Worlds biggest aircraft. Antonov 225.

This beast is coming into Manchester on Monday. Only its 2nd ever visit and rarely seen anywhere in the UK.

6i495x.jpg

Due to land 11.30am on Monday and depart Tuesday at 9am. Really is worth making an effort to see this aircraft makes anything else look tiny. Fair bit bigger than the A380.

33eo7m0.jpg

If I hear any updates of time changes/cancellation I will post on here, but at the moment its a day off work and a drive to Manchester for me. I'm sure El Presidente will be hanging out of his window for this one.
What a tit I am. Have just seen the date u posted it. Am only 9 years too bloody late!!!!!!

It's sister plane the An-124-100 has been active today flying for Antonov airlines who are Ukraine based, one flew into Rzeszow earlier and has just departed to somewhere 'north', looks likely to be Gdansk. Another flew from Constanta (Romania) to Marseilles (area).

I assume they are collecting supplies for Ukraine.

In the grand scheme of things in the Ukraine it is fairly insignificant but unfortunately The Russians have destroyed this unique aircraft. Antonov have vowed they will rebuild the Mirya but from pictures I've seen they will be starting from scratch.
Of no military value at all it was used frequently for humanitarian aid.

From wikipedia:

A second airframe with a slightly different configuration was partially built, construction was halted more than once due to a lack of funding and interest. This second aircraft was last brought up to 60–70% completion in 2009.

Perhaps they intend to finish off this second aircraft

As an aside, I’ve just read the thread from when she visited MAN back in 2013. I flew for flybe back then and had positioned down to MAN in a Dash 8 - which they parked next to the Myria (I think it was around what is now stand 81 around the western apron / cargo area) and then bussed us to T3 right past it. It was incredible and the Dash looked even more like a toy aeroplane than usual. Such a sad situation but pales into comparison against the loss of life out there. Hopefully a replacement can be rebuit in time as it will at least mean a symbol that Antonov / Ukraine is back on its feet again.

As an aside, I’ve just read the thread from when she visited MAN back in 2013. I flew for flybe back then and had positioned down to MAN in a Dash 8 - which they parked next to the Myria (I think it was around what is now stand 81 around the cargo area) and then bussed us to T3 right past it. It was incredible and the Dash looked even more like a toy aeroplane than usual. Such a sad situation but pales into comparison against the loss of life out there. Hopefully a replacement can be rebuit in time as it will at least mean a symbol that Antonov / Ukraine is back on its feet again.
hi, the antonov would of gone on stand 80, which was the old taxiway papa , it is immense ,we had the propeller antonov on 81 , and for a prop job again was monstrous, as an aside i used to work on the flybes back in the day, so most probably spoken to you now and again on the headset :)

From wikipedia:

Perhaps they intend to finish off this second aircraft
I am sure I read somewhere a few years ago that Antonov were collaborating with a company in China to make another 225. Don't know if this ever got further than discussions. Really hope it gets into the skies again.

hi, the antonov would of gone on stand 80, which was the old taxiway papa , it is immense ,we had the propeller antonov on 81 , and for a prop job again was monstrous, as an aside i used to work on the flybes back in the day, so most probably spoken to you now and again on the headset :)

Yes that makes sense - what is now Maverick the de-icing bay. I think our Dash was parked a bit further up on the 80s. Normally we’d grumble when parked up there but this time we were grateful!!!

I’m sure you probably did - I was MAN based 2008-10 with flybe but flew in there regularly from Scotland. The good old days of Flight Support :-)

Yes that makes sense - what is now Maverick the de-icing bay. I think our Dash was parked a bit further up on the 80s. Normally we’d grumble when parked up there but this time we were grateful!!!

I’m sure you probably did - I was MAN based 2008-10 with flybe but flew in there regularly from Scotland. The good old days of Flight Support :-)
went down hill when menzies got their hands on it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.