Fabian Delph

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to transfermarkt.de Fabian Delph has been out injured for 256 days in the last 2 seasons. I think that says everything. It does not help being good if you are fit less than half of the time. It makes sense to replace him with someone who can contribute.
Judging by that stat he's fit for MORE than half the time not less.

But again stats can be misleading. Who was competing for Ilkay's position and who for Fab's? Maybe if positions were reversed we might see a different picture.

As I said though I want to keep both of them.

What do you mean by positions reversed?

For me Gundogan is a far better player and is worth the gamble somewhat.

Delph is not worth the gamble for me. I do like him but he will never be more than a squad player for us, regardless of injuries.

And what are ilkay's stats for the same period?
Good point. Let's not start puttiñg too much pressure on a 17 year old lad who's had one half decent game in a pre season friendly. It's a squad game. With the FFP police waiting to pounce its imposible for us to have two world cĺass pĺayers for every position, we can't contìnue to discard every experienced fringe player we have, for virtually nothing, jùst because they don't come up to KDB or Merlin's standard

Last edited:
Comparing Gundogan's and Delph's injury record is flawed in more ways than just the quality of player. Gundo has had three entirely unrelated, serious injuries in his career, the first two he quite clearly recovered completely from, and with no reason to believe he won't completely recover from this one.

Delph has had niggles, pulls and tears to various body parts for a number of years. I rate Delph and really wanted him to make it here, I don't think he's ever disappointed and never looked out of place on the pitch, but as mentioned he isn't an absolute worldy to the point where you can mitigate his injury record. He needs to drop a level where he is first choice when fit, which in itself will probably improve his injury record with regular game time.

I believe Gundogan has been really unlucky picking up two serious season ending injuries, the likes you hope just don't happen again.

Delph however just appears to be constantly picking up niggling injuries, and takes forever to recover from them. He played well and scored against Hull, then was immediately injured yet again.

I believe he had constant issues whilst at Villa too, which is why I'd rather his squad position was given to someone that was more than likely to be less injury prone.

Already Foden is streets ahead of him in my humble opinion.
I think it's a wee bit early to say a lot about Foden other than potential as he's not played any first team competitive matches. But my main point is that Foden and Delph would have rather different roles Foden would be for opening games up but Delph more for closing them down.

I think it's a wee bit early to say a lot about Foden other than potential as he's not played any first team competitive matches. But my main point is that Foden and Delph would have rather different roles Foden would be for opening games up but Delph more for closing them down.

The potential is real imo and we should harness it. Clearly Foden is more creative and I seem to recall some folk saying that Delph should have been given a run at left full last season. Even if he could stay fit which does not seem likely I am not sure he offers very much to the team and for his own career really needs to move on and the best of luck to him.

Who would we replace Delph with? Before anyone says Foden & Diaz, they're both creative/attacking midfielders as opposed to a tackling/defensive role that Delph would play, so who would we bring in or promote?

Or, could we afford to leave that replacement until next summer? We currently have Dinho, Yaya and Gundogan (ish) who can play as a holding midfielder, although I'd worry about either of the latter two being the only shield in front of the defence.

Personally I'd keep Delph this year as backup/competition for Dinho & if he isn't up to keeping fit then get rid next summer and replace him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.