We've got enough....

Would I love Mbappe or Sanche - yes. Would I love them at any transfer price and salary - no. Getting a diva on a salary out of scale with the other players has good potential to upset the team chemistry. Pep wants players who are similarly motivated and pulling for each other. He's got that in his squad as it stands. If we add a star striker, it has to be on reasonable terms.

We don't have enough for the simple reason that if we play 3-5-2 (as we did in pre season) an injury to one of our centre backs mean either Tosin or Mangala has to play or we change formation. An injury to Jesus of Aguero means playing Sterling up front or a change in formation.

Last season Nolito and Iheanacho had 39 league appearances between them. They have not been replaced. Kolarov had 28 league appearances the majority of which were at cetre back.

Our team is quite versatile. I don't think we'll stick with 3-5-2 all season. A new cb would definitely be helpful. Although I do think we could see fernandinho, mendy and even yaya feature at cb in 3-5-2 if injuries were to come up. up front I have no concerns over depth. Is Pep the one who played Fabregas as a false 9 at Barca? Regardless, either silva or de bruyne could feature there without us dropping off.

weird lineups that i can see pep trying. remember he prefers small squads. though i know he says we need a bit more...

-----stones--yaya--ota------
walker-----dinho------mendy

kompany injury (dinho <-> yaya) either way.. can't remember if pep is the one played yaya at cb at barca

walker-----kompany--ota-----mendy
----------------gundo------------------
--------b.silva---------kdb-------------
raheem----------silva----------sane

kun & jesus both hurt :(.. yaya could come in for gundo. kdb, b silva, silva all interchangeable. or throw raheem central and b. silva or d. silva wide.

idk i think we are okay without another major signing. sanchez just adds quality more than depth for me. a cb might be needed for depth

Last edited:
Imagine not buying a centre half and Kompany getting injured after the transfer window shuts..

We would be mad to trust Kompanys fitness regardless of how he's looked in pre season.

Our team is quite versatile. I don't think we'll stick with 3-5-2 all season. A new cb would definitely be helpful. Although I do think we could see fernandinho, mendy and even yaya feature at cb in 3-5-2 if injuries were to come up. up front I have no concerns over depth. Is Pep the one who played Fabregas as a false 9 at Barca? Regardless, either silva or de bruyne could feature there without us dropping off.

We need a centre back as we are relying on Kompany to stay fit. Pep has said he wants to play 3-5-2 in the big matches, what happens if Kompany is out before a match against Chelsea or United?

We need a forward, if we don't sign one I expect every team we play to kick Aguero and Jesus off the park hoping to emulate Arsenal in the semi final last year. Silva was kicked around Wembley and got injured, we didn't have a player to replace him so we rejigged the entire team. Moving KdB or Silva up front will weaken the team in other areas.

We need a centre back as we are relying on Kompany to stay fit. Pep has said he wants to play 3-5-2 in the big matches, what happens if Kompany is out before a match against Chelsea or United?

We need a forward, if we don't sign one I expect every team we play to kick Aguero and Jesus off the park hoping to emulate Arsenal in the semi final last year. Silva was kicked around Wembley and got injured, we didn't have a player to replace him so we rejigged the entire team. Moving KdB or Silva up front will weaken the team in other areas.

i edited that post. but yea i think a cb would be nice. another forward of high quality would make getting into the starting lineup very competitive. neither would disappoint me... but i don't think we'd be doomed without another signing.

Must admit, I think we are short a defender or two. If we play a back 3 a good percentage of the time we need at least two in reserve for injuries and rotation. If Tosin is going to be one of those, great, he should get plenty of minutes next to the senior players. But we still need another.

I'm a bit unsure about fullbacks too. I suppose Sane could play lwb with a back 3 (though he's yet to impress there) and dinho can drop in from time to time, but having only 3 sounds like asking for trouble. One gets injured and we have no fullbacks to come in an rotate, let alone on the bench.

Guardiola's confirmed at today's press conference that there "will be more deals".

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.