Wrestling Circa 1970

shadygiz said:
there was a documetary on the history of british wrestling on bbc4 a few weeks back

explained how they had to invent a persona to stand out from the rest.

some were given names and personas by managers

Ah at last a Mod emerges but I note Ducado remains sheltered by the others. I fully accept that names and personas were invented by managers, after all no one christens their son Big Daddy but I also note you have failed to answer the question. I fear the very integrity of Blue Moon is at stake because of your combined failure to respond to my initial point.

The endings were scripted but the beatings were real.

And the snot that showered the front row when Jim Breaks was on.

Well I'm a mod and I'm ITK on this so it's time some of you faced up to some unpleasant truths.

My dad got involved in a business venture with a wrestler some years ago setting up and promoting bouts. I was quite a bit younger and actually believed that wrestling was real. But I was brought down to earth with a crash when I heard two fighters discussing how they were going to play out the bout while in the back of the car on the way to the venue. To say I was shocked is an understatement. If I ever found out that Father Christmas didn't exist my whole belief system would collapse.

Prestwich_Blue said:
Well I'm a mod and I'm ITK on this so it's time some of you faced up to some unpleasant truths.

My dad got involved in a business venture with a wrestler some years ago setting up and promoting bouts. I was quite a bit younger and actually believed that wrestling was real. But I was brought down to earth with a crash when I heard two fighters discussing how they were going to play out the bout while in the back of the car on the way to the venue. To say I was shocked is an understatement. If I ever found out that Father Christmas didn't exist my whole belief system would collapse.

Don't worry, they were only saying that so you wouldn't get upset when one of them climbed onto the ropes and had his intestines rearranged by a flying headbutt.

I know this is a light hearted thread but if anyone wants to know more about how wrestling really works, just type "kayfabe" into wikipedia's search engine and a lot will be explained.

Although the article is more American-leaning the basics are the same.

Deepest Blue said:
I know this is a light hearted thread but if anyone wants to know more about how wrestling really works, just type "kayfabe" into wikipedia's search engine and a lot will be explained.

This post should have all offending words pixelated!!

That means all of it!!

Deepest Blue said:

Oh do try harder, clearly you are desperatly trying to be a Mod, sucking up to them with your search this for the truth rubbish and if you think I am fooled by Prestwich Blues 'well I'm a Mod and I was in the car ' crap, I'm not. I've been lied to before and it wont happen now.
I sat there every Saturday afternoon, mashed banana and sugar on thick white bread, (4 slices) as I booed McManus becasue he was cheating when he gave Big Daddy a forearm smash when he wasn't ready. Fortunatly just when I was fearing the worst, Big Daddy regained his strength and got him to submit. Fixed NEVER.

That McManus fellow was nothing short of a scoundrel. His terrible cheating was there for all to see, though he somehow managed to keep it hidden from the referee behind the sagging underbelly of, errr, Shirley. He was the Young of his day, the Bale of the 70's, dare I say it the Suarez of saturday...

Wresting was dead when they invented the TV replay with a hidden camera in that old biddie's handbag.

Let that be a lesson to us all...

This man was my hero and there was nothing untoward,dodgy or wrong about him! Any man who says otherwise will be batterd around the ring by my double axe handle!

wrestling1.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.