Sturgeon wants another referendum

The UK government needs to represent the UK people and as far as they are concerned there is no desperate desire to 'keep you'.

Take a look at this thread - we are not that desperate to keep you at all - have you really read many - actually any - posts that would demonstrate that we are?

No of course not - quite the opposite

It is only the sections of the Scottish communities that think the world should revolve around them - the 5m tail wagging the 60m dog. No we just think that you should get over yourselves - now is not your turn or time - next year won't we either nor any before 2021 - and the vast majority of UK citizens are totally fine with that
I have expressed broadly in such terms.

A lot of the above scenarios assume a hard Sexit.

But, as some of us FOCs know, soft Sexit is also a possibility.
Following Brexit Lithuania, followed by Portugal have decided to secede from the EU.
The BBC quoting Jean-Claude Juncker, ''First Lixit, then Porxit.''

Last edited:
It's ironic on here that many in the wake of the EU referendum voted for democracy and sovereignty but are prepared to stand in the way of that when it comes to national matters. Personally I don't see the problem, if they want to leave then that is their choice isn't it, again it's ironic after the last year but isn't choice what we ourselves voted for..?
No, it's not ironic at all. When you're part of a democratic UK, then priority should rightly be given to major issues that are currently affecting the UK. The single biggest issue affecting the UK at the moment is Brexit, by a country mile.

Why on earth should Westminster put the whim of Sturgeons attempted breakup of the union in front of others at such an important time for UK politics? The Scottish supposed once in a generation independence vote was only 2 years ago. Nobody is suggesting that there won't be opportunity for another referendum on Scottish independence in the future, but it's not going to happen at a time when it could be potentially damaging to the UK. Sturgeon tried to play the opportunist game and failed. It takes a great deal of naivety to believe that EU membership has any real importance at the heart of her political scheming.

Well, like her or not, Nicola has whipped up plenty of discussion. Our Brexit thread has fallen to p2 as this one rages on.

She and Salmond are actually pretty astute and personable politicians: a cut above the average.

Of course I have noticed the desire to tell us to fuck off. It's nearly every post. How we will run up a bigger debt
than Africa. How we will come back begging to be let back and promise not to get drunk and cause fights in shopping centres, blah mc blah.

I'm talking about the people who know the real cost and aren't as keen.
I hope for one minute you're not suggesting Sturgeon fits this criteria. Please tell me you don't get mugged off that easily?

Of course I have noticed the desire to tell us to fuck off. It's nearly every post. How we will run up a bigger debt
than Africa. How we will come back begging to be let back and promise not to get drunk and cause fights in shopping centres, blah mc blah.

I'm talking about the people who know the real cost and aren't as keen.

You'll survive without the UK, of course you will. Nobody is stupid enough to run up the debt to extreme levels while maintaining those levels of public investment.

What WILL happen though as a consequence of independence is that free University will be gone almost immediately. Public service investment will take a hit in numerous areas. Scotland won't become a wasteland but it will not be as well of for investment as it is today.

And if the Islands decide to stay with the UK rather than go with Scotland then you could have a really bad time in terms of claiming the oh-so-important oil due to the equidistant rule of territorial waters.

May cannot stop it, it's a manifesto pledge and voted for.

Technically May is under no obligation at all to allow a Scottish referendum and could just bareface say "no" and that would be the end of it until we had a new PM who could do the same. The Scots can't declare their own referendum obviously, it has to be granted to them and there's little reason to do so.

She has a point though, she was elected on a pledge to bring about another referendum if the circumstances of membership of the UK changed. Millions voted for UKIP demanding a referendum, are we seriously going to accept that all those people who voted leave including Farage wouldn't be demanding a second referendum if it had gone the other way?

Leaving the EU is a huge change and I think there is no reason to deny them anything. What is there to fear because if they voted to leave then who is to deny them that, if they vote to stay then Sturgeon and the purpose of the SNP for that matter will be totally destroyed.

Personally I think the sentiment would decide such a vote, does Scotland really care enough about the EU to leave the UK, I'm not so sure but it was very close the last time they were asked..

It's ironic on here that many in the wake of the EU referendum voted for democracy and sovereignty but are prepared to stand in the way of that when it comes to national matters. Personally I don't see the problem, if they want to leave then that is their choice isn't it, again it's ironic after the last year but isn't choice what we ourselves voted for..?
We had a referendum in 2014, a once in a lifetime vote according to salmond and sturgeon. The fact there has been a eu vote is imaterial, they will always agitate for another referendum ignoring the 2 million no voters who wish to be part of the uk. If you start overiding democracy then we are in a dark place. All people ask is that governments respectt he results of referendums regardless. Its very simple when its boiled down.
The snp did well at the last ge as a protest vote not because of a desire from the people of scotland to have another vote, all indicators point to the opposite so they can quote manifestos all they want.

You'll survive without the UK, of course you will. Nobody is stupid enough to run up the debt to extreme levels while maintaining those levels of public investment.

What WILL happen though as a consequence of independence is that free University will be gone almost immediately. Public service investment will take a hit in numerous areas. Scotland won't become a wasteland but it will not be as well of for investment as it is today.

And if the Islands decide to stay with the UK rather than go with Scotland then you could have a really bad time in terms of claiming the oh-so-important oil due to the equidistant rule of territorial waters.

Technically May is under no obligation at all to allow a Scottish referendum and could just bareface say "no" and that would be the end of it until we had a new PM who could do the same. The Scots can't declare their own referendum obviously, it has to be granted to them and there's little reason to do so.
This is what the SNP lovers are singularly refusing to accept. Any decision on future referenda are in the gift of the
British PM, I don't think she even has to consult parliament. The inconsequential pipsqueak, Farron is still banging on
about a referendum after Brexit is concluded, even though all amendments proposed by his half a dozen MP's and sundry
other bad losers, egged on by Gina G and Rod Stewart, have been roundly rejected.
It matters not one jot what the SNP, call for, it carries no weight whatsoever, and is rightly being ignored by the PM,
why they think they have a chance is baffling, other than a chest puffing overstatement of their importance.

It matters not one jot what the SNP, call for, it carries no weight whatsoever, and is rightly being ignored by the PM,
why they think they have a chance is baffling, other than a chest puffing overstatement of their importance.
I think it's more a case of making sure that people haven't forgotten them which considering they're actually in power up here is sad. Never mind, at least Magicpole still believes in them, he always reminds me of Pratchett's 'Small Gods' book. Perhaps I should call him Brutha from now on.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.