William Carvalho

Fabregas. Alonso. Barry.

All fantastic premier league midifelders who had no pace.

Pace isn't important in that position.

Fabregas has never played that position, he's always had an Alex Song/Busquets/Matic/Kante to do his dirty work.

Alonso and Barry prove that you can be great in that position without being fast yes, but not having pace is still a weakness that can and will be exploited, as was the case for both. I'm not saying it's a make or break thing, but let's not pretend it isn't a weakness.

Fabregas has never played that position, he's always had an Alex Song/Busquets/Matic/Kante to do his dirty work.

Alonso and Barry prove that you can be great in that position without being fast yes, but not having pace is still a weakness that can and will be exploited, as was the case for both. I'm not saying it's a make or break thing, but let's not pretend it isn't a weakness.

It's not the be all and end all. Disliking someone because they're not lightning quick is absolutely ridiculous.

Not seen enough of him or Fabinho but its horses for courses.

Seems Pep wants someone to link defence and rest of the team with passing range more important than athleticism. From what I have seen this is more Carvalho but happy to be corrected.

Last edited:
In which case, isn't Yaya the better option?
Yes, I'd agree. But can't see YaYa playing 60 games next season. Maybe Carvalho comes in to play enough games to keep YaYa fresh - also covering
for injuries/suspensions - whilst having YaYa as his coach/mentor? In this way Carvalho gets to learn from a master, whilst YaYa gets to take steps
into coaching. The season after that, who knows - maybe Carvalho steps up into YaYa role, as YaYa takes a backup role and/or goes more into coaching (with City
-like Viera).
Besides that am curious as to whether what people call 'pivot' and 'defensive midfielder' are actually the same thing, even if they seem to play in the same kind of
are on the park. If not, maybe the players require different attributes - a DM would need more pace and mobility than a pivot, for example?

Hope this is a no go, good on the ball but his positional play is awful and his work rate makes Yaya look like a terrier.
He has been touted around Europe every transfer window for 3 years with no takers for good reason.

He played well today for Portugal again. Class player good value. No surprise then to see him linked again this evening. Centre mid for me needs a body more than centre back. Citywatch saying Pere is in Lisbon to negotiate a deal for him

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.