we got rid and a bit more Kante.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.