Kylian Mbappe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the lad wants PSG. He's Parisian. His family live there. They are all PSG fans.

It's easy to say Khaldoon dropped the ball, but it's possible that we would have had to go even further to get him than potentially PSG would. The line has to be drawn somewhere.

Ultimately, I agree, we still lack that killer edge, but it's hard to look at the abundance of quality we brought in, essentially refitting our entire back line, and say that not getting Mbappe is undoing all our hard work.
Have you seen Le Parisien report?

What I know is that City aren't prepared to pay Monaco's asking price. No issues with Mbappe's contract or his dad's %. So this is about principle for our owners and 'value' as they see it. Fair enough. They've done more than enough to earn the right to walk away from whatever deal they want. But for me, it's principled to a fault. A bit like Pep not wanting Sanchez to kick up a stink because he'd never want one of his own players doing that. Highly admirable and ethically great. But in the real world, UEFA hate us, we are panned on a daily basis for what we spend, and players are constantly agitating for moves around the globe.

Agreed but morality and ethics seems to be directly with linked inversely with the new transfer market.

Totally agree. I also think we've done a great job in the players have brought in. Kudos to Txiki and Pep.

Notwithstanding that, 4 players for three key positions, where one of those 4 has a history of injuries suspensions, is the kind of risk you don't take when your chairman talks big about "don't congratulate me on third" and "we expect to win everything".

It's still a great squad though.

No reason not to set the bar at the top. And ok to be 'disappointed' if we don't get there.

But, unless the whole thing goes backwards, if it turns out we miss our targets but look well on the way, we can be 'disappointed' & maybe critical of some decisions, but then just fix it & move up another level.

The big thing I want to hear, is something concrete about Pep staying on.

Whaterver happens this season, imo if he is committed to seeing it through, he will build the team we dream of. It will happen, I'm certain.

But if he fucks off after next season, it was all just a quickie in the pub car park rather than anything serious.

What I know is that City aren't prepared to pay Monaco's asking price. No issues with Mbappe's contract or his dad's %. So this is about principle for our owners and 'value' as they see it. Fair enough. They've done more than enough to earn the right to walk away from whatever deal they want. But for me, it's principled to a fault. A bit like Pep not wanting Sanchez to kick up a stink because he'd never want one of his own players doing that. Highly admirable and ethically great. But in the real world, UEFA hate us, we are panned on a daily basis for what we spend, and players are constantly agitating for moves around the globe.

Yep, that sounds about right. I must say I'm surprised at Pep, if only because he should surely have realised after a year in the firing line, that the press in this country is a demented, click driven, banshee of an institution that will stick the knife into him and/or City, whether he conducts himself like St Francis of Asissi or Oliver Reed on a chat show with a free bar.
I presume the 'fair value' forces were at play when it came to Van Dyke as well then? If so, a great shame, as with VVD and Mbappe added to the squad I think we'd have been virtually unassailable next season

Agreed. Either PSG have sufficient FFP-compliant funds, or they aren't signing him. Even in the extremely unlikely event that they fall foul of FFP again, there's a range of sanctions up to disqualification from competition, and I cannot remotely imagine UEFA would impose that.
Well we have more indications (following Jason Burt's article and tweets) that the world hasn't gone mad after all. I have a bit more respect now for the PSG owners. They really do know what they are doing. As Billy says we should pursue our interests aggressively but at the same time it is folly to go up against the regulators of the sport.

Lets see how morals and ethics play out with this specific deal though.

We may get a case where PSG show their hand in the final weeks and Monaco pick up the phone to us and say "30 mil less than that and he's yours" knowing they take less of a shot on the chin if he leaves France.

Also, PSG may never bid and Monaco's valuation is based on the assumption there's a line of potential buyers.

I think there has to come a point where every club has a price that they're prepared to pay and if City have decided this one is too much of a stretch then that's fine by me. Let PSG do things their way and we do things ours IMO. I'm finding it difficult to criticise our transfer activity this window as I feel we've done some superb business and vastly upgraded our full-back and goalkeeping positions. We've had far worse windows than this such as the car crash of Summer 2012 when we should've been kicking on from our title win and ended up with a haphazard bunch of signings.

Mbappe is clearly a star in the making and it would be fantastic if we got him but if we don't it's not the end of the world as we already have a great squad, plus we could have our very own star in the shape of Foden in the very near future and I'm very much looking forward to seeing him (and Diaz) develop this season.

Anyway, if these latest reports are true then it might just be that PSG are giving it a swerve as well. Maybe he'll remain at Monaco this season and get sold next summer. Personally, I think with a World Cup coming up that might be the best option for Mbappe.

Well if there's only City in this, we'd be stupid to pay what Monaco want. Are we still in it as far as you know. It sounds like it would be very stupid to pull out when we are the only bidder at the table. Would you trust Le Parisien report? It is what we want to hear, but it sounds very logical and believable to me

Monaco's alleged valuation is far, far too high – whilst the lad could potentially be one of the best players in the world... the key word is potential, and to value him not far off Neymar's fee is ridiculous... £100mil would be madness too, but it's about the fee we should be paying.

I can see UEFA going full pelt of punishment to be honest. They have to show they aren't the corrupt old UEFA and that they full implement the punishments for rule breaking accordingly. To be honest the PSG chairman comes across as a bit of a big headed twat so I'm glad if they wipe that smug look of the twats face

If I was a somebody at UEFA I would issuing a pre-emptive statement now, reminding everyone of their duty to work within limits and reminding everyone that punishments will be implemented. No excuses then for any team that abuses F.F.P. and UEFA can come down heavy.

Have you seen Le Parisien report?

About FFP? Yes.

I'm not saying he's 100% off to PSG (though it's understandable why he'd want to go), just I take issue with the premise that anything other than signing Mbappe represents a failure in the transfer window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.