William Carvalho

No one will ever replace Yaya, but we still have to look for a big, strong lad that can control ththe ball and th game from 20 yards from oir goal to 30 yards from theirs, distribute the ball with accuracy and timing, and slot back into the middle of the back four for build up play. Not sure if this lad is the one, but then if Yaya was 24, he would be commanding £100M!

Any "replacement" is going to have to bring something to the game that Yaya never really possessed, and that is bite and the tenacity to stop attacks 30-40 yards out, the brains to know how to defend the box from 25 yards out, and how to attack the ball on a defensive set piece.

Tall order.

No one will ever replace Yaya, but we still have to look for a big, strong lad that can control ththe ball and th game from 20 yards from oir goal to 30 yards from theirs, distribute the ball with accuracy and timing, and slot back into the middle of the back four for build up play. Not sure if this lad is the one, but then if Yaya was 24, he would be commanding £100M!

Any "replacement" is going to have to bring something to the game that Yaya never really possessed, and that is bite and the tenacity to stop attacks 30-40 yards out, the brains to know how to defend the box from 25 yards out, and how to attack the ball on a defensive set piece.

Tall order.
Thanks for reminding me I'm gonna live in a world without toure as a blue again :(

Thanks for reminding me I'm gonna live in a world without toure as a blue again :(
I think he will still do a job for us this year, but he obviously can't play every game. For me, the biggest thing is his weight and fitness. Last season, after the strop, he looked fit and hungry (both for football and food!), and he was outstanding when he played. This year, though, he has to help develop someone else to play that role. I was hoping it might be Aleix Garcia, as he came on and played that "holding mid, short pass, keep to ball moving" role in cameos. He may be a year or two away and lack a tackle, though, which is why I expect him to get a top tier loan move (he may have already??).

I know we don't often "retire numbers" like they do in American sports, but I'd be all for retiring 42 when Yaya finally hangs up his boots....and I expect him to be about 3 stone heavier when he comes to the ceremony on the Opening Day of the following season! ;-)

I think he will still do a job for us this year, but he obviously can't play every game. For me, the biggest thing is his weight and fitness. Last season, after the strop, he looked fit and hungry (both for football and food!), and he was outstanding when he played. This year, though, he has to help develop someone else to play that role. I was hoping it might be Aleix Garcia, as he came on and played that "holding mid, short pass, keep to ball moving" role in cameos. He may be a year or two away and lack a tackle, though, which is why I expect him to get a top tier loan move (he may have already??).

I know we don't often "retire numbers" like they do in American sports, but I'd be all for retiring 42 when Yaya finally hangs up his boots....and I expect him to be about 3 stone heavier when he comes to the ceremony on the Opening Day of the following season! ;-)
The world will be a sadder place without toure with a football at his feet. Don't think a new Pivot fits into the budget this window. Next window will be the time we say goodbye to toure and possibly Fernandinho.

The world will be a sadder place without toure with a football at his feet. Don't think a new Pivot fits into the budget this window. Next window will be the time we say goodbye to toure and possibly Fernandinho.
I agree on the goodbyes, especially with Fernandinho's age and contract ending in June 2018. It will be interesting to see how often we play two in th middle, and which two, and how often we pit on an extra attacking midfielder and have just the one...and who it is.

Both Fernandinho and Gundogan have the ability to get in and around the box, with Gundogan probably the better attacking threat, but neither of them are ever going to hit double figures like Yaya has in seasons past. With Ilkay's injury record and Fernandinho's age (and disciplinary record) it might be interesting to see just how we set up and and who plays where innth middle of the park. That pivot role is vital to the distribution of the ball down the lines for the flying full backs and the wingers, but also it has to be deadly accurate, because we are woefully exposed (with the full backs flying and ahead of the ball for long stretches of the game) when we lose possession.

If we get Walker and Mendy, the back 5 picks itself, but the choice of the front six will be an interesting dilemma for Pep and the most interesting part might be 1 or 2 in the middle and which 1 or 2. Late in the season when he was attacking late in the game, he pegged KDB as his second inside midfielder, which was an interesting choice. I'm not sure whether he sees that as KDB's best role (playmaker, top assister, and the ability to crack them in from anywhere within 35 yards) with the embarrassment of riches in the final third, but I can see some games looking like we have 7-8 attackers.

In any late game set up, it will be especially interesting to see who plays the "30 yard QB" position, distributing the ball left and right, and looking for the inside slant, because Yaya has perfected that role. Maybe, that will be his primary role next year...late game closer. I hope not, because I think he still has more to offer.

Seems like there's a good chance Arsenal are going to get Carvalho + Martins together for €90m, so we should soon see whether he's too slow for the premier league.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.