Youri Tielemans

SCF08

Next big thing coming from Belgium. Just turned 16 a couple months ago but played superbly yesterday for Anderlecht in their first league match of the season.

Such calmness and composure on the ball, never mind the two footedness.

Anderlecht vs Lokeren
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIT27gfPZMI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIT27gfPZMI</a>

Pre-season friendly trick against HSV
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFYMttZMO9I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFYMttZMO9I</a>

Are the Belgians just getting lucky or have they made some kind of huge changes to their youth system?

pee dubya said:
Are the Belgians just getting lucky or have they made some kind of huge changes to their youth system?
Well, they are starting to play them more often. 5 years ago, most Belgian prospects moved to Holland because they would get more playing time there sooner (Dembele, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Chadli, Mertens etc) but the new generation is getting more chances sooner with Belgian clubs (Praet, Bruno, Tielemans).

The more often you expose your most talented younger players to first team football, the better they will get. And I don't mean first team football in Championship, League 1.

SCF08 said:
pee dubya said:
Well, they are starting to play them more often. 5 years ago, most Belgian prospects moved to Holland because they would get more playing time there sooner (Dembele, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Chadli, Mertens etc) but the new generation is getting more chances sooner with Belgian clubs (Praet, Bruno, Tielemans).

The more often you expose your most talented younger players to first team football, the better they will get. And I don't mean first team football in Championship, League 1.
That's more a money thing than a playing time thing, Chadli, Mertens and Dembele all broke through in the Belgian league. It's just that the Dutch teams watch the Belgian academies very closely and poach the best players. Dembele, Vermalen, Alderwereld and Verthongen all came from the same very small academy in Belgium (Germinal Beerschot), so clearly they are doing something right there

BigOscar said:
SCF08 said:
pee dubya said:

That's more a money thing than a playing time thing, Chadli, Mertens and Dembele all broke through in the Belgian league. It's just that the Dutch teams watch the Belgian academies very closely and poach the best players. Dembele, Vermalen, Alderwereld and Verthongen all came from the same very small academy in Belgium (Germinal Beerschot), so clearly they are doing something right there
Chadli and Mertens have never played a game in the Belgian Jupiler League.

Dembele and Vermaelen only played for 1 year in the Beerschot academy. Shame that that club went out of business a couple of months ago.

Guys like that wouldn't have been given a chance 5 years ago to develop themselves but this is massively changed. That's the main difference. The youth coaching from ages 8 till 15 is very good and very similar to that of The Netherlands.

SCF08 said:
BigOscar said:
SCF08 said:

Chadli and Mertens have never played a game in the Belgian Jupiler League.

Dembele and Vermaelen only played for 1 year in the Beerschot academy. Shame that that club went out of business a couple of months ago.

Guys like that wouldn't have been given a chance 5 years ago to develop themselves but this is massively changed. That's the main difference. The youth coaching from ages 8 till 15 is very good and very similar to that of The Netherlands.
Aye my bad, I assumed AGOVV were a Belgian side, mainly as I had no idea who they are (and still don't, they appear to be a borderline amateur team)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.