Your favourite promotion season?

85 - The Charlton game is my all time favourite game at Maine Road, and it was the first time I saw anything resembling glory

00 - The Blackburn game might be my all time favourite away game, partly for the fact that the final score completely flattered us, partly because I was lucky to get in the ground in the first place, and partly because getting promoted was such a surprise the season after the play offs

02 - A season of ace football, battering everyone and scoring loads of goals

Honourable mentions for 89 (I was 18, everything was great) and 99 (a few rags I know were upset we'd done it even though they'd just won the treble, and they call us bitter)

A tough one for me:

The football we played under Keegan in 2001/2 was swashbuckling and, at times, sublime. Ali B in particular.

The 1988/9 season, with a squad full of homegrown youngsters, was a period of palpable optimism at the club - and Bradford on the last day was an incredibly tense, but amazing end to the season.

The 1998/9 season was dour and turgid in the main, but provided the ultimate and utterly memorable denouement. Ditto 1984/5.

But for me, the 1999/2000 season was the most enjoyable, possibly because it was so unexpected. I'd have easily settled for mid-table at the outset. The finale at Ewood Park remains my favourite game to be at after the 6-1 and QPR. It felt amazing to be back at the top, something that seemed impossibly far away some eighteen months earlier.

Which promotion season do you have the fondest memories of?

Definitely 99-00

I mentioned this on the “Best atmosphere at Maine Road” thread, but there was something quite manic about the only season in living memory, where City genuinely overachieved, with extraordinary late comebacks, and outrageous slices of good fortune.

There were some early midweek victories over Ipswich and Portsmouth, where Weaver and Kennedy were magnificent. Add the late-season tension, and a fantastic camaraderie amongst the supporters, and for me it’s up there with the best.

The Keegan season; has to be. God, we played some exhilarating stuff in that campaign.

I've enjoyed all our promotion seasons however why I enjoyed the 84-85 one so much was I was earning very decent money and although I was married I didn't have kids.

So I went to loads of away games including Barnsley in the snow on New years Eve and then back to Manchester for an all night family piss up. They were very happy times.

Move on 17 years and the Keagan promotion season, whilst the football was fantastic, I had 2 kids no spare cash, my dad had passed away and it was a totally different experience.

Sorry for getting maudling and I must admit some of the footie we played that season was blistering. CTID

The Keegan season; has to be. God, we played some exhilarating stuff in that campaign.
This for me. It finally felt that we had a chance of success. I know it didn't transpire but I've never felt more optimistic, following a promotion, than that season. The game that did it for me was Norwich p, when Tiatto was sent off after 12 minutes and we still won 3-1.
Combining threads, that season there were only 3 teams we didn't beat and only one that 'doubled' us. Who were they?

This for me. It finally felt that we had a chance of success. I know it didn't transpire but I've never felt more optimistic, following a promotion, than that season. The game that did it for me was Norwich p, when Tiatto was sent off after 12 minutes and we still won 3-1.
Combining threads, that season there were only 3 teams we didn't beat and only one that 'doubled' us. Who were they?
Wasn't it Wimbledon who doubled us? 0-4 at home IIRC and then Pearce sent off at Selhurst?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.