Defensive Midfield Targets/Options

I think other teams have caught up a bit since then.

And, Barry and De Jong were better than Delph and Gundogan.

Plus we had Tevez

Let's not lump Gundogan in with Delph. Gundogan is an outstanding central midfielder. He's a gifted passer and controls the ball while making runs forward exceptionally well. The defensive side of his game is also overlooked — he made the most interceptions at Dortmund in his last season which is ideal for our high-press game. Delph is decent: a solid mid-table type midfielder but not at the same world class level as Gundogan.

As for the idea that Barry and De Jong were better than Gundogan, that's crazy talk. They were decent as anchors but, De Jong in particular, had very limited passing and vision and didn't create many chances.

Whether the CDM role is best suited to him, I'm not sure — I think Fernandinho has one more year at the top level before his stamina and pace drop off even more. KDB and Silva look exhausted without the rotation in those more advanced roles so Gundogan will likely play there in addition to the CDM role he'll share with Fernandinho across the four competitions. Full-backs and goalkeeper are the main priorities for the summer.

Let's not lump Gundogan in with Delph. Gundogan is an outstanding central midfielder. He's a gifted passer and controls the ball while making runs forward exceptionally well. The defensive side of his game is also overlooked — he made the most interceptions at Dortmund in his last season which is ideal for our high-press game. Delph is decent: a solid mid-table type midfielder but not at the same world class level as Gundogan.

As for the idea that Barry and De Jong were better than Gundogan, that's crazy talk. They were decent as anchors but, De Jong in particular, had very limited passing and vision and didn't create many chances.

Whether the CDM role is best suited to him, I'm not sure — I think Fernandinho has one more year at the top level before his stamina and pace drop off even more. KDB and Silva look exhausted without the rotation in those more advanced roles so Gundogan will likely play there in addition to the CDM role he'll share with Fernandinho across the four competitions. Full-backs and goalkeeper are the main priorities for the summer.
Gundogan has never played as DM pivot, neither at BvB nor at City, yet his name is still mentioned in this thread. He's No8 playing from deep, similar to Xavi, Modric, Tielemans. He doesn't suit DM position at all.

Again, allowing Wanyama to move to Spurs for 11m no questions asked is poor for the standards we should be at. He is exactly the sort of DM we needed and is one of, if not the best in the league along with Kante.
I agree, Not one to cry over spilled milk but Wanyamas quality and potential was clear at Southampton. I thought at the time we should of been competing for him.

Speaking of realistic targets (Weigl, Llorente won't leave, Goretzka is probably Bayern-bound) - I would take a gamble on both Carvalho and Barkley and watch who survives.

Speaking of realistic targets (Weigl, Llorente won't leave, Goretzka is probably Bayern-bound) - I would take a gamble on both Carvalho and Barkley and watch who survives.
Llorente may leave if we put in a good fee.

Gundogan has never played as DM pivot, neither at BvB nor at City, yet his name is still mentioned in this thread. He's No8 playing from deep, similar to Xavi, Modric, Tielemans. He doesn't suit DM position at all.

He played four games from DM for us this season and made 21 appearances in the position for Dortmund in 2014/2015 (31 the season previous) so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Edit: Proof, exclude all positions but DMC (in Detailed)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.