Women's World Cup

Gutting way to go out. I know I'll be popping down to a couple of the City matches if the price & times are right.

Bassett's mistake caused the own goal and knocked England out, however, for me, Toni Duggan needs to shoulder a fair degree of the blame for that too. She received the ball, with 60 seconds left, just inside the Japanese half, with only White in the half with her, and at least 5 Japanese defenders to beat. So she tries to pick White out with a 40 yard, defence splitting pass, that would come off maybe 1 in every 100 attempts. Why?!!! Grasp the situation the game is in, play the percentages, keep possession, drive for the corner, or play a simple 5 yard pass to a colleague. Let the team regroup, as the game had become very stretched, but whatever you do don't give away cheap possession and allow the Japanese to break (and ultimately score). Criminally poor decision making for me.

Bassett's mistake caused the own goal and knocked England out, however, for me, Toni Duggan needs to shoulder a fair degree of the blame for that too. She received the ball, with 60 seconds left, just inside the Japanese half, with only White in the half with her, and at least 5 Japanese defenders to beat. So she tries to pick White out with a 40 yard, defence splitting pass, that would come off maybe 1 in every 100 attempts. Why?!!! Grasp the situation the game is in, play the percentages, keep possession, drive for the corner, or play a simple 5 yard pass to a colleague. Let the team regroup, as the game had become very stretched, but whatever you do don't give away cheap possession and allow the Japanese to break (and ultimately score). Criminally poor decision making for me.
Yep, braindead football. Something that seems to affect lots of our players, both men and women.

Such a shame. Bassett looked to be having a great game otherwise, but will only be remembered for a piece of awful luck. We really had them on the rack in the second half (not sure about the first half as I fell asleep before both goals, but then got woken up at half-time when 1" hail-stones were battering the house). We really had a few good chances to win it. At least there's no penalty shame this morning, though, so every cloud....

You're right, but to be fair, that type of mistake was happening every five minutes in all the England games.

So cruel, but the last thing Laura Bassett needs, is all her team mates telling her that it wasn't her fault, with the cameras focussing on every emotion.
Get her pissed, have a sing song, and then make her captain against Germany on Saturday.

Such a shame, but they have done the sporting nation proud, and more importantly put the women's game firmly on the map. Brilliant and well done, to all the girls, Mark Sampson and his team.

Thats the problem with this nation now, how have they done us proud?

They have failed to win the World Cup, Im sure at the start of it, that is what the plan was.

Fucking failed at the semis, don't come home, you're an embarrassment!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.